[BUG] Event's "Approach" autonomous movement acting crazy

gman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I've recently made an event that's suppose to approach the player. I wanted to solve this by using the autonomous movement "Approach". This does not work as intended as the event sometimes walks STRAIGHT AWAY from the player for a moment before continuing to approach again. There are no obstacles in the way and the Event Page is empty. In fact: when switching method to a custom made Move Route set to "Move Towards Player" in the Event Page, it works flawlessly. Wtf?

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is intentional in all versions of RPG Maker. It is because these preset routes do not use pathfinding: they just try to move directly towards (or away from) the player. By moving in a random direction occasionally, the event is less likely to get stuck.

Like you say, you can simply make your own custom move route if you want more control over things.

gman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
This is intentional in all versions of RPG Maker. It is because these preset routes do not use pathfinding: they just try to move directly towards (or away from) the player. By moving in a random direction occasionally, the event is less likely to get stuck.

Like you say, you can simply make your own custom move route if you want more control over things.
Wow ok thx.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kamikayson