Bravely Second v Bravely Default, should I play?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never finished bd, I like the classes/combat, but it felt very grindy and also like certain mechanics were over my head, like I never figured out any really good combos besides pirate and free lunch. I did get pretty far though
I killed lying airy
, however by then the story just seemed like such a mess and I was tired of playing so I quit and gave the game away.

However I just finished octopath and now I'm kinda itching to play bravely second. I dont really remember much about the world, just that it seems like everyones motivations kept changing. I'm on the fence and I feel like if I jump in I'm not going to know whats going on. I do know about the ending of BD.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
For your spoiler, isn't that one of the endings? I think you technically beat the game.

I personally liked BD but haven't beaten BS. What's weird is I think the reasons why I didn't beat BS would also stop me from replaying BD. What I did love in BD was the story and world. BS seems to be more of the same in a good way.

My real answer is very simply this; Do you already own BS? If yes, then play it, the worst you'll waste is some time and you might find a great game in it. If not, I can't say you should buy it, but maybe look into borrowing from a friend (maybe play the demo if it has one).

BENI_MARU

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To me, BS is more of the same of BD. A lot of environments are reused, and the story is even messier in some ways. Id say avoid it if you didn't really enjoy the first one.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've heard both games are pretty garbage. I couldn't get more than 15 mins into either of them. I wouldn't waste my time if I were you, better games are out there.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd have to buy it; but I'm going to look for something anyway now. I really was just interested in some of the classes, they sounded really out there. THANK YOU GUYS :kaoluv:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Seeing HumanNinjaToo's avatar reminds me, have you played Four Heroes of Light? That was definitely fun and BD is sort of a 'spiritual sequel' to it, but things are overall simpler, including the story.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played the demo for the second and really enjoyed it. Reminds me to go get the full version now.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I love the Bravely series. It's kinda like a love letter to the classic JRPG formula but with some new mechanics. They're both pretty grindy.. but if you put in some creative effort, you can make some pretty game breaking class/skill combos! The stories are a bit.. simple.. the characters are also a bit simple. But I enjoyed the over all feel of them both. Bravely Second was definitely better than Bravely Default in my opinion.

-MIA

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seeing HumanNinjaToo's avatar reminds me, have you played Four Heroes of Light? That was definitely fun and BD is sort of a 'spiritual sequel' to it, but things are overall simpler, including the story.
I'm having trouble finding somewhere to purchase at a reasonable price :dizzy:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I played the demo for the second and really enjoyed it. Reminds me to go get the full version now.
The demo for Bravely Second or Bravely Default 2? Because those are different things XD The 2 demo really makes me want to go back to Second since it was so much fun I maxed out everything possible.
I'm having trouble finding somewhere to purchase at a reasonable price :dizzy:
Oh that sucks, I always forget about that.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I personally found Bravely Second to be one of the best Final Fantasy-styled games, period. I can understand some of the complaints for it, but I never understood some people's overwhelming hatred for it. The majority of reused content was optional, a ton of world building simply glanced over in Bravely Default was better utilized, and new mechanics like Spell-crafting should just be the standard for JRPGs in general.

RayGarden7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never finished bd, I like the classes/combat, but it felt very grindy and also like certain mechanics were over my head, like I never figured out any really good combos besides pirate and free lunch. I did get pretty far though
I killed lying airy
, however by then the story just seemed like such a mess and I was tired of playing so I quit and gave the game away.

However I just finished octopath and now I'm kinda itching to play bravely second. I dont really remember much about the world, just that it seems like everyones motivations kept changing. I'm on the fence and I feel like if I jump in I'm not going to know whats going on. I do know about the ending of BD.
Yeah go for it you might find that you actully like part 2 even more if your still not certain try playing part 1 you could always pick up a copy at Gamestop if your a pro member you will get $5 gift certificate and they have sales this week you might find it for less

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Power has been restored FINALLY to our home in Lake Charles. Hurricane Laura tried to wreck our lives and disrupt my work on the commercial project i have going with Cloud 9 but the key word is TRIED!!! Slowly moving from the shelter to home over the next week or so. I WILL NOT QUIT!
I am happy because the RPG Maker MZ character comes with extra bust and full body art, but I am disappointed because the quality of the character's PIxel art has decreased.
Only My Opinion that Pixel art MV is better.
I think my SV will be weird, but I would love to change it up.

"Signature characters" - the mascots of your game. Cute, quirky, lovable, recognizable.
i.e.
Kirby, Disgaea prinnies, creepers, Sonic, Mario, DQ slimes, pikachu (all starters), chocobos.

You see what I'm saying.
Getchu one.
Made a video showcasing a plugin that changes the animation rate for animated tiles in our games.

(Plugin by Caethyril )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katana100