Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey!

We're currently developing a horror game which breaks the fourth wall often to freak out the player.

Is there a potential way a character can say the name of the player's PC profile?

So the player doesn't input their name, but the game searches for the PC name and says it.

example:
Someone is named 'Alex' and so their PC account is named 'Alex'.
The game might display a message that says "Hi Alex. How are you?" with the intended effect of freaking out the player.

The reason it can't be a user input is that it makes it obvious that it's going to utilize that. Whereas if it searches for the PC profile, it will completely shock the player when they see their name appear.

Thanks ^_^

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not really - Browsers (and MV creates browserbased games) are written to keep everything they process inside a "sandbox", intentionally preventing websites from getting access to local data, because if that were easy then virus-infected websites could infect your computer.

So that is absolutely impossible unless the user allows the program to get access there.

Rhaeami

The Sleepy-Eyed One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I know that the game OneShot does something like this, but I'm not sure how they did it. @Andar, is that a new restriction with MV as opposed to previous RPG Makers?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rhaeami neither
It is the way browsers are intentionally written, and the MV-games have always been browserbased because that is how they could deploy to multiple devices.
Off course there are ways around that - otherwise you wouldn't need virusscanners because if that sandbox were perfect, browsing would never get you a virus from the internet.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The most common way around it is using an ActiveX object, which I don't think is possible in MV.

ItzTerry

Magician of Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could have the player character complete some survey by an npc, and make them forget about it later on.

That is, assuming the player does not insert answers such as
'penis'

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember the free beer holder emails that would pop out your CD tray. Good times.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unnamed_image.jpg
SOMEONE'S SINGLE! HE DOES LIKE LONG WALKS IN THE IN THE SHADOWS AND THE SMELL OF DECAY. SADLY, HE HAS NO NUMBER TO NOTE OF BECAUSE HE HAS NO USE FOR A PHONE, BECUASE SUMMONING WORKS MUCH BETTER AND DOES NOT COME WITH AN ITEMISED BILL. REMEMBER TO TREAT HIM GOOD ON THE FIRST DATE!
I just found out that MZ regional price on Steam in my place is much cheaper than MV.
Our water started to work again, now i don't have to fill up our toilet with water again.
Finally able to return to work after months of lockdown. My poor feet are hurting :( I need to get used to working again haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddhaXD