Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just finished Bravely Default the other day for the NintendoDS.  dayum, that game was long (nearly 110 hours - but I also did about almost everything).  This was a fun title for the most part in comparison to other SE games I've played.

Story: 8/10  Is very well thought out and a lot of the events that go onto the game are very detailed.  Although, the 'true ending' leaves much to desired and sets it up for the second game it leaves you with questions unanswered.

Gameplay:  6/10  The game play, for the most part wasn't too bad.  The combat system was innovative and interesting.  However, the combat system does suffer from "omg take butt loads of damage" as well as bosses spamming the same move over and over.  Some may find this challenging, I do not as I feel that you're winning on blind luck for the most part.  With the exception of some battles to that 'hint' you a nasty move is coming, it's ridiculous even at capped levels how much damage a PC will take.  With all the jobs the game offers, you would think you would have a handful of solutions to take down a boss.  This is not the case, certain fights pretty much require a certain job ability, if you don't have it you're in trouble.  Abilities such as Spiritualist "Fairy ward" or "Enigma".

The whole world repeating thing was interesting, but it felt repetitive with the same boss battles (just more detailed story for that alternate world).  Almost 60% of the game is part of this.  It felt very un-refreshing.

A final note about damage cap, as with most SE games usually you can only do 9999 damage.  In this case, in order to break this, you must use something called Bravely Second.  You only get three uses max to use and if you want to refresh this, the DS must be in sleep mode for it to 'recover' every 8 hours.  Or you can P2W instead (NOT a fan of).  I feel that damage cap could have been quest related rather than relying on the P2W feature.  While I never had to use it, I'd rather take on a tough limit break cap quest so I can go beyond 9999 damage.  The other use however for using this ability as you do get a free turn while the boss is 'frozen', so you get to go first.  I normally don't leave my game units in sleep mode, they're usually off.  It's somewhat  of a put down, especially if you forget to charge your unit.

Sound:  10/10  I will give the sound department an A+.  This is one of those few hand held games that had a great soundtrack as well as the amount of voice overs in it.  Some of the voice overs were a bit cheesy but I still enjoyed them and the voice actors brought the characters to life very well.  I'm amazed how much voice overs are in Default.  I don't think I've seen as much packed into a hand held game to be honest.

Overall 7/10:

Not a bad game if you weed out the annoyances of certain game play aspects but overall an enjoyable and challenging game.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would increase the gameplay's score and decrease the story's score. Not only because of the repeating everything several times, but because what was going on was obvious the entire time and it takes so many chapters for the characters to realize it.

And the gameplay was better than anything I ever had on a jrpg with turn based battles.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The repeating thing felt like a way to appease gamers desire of having to have RPG games that are 30+ hours (like how gamers complain when a game does not have a single player, no matter how pathetic or tact-on it would be).

Edit: I really like the game till that point and then never finished it due to it being so repetative. :/

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
The game play score is a combination of the combat system (which was great!) along with the story game play with it.  Since it got so repetitive, that's why I feel the score should be as is.  The game story as repetitive as repeating worlds is, the characters felt like they had 'no choice' but to follow evil Navi's advice.

As a player, I already knew Navi was up to something (aka Airy).  It's like watching Game of Thrones, but you already read the books knowing the characters are doomed or screwed lol.

Pretty much on the dime AwesomeCool, other than a bit added story for the boss characters, each chapter after 5 was nothing but repeated boss battles and eventually a combination of them.  Challenging, but not refreshing.

Hopefully, Bravely Second won't be as repetitive.

Edit:  My sheer disappointment is Agnes and Tiz never hooked up as much as the game TEASED it (dayum you Edea /slap)

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't feel you absolutely needed certain abilities to win boss fights. They made some of the fights easier to handle, but they also took up precious slots for better unit abilities like duel wielding or cutting magic cost. After the first cycle my team was Dark Knight with pirate skills(Tiz), Songstress with black magic (Agnes), Time Mage with white magic(Ringabel), and Valkyre with crusader skills(Edea). With this setup I pretty much wiped the floor with any boss fight I came across and I never got a game over. As for the bravely second if you strategize and manage your party optimally, you never needed to use them. They were there if you really needed to use them, but for the most part they are completely ignorable.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Uzuki:  I didn't have to rely on abilities per say until the final Airy fight in the Dark Aurora.  That weak all then flare back to back just wrecked me.  No character could withstand the attack (would deal 5000+ damage).  Before then, I either used a Super Tank Method with a Ninja for bosses/fights or 3 attacks and 1 support.

If I didn't have stillness in effect or Enigma I was boned, as Bender would say!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I second Utlimacj on the bosses requiring certain combos. I had a party of all level 99's that could still be one hit KO'd in the final fight by Airy if she used the right move or a bunch of Braves in one turn to spam it, which I personally think is pretty ridiculous. But that's my $0.02 on it.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I quit the game somewhere halfway because my on-level party composition (1 tank, 1 heal, 2 DPS) couldn't deal with a boss. Then I read in some guide you could use a certain combo of classes (none of which I had any points in) to beat it super easily and I just gave up on it. I already wasn't enjoying it that much before I got to that point, but when you can't even beat the bosses without investing in classes you don't want to play and while playing what should be a pretty normal party composition I have no interest in playing more.

The best things about Bravely Default were the soundtrack and graphics, both of which are amazing.

I didn't like any of the main characters (though Edea could be fun sometimes). The story was as simple as you could get. The writing was pretty meh, and some dialogue just dragged on for way too long without going anywhere. The combat system wasn't particularly interesting, even when you consider it was based on old school RPGs, although the customisation it offered was nice.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't remember ever having trouble with bosses. Maybe I picked better classes or something.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Is it sad that I find the normal ending to be a better ending than the true ending? You don't even have to do the same four bosses five times in order to reach it. Anyways, my final thoughts on this game was what I expected the game to be when I finished it about a year ago. 'Misused Potential' is how I would sum it up.

This was mostly with the characters, I felt this should be separate from story in terms of rating. Tiz was extremely boring and seemed to forgot that his brother was dead for over half the game. Agnes was just annoying with her blind religious faith. Ringabel and Edea, on the other hand, I thought were extremely well done characters fitting the tone of the game by being bother humorous with serious backstories and development. Outside of the playable cast, I felt that over 3/4 of the Asterisk holders were just there just to be there and contributed nothing to any of the character's development or overarching plot.

I prefer a bad story with good characters over a good story and bad characters, and I felt Bravely Default kind of went in the middle of that by having an okay story with only half the characters being interesting. Leaving a lot to be desired with it's writing.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ Seacliff you have to understand about Tiz though, that wasn't Tiz.  Remember a greater spirit was possessing him and when all was said and done, the spirit returned the vessel back to the grave.  Tiz never survived the attack on his village.  It's vaguely explained but the videos about Bravely Second tell otherwise, so I can see why he didn't mention his brother much other than the scenes with Egil.  I will agree about Agnes she was very blind and a lot of times too emo of a character.  Ringabel was awesome, that guy was such a player :p   As for Edea, she was the strong willed and 'moral compass' of the party.  She was awesome.

Alhough I think Agnes might have been different if her and Tiz would have just kissed at least once.  I hate games/tv shows that tease that crap.  But then again, Tiz wasn't Tiz so I guess that's somewhat excusable lol.

In end, they were somewhat lazy with it.  It was a good idea to begin with, but just didn't pan out right.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@ Seacliff you have to understand about Tiz though, that wasn't Tiz.  Remember a greater spirit was possessing him and when all was said and done, the spirit returned the vessel back to the grave.  
That slipped my mind. The plot point was officially thrown in right before the final boss and was brought up so causally. I think they could've done much more with it... which loops back around to the phrase 'Misused Potential'.

I am interested in Bravely Second though, Magnolia seems like a fun addition to the cast and the new classes seem a lot more innovated. I also approve of the new music artist, even though Revo Link Horizon (composer of the first game) has a better track record. I mean seriously, he's apart of the Attack on Titan opening.

Chaneque

Prince of Strange Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All I have to say is that Ringabel is bae. His hair is amazing! I loved it so much, and a lot of my amusement in the game came from giving Ringabel classes with silly outfits.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ringabel looked like Elvis with performer :)   I leveled that specifically to him because of that outfit lol.

Too bad the ending didn't show what gal he hooked up with, or maybe he hooked up with tons.  He's a player.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I played the demo when it first came out, and I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure what it was, but something about the battle system wasn't clicking with me. I'm considering trying it again, though. After playing some of the older Final Fantasy games, I'm falling in love with these games that revolve around job systems. It doesn't hurt that the job outfits in this game look equally adorable and ridiculous. Also I hear the sequel might be coming out sometime this year, which has kind of reignited my interest.

Is the whole "you must have so-and-so job to get through this part" really that prominent, though? Because I really dislike when a game pushes certain jobs onto you. I like to pick jobs that mesh well with the characters' background/personality. Also, call me shallow, but I tend to gravitate towards jobs whose outfits look pleasing to me. I want my party lookin' good, and if a job has a useful skill but is super ugly, I might not use it. xD

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is the whole "you must have so-and-so job to get through this part" really that prominent, though? Because I really dislike when a game pushes certain jobs onto you. I like to pick jobs that mesh well with the characters' background/personality. Also, call me shallow, but I tend to gravitate towards jobs whose outfits look pleasing to me. I want my party lookin' good, and if a job has a useful skill but is super ugly, I might not use it. xD
When I played, walkthroughs say you can do other combinations but it's more so difficult to do so.  I prob could have lived without the spiritualist job, since my white mage/time mage assuming I was defending took take on the onslaught of the boss prior to the final boss, but he would be the only one standing.  IMO it felt a MUST to have Group-Cast all + Cures/Reraise.  Otherwise you coulnd't Reraise everyone or use Arise (raise but at max HP) back up in one turn -- you would have to use several turns.

With so much variety the game had to offer, I felt for the last two fights it really hurt it.

amaSenpai

LP: amaSenpai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really enjoyed this game. I got my husband to play it and its one of the few we both like. (I'm an RPG gal and he's a RTS guy)

I think it would have been better if some of the characters had better or more interesting personality growth, but since my favorite was Edea its fine. She had enough personality to carry Agnes for me.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I played through this on Hard and without referencing walkthroughs (around the time you realize something was up with Airy, at which point beating every boss was a cakewalk) until near the end and didn't really have much trouble outside of the optional bosses.

You get an Angel Bow in your traveler store fairly early on once you start building up your town and having one makes it easy to just destroy everything the game throws at you (at least, until halfway through maybe). This was great because at the first half of the game I was scoring EXP/JP from fights I had to barely do anything in. I had each of the four in my team rotate between roles as well, sometimes making Tiz the support so Agnes could have a turn at mastering offensive classes, and so on ensuring the entire team would have fairly flexible build options down the line.

I thought the battle system was pretty good for what it was: a nice throwback to FF's traditional system with a wrinkle thrown in to keep it fresh. The execution of the class and skill learning system seems basic at first blush as well, but had all the potential of breaking the whole game (a la FFT) for anyone willing to really dig their teeth into it.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I LOVE this game.  I would have liked more variance as you travelled from one reality to the next, but I did enjoy the multiple realities mechanic.  Battles were super fun, and with all the abilities available, it stayed interesting.  The graphics were gorgeous, and OMG THE MUSIC!!! 

I am eagerly awaiting the sequel!

Talotta91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Is there a particular game you'd compare it to? Heard good things was interested in buying it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's raining...in winter :")
I was stunned-STUNNED-to find that I have been working on my current project since November. It feels like so much less time than that.
Stream will be live shortly with some art! Going to do a recolor, then start on a new monster! Feel free to drop by!
I've been busy working on other projects this month so I haven't been able to do much towards finishing the prep work for my RPG, but I did brainstorm some interesting ideas for the game.
redrawing one of three my VNM protags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucansan