Browser play renders wordwrap differently?

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried it (from another site though, as the html directly says it can't be loaded directly) and text seems to have a shorter boundary... although, so far it seems it's only for events that don't include images... and it's weird, as for some it seems there's just a blank space, whereas for others it goes a bit over.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RMMZ's core scripts do not apply word-wrap. Which plugins are you using?

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think none, but I have a line which I use to see where it would cut off... works for a normal playtest.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh you mean the line in the text box editor in the editor that shows where the text cuts off?

Yeah that line doesn't actually change to respect different UI sizes. Neither does the test window.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What would work in all instances then? Would <wordwrap> from that plugin?

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Last edited:

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It isn't clear exactly what you're saying, which means you're not going to get an answer no matter how many times you bump the thread.

To be clear, word wrap is when a sentence automatically goes to a new line when the length is bigger than the box that contains it, which RPG maker does not do by default

Are you saying that the dialogue box for a browser version of your game goes off screen?

Are you saying that your text boxes cut off because they're too long?

Are you saying the line in the editor that shows the size of the textbox isn't in the right place for your project like @Restart is asking?

It would also help if you take screenshots of the problem.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The first one, yes... this is what's confusing... when playtesting, or otherwise playing it as an exe locally, it's fine... but when it's through a browser (though not from a local file, since it keeps saying it can't play it, it's on indiexpo, but I'd assume it's the same whether local or not, as the browser seems to be the main difference between the exe, which is wordwrapped fine, and the browser play, which isn't).

Simple enough, no? Not sure what screenshots could add, words cutting off isn't hard to imagine... what baffles me is why browser/exe games are processed differently.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, to be clear, your problem is that the browser version (non-local browser version?) of your game has a different text length than the non-browser version? Dialogue box length is usually determined by resolution.

Anyway, there are too many potential unique factors for anyone to answer your question. It could be that a plug-in you're using is causing the problem, for example. No one is going to be able to answer your particular question here without more information, so I wouldn't expect an answer.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What plugins? It's incredible that anyone is able to make any games at all when half of the story is likely not to be shown... what would work in all instances then? Would <wordwrap>?

Why is this issue so difficult for game makers when notepads simply have a single option and it's done...

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The issue is that there's no screenshots in-game of what the issue is, so nobody can give the assistance you need. Let's try to be specific about your issue, being more specific will get you help.

Is it:

A ) The actual text box AND text is too long, and both are going off the screen?
If yes, there is a plugin affecting your text box size, and on a smaller resolution, this size is still kept so it's going off-screen. Find the culprit plugin and fix the size of the text box.

B ) Only the text box is too long and going offscreen.
If yes, this is an issue with the text box size and is affected by a plugin, so same solution as above. Find the plugin causing it and fix the text box.

C ) Only the text is cutting off, but the box's size fits the screen.
If yes, this is exactly how the engine works, and if you want to make sure this doesn't happen, you will need a plugin (like Message Core MZ) to enable wordwrap for you. <wordwrap> is what this plugin uses but there's possibly a parameter to always have it on automatically.

Or you could just use enter and manually format the text yourself.

Why is this issue so difficult for game makers when notepads simply have a single option and it's done...
Because RPGMaker is not a text editor program. It is a game program, and text works differently in a game. The game is drawing many letter graphics. This is why you can copy the text in Notepad onto a forum but not the in-game text graphics.

I do also want to ask- how imperative is it that your text doesn't work on the browser edition of your game? Are you releasing for BOTH standard and browser? Are you only releasing browser?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The way you're responding I'm still not sure exactly what your problem is. If you could post a screenshot (you can take a screen with windows key+shift+s and then just press ctrl v into a forum post) of it working in a normal playtest (not a preview) and it not working in the browser, maybe people could understand the problem.

That being said, yes, a visutella message core plugin wordwrap textcode would likely solve your problem.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, looks like the plugin makes the text relative to the screen it's for... but really, this should be the default, not some extra. I'm almost surprised 'player movement' or 'text box' aren't plugins...

@Escalus it was c (and manually is how this problem arose in the first place), and ideally for both, so no one is excluded...

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, looks like the plugin makes the text relative to the screen it's for... but really, this should be the default, not some extra. I'm almost surprised 'player movement' or 'text box' aren't plugins...

@Escalus it was c (and manually is how this problem arose in the first place), and ideally for both, so no one is excluded...
Well, at least you have your solution, haha.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Seyfert, I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible, and I promise you there is no malice in it: you have a way of sullenly complaining about mundane things which indicates a sense of entitlement you definitely haven't earned here yet.

Four different people gave their time to try helping you resolve this, and not only have you never addressed anyone's request for screenshots to help them help you, you haven't once thanked anyone for trying to help in the first place.

None of us are RPG Maker devs. We can't answer your questions about why things work the way they do, all we can do is tell you how to work within the constraints we all experience.

You'll make far more progress in your endeavours if you accept that the engine isn't always going to do everything you think it "should" and start treating the other members like people who are taking the time to help you, rather than your personal code squad.

I am glad you resolved this, though. I implore you to keep this in mind next time you need to post a support topic; providing requested information and focusing on the problem rather than how you think RM should cater to your desires will result in a smoother ride for everyone (and I'm basing this on several topics I've seen; I wouldn't have said anything to you if this weren't a pattern, and you might not think so right now but I'm trying to help you avoid souring your working relationships with others on the forums going forward)

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, I'm not blaming anyone here, but if any devs passing by see it... why not complain?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, I'm not blaming anyone here, but if any devs passing by see it... why not complain?
There's nothing wrong with offering constructive criticism, but the way you do it isn't likely to encourage anyone to make the changes you're asking for even if they're valid ones. :p

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, it's criticism borne out of frustration, and I can't hide that... wordwrap should be a basic functionality, surely...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I appreciate that it gets frustrating, and yeah, maybe it should. But for better or worse, it isn't, and taking your frustration out on the forums isn't going to make you feel better or get it any closer to being a standard feature. :)

Trust me, we're accustomed by now to relying on the community's plugin developers to fill in the gaps of functionality that should probably have been in the base engine. :p

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After so long, my random sprites set is complete! I wonder who could guess them all? :kaothx:
2COlHup.png

And yes, I'm doing more.
I'm thinking of devouring some tutorials for RPG Maker MV. Just all kinds: mapping, spriting, programming, ect. the whole works! :)

Maybe videos, my brother and I can sit down and watch them during one of our weekly business meetings.
Ami
trying to make a Dialogue Script in Indonesian,first. then translate into English.

this is the reason why i'm terrible at this section beside making the enemies :stare:
Made a Mapping Tutorial on Adding Lighting/Shadows using Tileset

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnGieA