[BUG] Event's "Approach" autonomous movement acting crazy

gman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I've recently made an event that's suppose to approach the player. I wanted to solve this by using the autonomous movement "Approach". This does not work as intended as the event sometimes walks STRAIGHT AWAY from the player for a moment before continuing to approach again. There are no obstacles in the way and the Event Page is empty. In fact: when switching method to a custom made Move Route set to "Move Towards Player" in the Event Page, it works flawlessly. Wtf?

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is intentional in all versions of RPG Maker. It is because these preset routes do not use pathfinding: they just try to move directly towards (or away from) the player. By moving in a random direction occasionally, the event is less likely to get stuck.

Like you say, you can simply make your own custom move route if you want more control over things.

gman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
This is intentional in all versions of RPG Maker. It is because these preset routes do not use pathfinding: they just try to move directly towards (or away from) the player. By moving in a random direction occasionally, the event is less likely to get stuck.

Like you say, you can simply make your own custom move route if you want more control over things.
Wow ok thx.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.
finally got footage of my main character running around the main hub world. I've fixed a few things tho even since this video unsurprisingly lol.
 …I think I might need to switch from standard ATK/DEF up/down buffs to parameter altering states. I just had an actor whose usual attack against an enemy does ~25 do a buffed attack against a debuffed enemy for ~600…
just saw that titan quest is free on steam until the 23rd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddkovi