Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an enemy skill where the enemy buffs the whole troop for DEF and MDF. This is done by applying state 95. It then attacks 2 random enemies for 130HP damage each. My formula is this:

Code:
$game_troop.members.each { |act| act.add_state(95) }; 130

My problem is that sometimes the buff is applied, and sometimes it's not, and I cannot see why that should be.

Here is a snip shot of the state in case there is something there.
1627744924616.png

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the first place would be to check state rate and state resistance.
remember that even a 100% state rate can fail if the luck difference is high enough

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Andar No troop member has any resistance or change in state rate for this one.
The enemy applying the buff has LUK of 45, the other 2 members of the troop have LUK 40, so that should not be a problem.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a particular circumstance under which it isn't applied, from an enemy status perspective? Like any situations it always applies/doesn't apply in?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Trihan Not that I've been able to notice. It's early in the battle, and is the enemy's first move. It attacks the two random enemies, so I know the skill is running, it's just the buff which doesn't always happen.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you show us a screenshot of the entire skill?
and one of the enemy?

when the state is not applied, is there any communality like never to certain troops etc?
do you have any scripts that might change the battle mechanics?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Andar Sorry for the delay in replying, but I had to be away from my computer for a few hours.

Here is a shot of the skill (I have renamed 'Special' skills as 'Physical' skills)
1627761074002.png

and now of the enemy
1627761210526.png

As for scripts changing battle mechanics, I am using (in order of dependence) Yanfly's Battle Engine, Yami's Battle Symphony, Yami's Predicted Charge Turns Battle [PCTB] scripts.
I have used this skill much earlier with a different enemy, the only difference being that in the earlier one it buffs EVA as well. That always seemed to work. That version, therefore, used a different state. The fixed damage is slightly less. Other than that, it is the same. For comparison purposes, here it is
1627761535072.png

The damage formula there is
Code:
$game_troop.members.each { |act| act.add_state(68) }; 100

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With that damage formula and that skill, the states are applied twice to each target.
so an enemy missing that state is extremely unlikely unless there is either a resistance or something changed the way states behave.

One possibility is that a script causes some states to toggle? have you tried to change the skill to a different number of enemies and what happens then?

and since it works with a different skill and state, please make the following test:
increase the maximum number of states in the game, copy the state to one of the new numbers and use that number in the skill, then test. If you do this there can't be any default resistances since the state did not exist before, so if that works it has to be something in the resistances and if it doesn't work with the new state is most likely something in the scripts.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
have you tried to change the skill to a different number of enemies and what happens then?
As far as my knowledge goes, I can apply the buff either to the user (a.add_state(95); etc)
or to the whole troop, as per my formula. I don't know of any way to add a state to just some of the troop. In case you meant have the enemy attack e.g. 3 allies instead of 2, I tried that and it made no difference.

I also tried putting the state into a newly created slot, as per your suggestion, and that also made no difference.

It does indeed look like it might be some weirdness in the scripts. I have patches galore to make the PCTB script work (it was full of bugs) and it could be almost anywhere. I think what I shall have to do is to ditch that skill and think of something else.

Thank you for your time and trouble in trying to help me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DadOfSpaceMonkey