♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
User: Ronove
Bug: Color changes VERY SLIGHTLY from the file to when the game plays.
How to Replicate the Bug:
  • Make a portrait picture or something.
  • Set it up in game and testplay.
  • Screenshot and compare to original. (What I did was place the portrait from the folder right on top of the screenshot and turned on and off the layer. Very slight, but it's there.)
Other:
So like, it's not a BIG issue and isn't gonna break anything, but I wanted to post it here in case no one's noticed and it's not something that's supposed to happen. I'll post a screenshot of the portrait in game and the portrait that's actually in the folder.

Colorchange.png
Very close, right? But, the hexes for the colors I've snagged are very slightly different (I've included the colors lined up near the center of the image).
Shaded Hair left: da9c6f, Shaded Hair right: df9e74
Undercut left: 511d2c, Undercut right: 541d2c
Skin left: fdf1c4, Skin right: fff1c6
Sweater left: aba582, Sweater right: aca584

Likely, no one is going to notice because they won't see the pictures outside the game (I only did because I was adjusting the portrait height with the window and noticed a slight change), but I noticed it and I figured it was worth reporting as a possible bug because it doesn't seem intended. The same very slight color change also applies to the tilesets.

EDIT: I'm also using MV1.6.1 if that makes a difference. In addition, it was not an issue in RMVXAce and does the same slight color change in a totally different project.

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
I was trying it on my side and used a portraits as well for testing, I can't seem to replicate it ...
I wonder if its specific colors

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the background. Perhaps there is just a very slight transparency in the image that when placed over the background, it picks up the background colors a little bit? Just a thought.

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There shouldn't be. The image is the 255 opacity. It also occurs with the tilesets and sprites. I'm not entirely sure what's going on on my end if you can't replicate it.

I've uploaded a comparison with a screenshot from the game and the original sprite/tilesets that still have the very slight color variation and I have also included a part of something from the default tileset and turned off all my plugins. The colors still change very slightly:
colorweirdness.png colorweirdness2.png
Granted, my sprites and tilesets takes from the same palette I made the portraits with, but the RTP still slightly changes so I'm not sure. Again, hard to see but the color codes are slightly different. I don't know what's up with my version of MV if you can't replicate it, but it's weird! If it's totally just something on my end, it's okay in the end. It's definitely not noticeable to be a super issue.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Maybe the images cannot be processed in-game by more than 256 colors?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
@Ronove I played with it a little bit and I can replicate it with your drawing for sure. It's veerrry subtle and it surprised me too. I'm honestly not sure why it's happening and it's gonna require some research. I have a feeling PIXI has something to do with it, maybe the filtering, etc.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It maybe something as old as a screen's capacity to render a limited amount of colors per elements composition in one scene. Like having yellow sand on a deep blue sea and azure sky loosing a wee bit of color in the advantage of the majority of present blue. It does that with scans, pictures and TV screens. Not even necessarily the graphic card or software's fault. I think all a screen can get as amount of color at once is somehow limited but you have an eagle eye; you'd be hired in my time at the Background department balancing crazy long pans starting with huge yellow sandy beach in one peg and ending with majority of azure sky and 15% color shifted green sands in the end peg!

But to all this is worth, it seemed well handed despite of the eye sore. :3 (I wish myself I had a better screen, I got an awful white balance in there and bad yellow degrades.)

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Is this maybe some color profile management thing? Does the image have a color profile embedded? Chromium/Pixi.js will probably not reproduce the exact same colors unless the screen has set a color profile as well as the image in such a way that this works out... (sorry if this is something obvious you already took into account)

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
@Ronove @orlando I found the fix and you're completely right! I slacked off on it until I can have the time to look into it but it's
Code:
"chromium-args" : "--force-color-profile=srgb",
So in package.json
Code:
{
    "name": "",
    "main": "index.html",
    "js-flags": "--expose-gc",
    "chromium-args" : "--force-color-profile=srgb",
    "window": {
        "title": "",
        "toolbar": false,
        "width": 816,
        "height": 624,
        "icon": "icon/icon.png"
    }
}

Blair Pendragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This was a huge nightmare for when i was working on my project for one of the rpg maker contests. caused me to redo art nearly 20-30 times, till i got the right colors i wanted in game.
(Dark muted colors become VERY colorful. Mostly noticeable in dark settings, where a grey becomes bright yellow or something.)
Its mostly changing the contrast by extreme amounts.

But I also noticed that when i switched TVs, this problem went away.
So i figured maybe TVs are fine, but monitors arent.
But my 2 friends PCs/monitors were fine.
I was then able to reproduce the effect by using an HDMI adapter, that i currently use for my monitor.

Essentially something about adapters effect this more drastically. (only in game)

how much will this effect anything else? will this effect what other people see on their screens?
EDIT: I looked through the RPGMaker files, and I cant find this, so now im thinking you're talking about another program all together.
EDIT#2 found this file in another project (dunno why its there) and after editing it, there was no difference. also undid it, just to make sure, and still no difference.
tried to copy and paste this into my main project, and no difference.

here is an example. (Dunno how to fix it, even with the above "proposed solution".)

EDIT#3: decided to look elsewhere, for things not related to RPGMaker MV, since I remember seeing a similar effect when i played a really low resolution game in the past, where the contrast drastically changed.
It seems that my GPU tries to take over during games, but doesnt take over my normal screen colors/brightnesses.
So the change in colors is because of Nvidia.

I set my desktop to use my Nvidia control panels colors/brightness.
Then saw my game appeared to be identical in colors now.
(if its different, its different by an extremely small difference)
EDIT#4 They colors were off, by a pixel difference on the color wheel. So there's still something in RPGMakers programming causing this, but this still helps to lower the effect a lot more.

Last edited:

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I’m very surprised if the developers of RPG Maker MV are ever bothered to release updates. It seems they went to another project - Pixel Game Maker MV.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m very surprised if the developers of RPG Maker MV are ever bothered to release updates. It seems they went to another project - Pixel Game Maker MV.
considering the fact that MV is already at version 1.6.2 it is very easy to prove that there already have been a dozen updates, so your comment is obviously completely wrong.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
considering the fact that MV is already at version 1.6.2 it is very easy to prove that there already have been a dozen updates, so your comment is obviously completely wrong.
I would like to say that you are right... but it is true that the latest updated was released on Juny 2018 (version 1.6.1). There was an update for Steam users a few months after, just to match with the same version as the Japanese users, version 1.6.2.

We didn't have more updates for RPG Maker MV since a year, and there are still some bugs and improvements that need to be fixed.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
If you're still having problems, can you follow this guide and make sure your monitor is set correct like this:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/how-to-assign-an-srgb-icc-profile-to-your-monitor-windows.14070/

1) Windows 7/Vista:
To assign an sRGB ICC Profile to your monitor in Windows7/Vista, follow these steps:

Open Color Management by clicking the Start button, typing color management in the search box, and choose Color Management:

A window like the following will come up:

In the upcoming Associate Color Profile dialog box, click sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in the list, and then click OK. If you see more than one sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in the list as in the screen shot above, chose the sRGB Color Space Profile.icm profile.

Back in the Color Management dialog, click the newly added sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile and click Set as Default Profile:

The sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile will now be used as the default profile for your monitor:

Click Close

and the Monitor Setting:

Blair Pendragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
While useful, these "solutions" are on your end, and not the players end.
If you rolled out a game as is, everyone else who hasnt done these fixes, will see the colors incorrectly as well.

Would be nice if the program worked more akin to other programs, and didnt require such a fix.

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're still having problems, can you follow this guide and make sure your monitor is set correct like this:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/how-to-assign-an-srgb-icc-profile-to-your-monitor-windows.14070/
Totally late to seeing this, but hey, that worked to equalize the colors on my end. Even with the caveat you can't guarantee that all of your players will do the same to their monitors, it's still good enough for me, but it's probably helpful that any color shift on my end has been very subtle.
Most people won't even notice, and even still, they won't be seeing the graphics outside the game (or think to compare them) so it's not like they have the original colors to compare it to.

It's still odd that it happened at all and have to do the solution, but hey, I'm happy so thank you for finding it, Archeia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HimitsuYuki