Brigandine Armor...Plate or Mail?

Should Brigandines be classified as Plate or Mail armor?

• Total voters

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For those that don't know what a Brigandine is... Well, it's basically armor constructed from strips of sheet metal attached to a layer of fabric. Here's a YouTube video for more info:

My question is simple: Should a Brigandine be classified as Plate or Mail armor? Honestly, it falls in between the 2 but I'm not going to create another category for a single item.

StoopidNook

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Frostorm It reminds me of the European "jack of plate" which I guess is very similar to the brigandine. So, I would consider it as a plate.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's actually a step between mail and plate and thus a classification of its own. (Brigandine Armour also included something like scales instead of plates sewn to heavy fabric or leather). So scale mail in fact would be brigandine rather then mail funny enough xD

However if pressed i would classify it as light plate Armour.

EDIT : actually scrap that. After opening a book it is splint armor or splint mail xD

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Finnuval This is so interesting xD
Anything related to ancient/old weaponry usually is... And more often then not also very confusing xD

Especially with modern views on things and long lasting misconceptions etc it can be a minefield to seek whats what and Then there is the choice to go with truth ot accepted reality which is a beast on its own lol

StoopidNook

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Anything related to ancient/old weaponry usually is... And more often then not also very confusing xD

Especially with modern views on things and long lasting misconceptions etc it can be a minefield to seek whats what and Then there is the choice to go with truth ot accepted reality which is a beast on its own lol
@Finnuval lol yes, totally second this xD

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tend to think of brigandine as a high-tier "light" or "soft" armor, as opposed to the rigid breastplates of "heavy" or "hard" armor. There's good arguments for both but considering many brigandines were styled like doublets back when, I think closer to mail for my own use.

I also agree with Finnuval that it's basically splint armor, but historically accurate. :p

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
While LARPing it wasn't considerated otherwise than leather by the PTB. But I will go with Plate too as it is still that concealed but in a way that allows more movements -and maybe less rust as it is less exposed to the elements-. ^^

Modern equivalent is those cops bullet proof jackets where you can unvelcro from its pocket if one plate has been damaged by a bullet. ^^

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're interested in what other things have done, I know both D&D and Diablo have used brigandine armor, categorizing it with mail.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamikun95