Bravely Default Battle System?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I hope this suggestion doesn't seem like a pain ot anything, but there's a battle system I'd really think wouls be a fun one to implement for RPG Maker!

So, what's this Bravely Default, and its battle system? It's essentially a classic Final Fantasy-styled RPG, so classic that they eschew the common ATB in favor for a more standard turn based system, with the order of actions being based on battlers speed, and happening after you set your actions. Not very strategic, and overly bland, eh?

However! To make things interesting, and to give the Guard command more of a purpose, characters now have BP, with a minimum of 0 needed to have a turn. Guarding (or Defaulting, as it's called in game) allows you to gain an extra BP that turn, which can be saved up to 3 (though Templar can have up to 4). Certain actions can also spend BP, but standardly, you won't lose BP by just doing normal actions (read: taking an action at 0 BP means you have -1 BP afterward, but regenerate back to 0).

So, what's the OTHER point of BP? That's where Brave comes in. At any point, you can assign your characters to Brave, allowing them to take an extra action that turn. But wait, you can actually Brave THREE times, which can give a player four attacks... and also uses up 4 BP for the turn (or more, depending on BP costs for some skills). Enemies can also use Brave and Default, so it's not quite an INSTANT WIN button.

Optionally, one could also implement the Bravely Second mechanic, which allows the player to stop time, and take actions instantly, at any point in the battle, and even Brave additional attacks, for the price of SP, Second/Sleep Points. But this is totally optional.

Is this possible, or not really?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't think it would be too hard to implement, as al you'd need is a variable to store your BP, and adding the two commands, and some way to tell how much BP was used. Too bad I know Ruby and not JavaScript.

I think you might be able to event this though with Yanfly's scripts. See if they have a script that lets you add custom commands to the battle system out yet, and maybe with that, and add a state that gives you Action times + 100% each time you use brave. Would require a stacking states script though, else all you'd ever get is 2 actions, and I'm not sure yet how you could get it to let you go to negative BP yet with purely eventing.

I'll keep an eye on this and see what develops though. Maybe once I finish my JavaScript training? Though that's 12 - 18 months in the future, so best see if someone else will do it before then.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
As far as I know, Action Times + means nothing in Yanfly's ATB. So you'll either need Ellye's ATB, possibily with compatibility patches to Yanfly plugins, or Doublex RMMV Popularized ATB Core, which is already compatible with Yanfly's Battle Engine Core, although possibly not with some other Yanfly plugins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There's a new born faction in my country called "Sunda Empire" claiming they have right to rule over the earth and sun... I don't know what to feel...
Quon is watching you
Quon blessed your good efforts
I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD
Sometimes you may feel helpless and defeated. But everyone loses from time to time. It's okay to be tired. Take a breather. Have a good cry if you need to. You gotta take breaks from your workout, or you'll collapse before you can get stronger.
So, my roommates wrote a news article in English, translated it into Bengali with google translate and now I'm helping them fix the monstrosity which was the result. Making English the medium of education is fine... but not to an extent that we forget how to write properly in our own language :")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xCanopus