[Bug] Frame drop when changing scenes (1.5.0/1.5.1)

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
User: Oscar92player
Maker Version: RPG Maker MV 1.5.0/1.5.1 (Steam Version)
Bug: When you open a menu, change the map, or showing a Picture with fade options, the frames will drop from 60FPS to 15-10, resulting in screen tearing and lag.
How to Replicate the Bug:
  • Unrar the project.
  • Make a test in game, and then push the F2 Key to see the actual FPS.
  • Start a new game and talk to the characters. The first one, starting from the left, will show you the FPS drop when opening a Message Box; the second character in the middle, will give you the advice of opening the different menus (main menu, items, options, save, status...), and see what happens to the FPS too; finally the third character will show you the FPS drop that happens when you show a picture with a fade effect (after this, you'll need to reset the game, because the picture will not disappear).
  • Sometimes you will note that FPS drops at the start of the Title screen too.
Sample project link: Tiny MV Project (v1.5.0) Frame drop
Other:
  • The pictures used in this sample will not fit the screen (that's because they were made for a resolution of 1104x624, and not for 816x624, the default resolution).
  • The project weight cannot be more compressed than 6.70Mb, exceeding the maximun of 5Mb requisite.
  • Thanks to SRDude for the tiny MV project.
Computer details:
Processor:
  • AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
  • 2.1 GHz
  • 4 cores
Video Card:
  • AMD Radeon HD 8670M
  • 1.0 GB of Dedicated Memory
  • 1024 MB of Total Memory
  • Pixel Shader Version 5.0
  • Vertex Shader Version 5.0
Video Card #2:
  • AMD Radeon HD 8610G + HD 8670M Dual Graphics
  • 3.0 GB of Dedicated Memory
  • 4.0 GB of Total Memory
  • Pixel Shader Version 5.0
  • Vertex Shader Version 5.0
RAM:
  • 8.0 GB
  • Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Build 1703 (a.k.a. Creators Update)

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This video by Yanfly might explain all of the problems you are running into with 1.5.0. Try their solution and see if it helps.

Video Link:

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This video by Yanfly might explain all of the problems you are running into with 1.5.0. Try their solution and see if it helps.

Video Link:
I tried using the update on a normal project, without plugins or other changes than YEP 1.5.0 Update, but the frame drops continues. I've uploaded a sample project, and a video as well so you can see that the frame drops happens almost with every thing you do related with menus or pictures.
  • NOTE 1: This video is recorded from a game using YEP 1.5.0 Update; I've recorded another video from a normal sample project using 1.5.0 official update.
  • NOTE 2: In the video you see that the title screen shows 1.4.1, but the project is updated to 1.5.0.

You can see that opening menus causes a considerable frame drop. And not only that: starting a new game, close the main menu window... even things that are not showed in this video, like changing maps, showing pictures, enter a battle, loading a plugin command, or open other kind of scenes made by plugins makes the FPS to drop. Things that are supposed to be simple.

Here's another video showing what happens when you enter a battle, or escape from it:

You see that is frame dropping here too, when entering a battle or escaping from it. And it's more pronounced when you use the Side View Battle System, because the game needs to load the Side View Battlers too.

And another video showing the frame drop when changing from one map to another (this is from my own project, that it's updated to the latest version too):

And I don't think this is a problem from my computer with a quad-core 2.1GHz (2.9GHz in turbo mode), with a 8Gb RAM and two integrated GPUs. This is more of a MV problem, and it's frustrating that no one has solved this since the release.

I can give you all my PC specs if that help you to solve this problem too, or try to give you all the data you need to emulate this problem in your test machines. I do not know how many posts I will need to open to report these problems, but this needs a solution.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, Yanfly's script is a start. Beyond that, all you can do is wait. But keep in mind that usually systems are designed to work for mobile OR desktops, due to the huge differences in specs and OS's used. Though out of curiosity, do you use Windows 10 regular version? If so I have a theory as to the cause of lag issues.

For now, I'd suggest keeping an eye on Yanfly's scripts, as odds are high there will be updates to this one throughout the next few weeks which may fix some more of the issues.

PS: Please remember I'm not a dev. I have no say in the making of RPGMaker. All I can do is tell you the facts, as I know them.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Yanfly's script is a start. Beyond that, all you can do is wait. But keep in mind that usually systems are designed to work for mobile OR desktops, due to the huge differences in specs and OS's used. Though out of curiosity, do you use Windows 10 regular version? If so I have a theory as to the cause of lag issues.

For now, I'd suggest keeping an eye on Yanfly's scripts, as odds are high there will be updates to this one throughout the next few weeks which may fix some more of the issues.

PS: Please remember I'm not a dev. I have no say in the making of RPGMaker. All I can do is tell you the facts, as I know them.
This laptop uses Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703, compilation 15063.540). The original SO was Windows 8, updated later to 8.1, and the Windows 10 with all the updates that were coming later.

And now that you mention it (and knowing this makers are in legacy mode), 2003, VX, and VX Ace had problems with lag in Windows 8 and 8.1 when using games in fullscreen mode (but not in windowed mode, and that's the main reason many users used the Fullscreen++ script developed by @Zeus81 for VX and VX Ace), but Windows 7 and 10 had no problems with that issue (I think it was related to Aero, because Windows 8 didn't use it, but Windows 7 and 10 did).

I don't think those problems are related, but the developers maybe need to test if Windows 10 affects the performance in games developed with MV or something. But as I said, I don't think so, because MV was developed near the release of Windows 10.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmm...I don't know what creator's update means, but if you have the version of Windows 10 that forces Auto updates on you, that might be the issue. My school had an issue this year with all of the forced auto updates slowing down the CPU to the point that it was unusable (and you could see this via a CTRL+ALT+DELETE, one of the windows processes would take up a HUGE chunk of the memory and be at 90 - 95% CPU use). But, if you killed the process doing it, then the computer was usable.

I just say this as RPGMAker uses the CPU too, so if an update was being forced on you AND you run RPGMaker...well, it would not run well. Though that would be true with anything that uses the CPU (though programs that use the GPU would run just fine still).

Anyways, just a theory based on what happened at my school this year. Probably not the real issue based on the other info you provided, as I doubt you could run ANYTHING at all if this was the issue (plus we joke that our school computers have so little memory and so bad a CPU they can't even run Pong). But, a way to test is when you boot up the computer, see how long it takes before you can open anything. If it is taking a few minutes, then yes, you probably got an update that is taking over the CPU.

PS: Mv being released near the release of Windows 10 would mean it was not coded for Windows 10. This is always the case with programs released near an OS release date (see what happened with the Windows 95 release back in 1995 for another example of this), as the info to code it for that OS is not available in time to make it work for sure. So they have to code what they know and hope for the best.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmmm...I don't know what creator's update means, but if you have the version of Windows 10 that forces Auto updates on you, that might be the issue. My school had an issue this year with all of the forced auto updates slowing down the CPU to the point that it was unusable (and you could see this via a CTRL+ALT+DELETE, one of the windows processes would take up a HUGE chunk of the memory and be at 90 - 95% CPU use). But, if you killed the process doing it, then the computer was usable.

I just say this as RPGMAker uses the CPU too, so if an update was being forced on you AND you run RPGMaker...well, it would not run well. Though that would be true with anything that uses the CPU (though programs that use the GPU would run just fine still).

Anyways, just a theory based on what happened at my school this year. Probably not the real issue based on the other info you provided, as I doubt you could run ANYTHING at all if this was the issue (plus we joke that our school computers have so little memory and so bad a CPU they can't even run Pong). But, a way to test is when you boot up the computer, see how long it takes before you can open anything. If it is taking a few minutes, then yes, you probably got an update that is taking over the CPU.
Creator's Update is like a Service Pack update, like in the old Windows, and it comes even with a Game Mode integrated that reduces CPU and RAM usage for the system, in order to play some games better than before. I think this is the 3rd major update since the release of Windows 10. In September or October they will release the Fall Creator's Update, the 4th major update that will erase Internet Explorer and Paint, and will improve the UI for certain programs.

The CPU usage for Windows 10 was very high for a few processes in the first version, and some people reported memory leaks in older computers. Since the Anniversary Update (that was released a year later), the CPU usage was normal for every thing.

By the way, this is my CPU usage (sorry, but is in Spanish due to my SO language):
Sin título.png

The usage is normal even when using Google Chrome, iTunes or other programs, such as games with high quality and maximun settings like Resident Evil 5, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Tales of Symphonia, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and Revolution, Sonic Lost World and Sonic Generations...

The only thing I've saw that uses most of the CPU, GPU and RAM is RPG Maker MV, and the CPU and RAM usage becomes more serious if you preload all the resources with plugins like those made by TDDP or SumRndmDde. When opening a normal project, without preloading plugins, the RAM usage is a 10-15% highter (from 22% aprox. without any programs opened, to 32-37% with a game developed by MV). But using a preload manager makes the RAM usage to be more pronounced, about 20-25% aprox. highter than normal, and that makes (without using other programs opened or other processes), that my computer will use about 42-47% of RAM, and in some cases when loading battles, opening menus, or change from one map to another, makes my computer to reach more than 50% of RAM usage.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Still, just keep in mind that the fact you can run those games means you have a good GPU. RPGMaker uses the CPU for many things, so it can run bad even on systems that run those high end games.

But the RAM info is helpful, maybe a dev can use it? As it is my suggestion is just keep checking the Yanfly Plug-in that just came out, as it should be updated every so often as more things are found. And keep in mind the dev team is very busy with other tasks that are deemed high priority, so until they are done with those, all that can be done is wait.

Krimer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ukrainian
Beside the FPS numbers, what the problem? I can't see any problems in these videos, except numbers. It's just my curiosity, because if turns off fps meter it's even can't be noticed, at least for me. It's even can be how engine works, something like stops for a moment update frames because loading scene(it's just a suggestion).

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beside the FPS numbers, what the problem? I can't see any problems in these videos, except numbers. It's just my curiosity, because if turns off fps meter it's even can't be noticed, at least for me. It's even can be how engine works, something like stops for a moment update frames because loading scene(it's just a suggestion).
The problem can't be appreciated very well on the videos, because of the quality, but the frame drops produces lag when loading pictures smoothly, loading a map can cause lag when your character moves. In the worst cases, it produces screen tearing because frame rate is not stable.

Also, the game it's supossed to run smoothly at 60FPS, and it doesn't. This causes a lot of lag in projects that uses a lot of pictures, or engines like this one. And trust me, a game with unstable FPS hurts the sight, and is unattractive. If you played a game developed for older RPG Makers, there is a lag issue caused by the use of lots of events on a map, and that is the reason you see people asking for anti-lag scripts for those engines, because it breaks the game experience.

Still, just keep in mind that the fact you can run those games means you have a good GPU. RPGMaker uses the CPU for many things, so it can run bad even on systems that run those high end games.
By the way, @bgillisp , maybe you need to see this post about the CPU and GPU usage by RPG Maker MV. It says that MV uses the GPU too.

Last edited:

Krimer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ukrainian
I asking because i can't see any problem in your videos and your demo. I run your demo and yes FPS meter says there is something when changing scenes, but its only numbers. I don't see anything noticeable even with heavy game(like PUBG) in background processes. My CPU is engineer sample with 2.2 Ghz with boosts to 2.6Ghz on one core and to 2.4Ghz for all cores(pretty similar to yours CPU in Ghz), for pure gaming power it's around i5 6400, windows 10 anniversary Update.
Your demo says there will be fps drop, but nope, not happening.
Noticeable lag is present only when pictures showing for the first time but it's known issue, for that preload plugins are exist.

I check your topic with tilesets and again no any noticeable lags or fps drops for me
Maybe your CPU is not that good as you think?

Well, if devs can do something with performance on old or budget PCs then it would be cool. But for sure, it's not a common problem for mid modern PCs.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You know, I actually wonder if the lag is in the message box text, as I downloaded another file of the OP's where there was lag on the music file, and they had a text box print a message then the music played, and I got a small lag too in my test (2.3 GhZ, I7 Core, but I also have a GPU that is dying so mine runs low end right now). However, when I just do a play music command by itself, I don't get lag.

I wonder if the culprit is the show text command? I may do an investigation of it, though I'm still on 1.3.1 of MV and will be until I finish my project that I'm doing on the side in MV, as I got everything working for it already (including plug-ins).

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I asking because i can't see any problem in your videos and your demo. I run your demo and yes FPS meter says there is something when changing scenes, but its only numbers. I don't see anything noticeable even with heavy game(like PUBG) in background processes. My CPU is engineer sample with 2.2 Ghz with boosts to 2.6Ghz on one core and to 2.4Ghz for all cores(pretty similar to yours CPU in Ghz), for pure gaming power it's around i5 6400, windows 10 anniversary Update.
Your demo says there will be fps drop, but nope, not happening.
Noticeable lag is present only when pictures showing for the first time but it's known issue, for that preload plugins are exist.

I check your topic with tilesets and again no any noticeable lags or fps drops for me
Maybe your CPU is not that good as you think?

Well, if devs can do something with performance on old or budget PCs then it would be cool. But for sure, it's not a common problem for mid modern PCs.
My CPU is a quad-core one, with 2.1GHz each core (2.9GHz in turbo mode): AMD A10-5745 APU Radeon HD Graphics with a GPU integrated.

I don't think is my PC's fault, and it is not old because it has only 5 years old. And as I said, I can run games smooth with maximun settings such as Resident Evil 5 (that has high quality textures, shadows, light effects, HDR and antialiasing). I can even run Final Fantasy Type-0 HD at minimun without many problems in most of the cases, and without loosing a lot of CPU or RAM power in the process.

Now tell me why MV has frame drops, even when showing a simple message box? Or is delaying the music in most of the cases when other makers can run the same sound file without problems? Or lagging menus and pictures when try to show them with a smooth transition, not only the first time, but every time you execute those commands?

As I said a lot of times: my CPU and my PC are not the problem, I meet the minimun and recomended requisites to run the engine and games made with it (as I can see in the Steam web page). Is poor optimization with the program what causes this strange frame drops, and even Archeia said that some users and testing machines cannot emulate those errors, so maybe for you the game just runs fine, but for others is a headache.

That is the reason I opened this thread and the others you see in this section of the forum. Because despite how well can you and others run this maker, for me and other users is not working well, and we have to find what is causing those problems to solve them. Is not only a question of "is your problem because I don't have any issues", the question is "there is a problem" and that's what matters.

P.S.: And RPG Maker MV not uses only the CPU. I read that it uses the GPU to draw bitmaps too, and things related to graphics.

P.S.2: By the way, even when using preload managers, the frame drops are still there. And this method consumes much more RAM depending on how many resources you have in a game, and can cause an overload of RAM that can lag or even crash your computer. Trust me when I say that even with some games I don't reach a 50% of RAM usage (I have 8.0Gb), and using a game made in MV with preload manager not only reaches the 50%, but it can reach about 60-70 in the worst cases.

@bgillisp The music delay happens for me even when not showing box messages. It happens when transporting my character from one map to another that plays a different sound file, at the beginning of the title screen, when making a cutscene with events... not only MV does it ramdonly, but it depends of the music file too as I can see. The delay can be more pronounced in some files when others not, and I still don't know the reason.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Like I said, just a theory. Though I can answer one of the questions you asked at the end.

Music files HAVE to be fully loaded before they can play. So the bigger the file, the longer the delay before it will play them. So if you see a lot of lag, you need to use smaller files. That's why the preload manager exists, to get around that.

Krimer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ukrainian
my CPU and my PC are not the problem
AMD A10-5745
But in your case it is a problem of your CPU, it's pretty bad processor, he's around Core2 Duo P8800(processor from 2008-2009, in power per core and its almost minimum for MV), better only because have some modern instructions which core 2 duo doesn't have and 2 additional cores.

For example processor that are close to mine

But these instructions doesn't much help in MV(core helps but not much, for most affect's to your multitasking), so your laptop is minimum in pure power for MV and meeting minimum requirements guaranteed you only game start but not a lag free gaming.
I can run games smooth with maximun settings such as Resident Evil 5
I mean yes you can, but its because RE 5 old game and has lower minimum requirements in CPU than MV(Pentium D vs core2 duo) and for most its your GPU who allows you to play it well.

GPU usage in MV is not that high as you think, in most cases it's only heat your GPU and that's all. I have done tests with my processor and really bad GPU(but with WebGL support). I barely can play first Mass Effect(2007) in minimum settings and 800x600 resolution with it(20-30 fps), however even with that i was able to play MV games with pretty similar performance to my current specs, yes there where some little fps drop in some places but not noticeable just a numbers.

Because despite how well can you and others run this maker, for me and other users is not working well, and we have to find what is causing those problems to solve them.
By the way, even when using preload managers, the frame drops are still there
You found the problem, it's your CPU.

So it's no wonder you had bad fps drops. And as i say it would be cool if devs do something with performance in that kind of processors, but i don't think it will happen any time soon, just because it will break almost every plugin and devs don't want this to happen.

preload manager not only reaches the 50%, but it can reach about 60-70 in the worst cases
It's a bad development of project, optimize your resources and it will not happen. And preload from SRD is pretty bad plugin, it has memory leaks and preload all resources in the begging with him is a really bad idea.
MV is based on web platform it has some advantages and disadvantages. Loading resources and minimum requirements is one of disadvantages for current moment at least.

Sorry for my bad English or if i looks like rude to you(i don't mean it, my English vocabulary don't allow me to say some things in other way), i just want to say that most of your problems come from your weak CPU and i don't think it will change in nearest future for that kind of processors, it's even could getting worse(i hope this does not happen).

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like I said, just a theory. Though I can answer one of the questions you asked at the end.

Music files HAVE to be fully loaded before they can play. So the bigger the file, the longer the delay before it will play them. So if you see a lot of lag, you need to use smaller files. That's why the preload manager exists, to get around that.
But that even with files that exceeds 2Mb or 3Mb of size, music delay is not supossed to happen. And if it's so, why the previous makers can play normally a music file that MV delays? It's something I don't understand, because I tried even in previous versions to have smaller sound files, for BGM, BGS, ME and SE, and the longest BGM's size is about 3-4Mb. VX can reproduce those sound files without problem, and VX Ace too, so why MV not?

If it depends of the file size, or maybe the bitrate, the only question I have is: why isn't that explained in the Contents menu? Or perhaps dev should say that we must edit the music files with some kind of program before we can use them in MV.

By the way, I used a lot Audacity to do music loops with the comments "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH", and even reducing quality in order to reduce the file size.

Anyway, we may discuss this in the correct thread.

But in your case it is a problem of your CPU, it's pretty bad processor, he's around Core2 Duo P8800(processor from 2008-2009, in power per core and its almost minimum for MV), better only because have some modern instructions which core 2 duo doesn't have and 2 additional cores.

For example processor that are close to mine

But these instructions doesn't much help in MV(core helps but not much, for most affect's to your multitasking), so your laptop is minimum in pure power for MV and meeting minimum requirements guaranteed you only game start but not a lag free gaming.

I mean yes you can, but its because RE 5 old game and has lower minimum requirements in CPU than MV(Pentium D vs core2 duo) and for most its your GPU who allows you to play it well.

GPU usage in MV is not that high as you think, in most cases it's only heat your GPU and that's all. I have done tests with my processor and really bad GPU(but with WebGL support). I barely can play first Mass Effect(2007) in minimum settings and 800x600 resolution with it(20-30 fps), however even with that i was able to play MV games with pretty similar performance to my current specs, yes there where some little fps drop in some places but not noticeable just a numbers.

You found the problem, it's your CPU.

So it's no wonder you had bad fps drops. And as i say it would be cool if devs do something with performance in that kind of processors, but i don't think it will happen any time soon, just because it will break almost every plugin and devs don't want this to happen.

It's a bad development of project, optimize your resources and it will not happen. And preload from SRD is pretty bad plugin, it has memory leaks and preload all resources in the begging with him is a really bad idea.
MV is based on web platform it has some advantages and disadvantages. Loading resources and minimum requirements is one of disadvantages for current moment at least.

Sorry for my bad English or if i looks like rude to you(i don't mean it, my English vocabulary don't allow me to say some things in other way), i just want to say that most of your problems come from your weak CPU and i don't think it will change in nearest future for that kind of processors, it's even could getting worse(i hope this does not happen).
If the problem comes with my CPU, we'll have to wait until a Dev can confirm this to us. Because I simply don't understand why they haven't specified those requisites (minimun and recommended) with more details in the Store and Steam page.

And with all those explanations, at this point you make me doubt if it's really a problem of my PC, or if MV consumes so much resources that a normal CPU can manage. I don't know. If I had known about all these problems MV has with performance and the CPU usage, I'd never purchase it in the first place.

Another question I have is, how I'm supossed to develop a game if the engine gives so much trouble when trying to report and fix all the performance issues? And even if a game is born from this engine, what requisites I'm supossed to specify? An i5, or i7 CPU and a GTX 1050 GPU so the users can avoid performance problems? And what about the users that plays a game? What I'm supossed to say to them? That performance issues are fault of a bad CPU, or the bad optimization of RPG Maker MV?

I would like to hear an opinion of a Dev. Because this needs some kind of explanation.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll post what I figure out when and if I get time on the other thread. But to answer why its now an issue is because (as far as I understand it) JavaScript requires the music file to be fully loaded. Ruby didn't, which is what ACE used.

Still, when I get a chance, I'll post further thoughts there. But understand my focus is right now on my game as it is due to the Beta Testers yesterday, so it may be a while. And again, since I'm not a dev, it will just be my opinion but maybe with two of us looking at it we'll get to a solution of some sorts.

I have no thoughts on the FPS issues though, except to say that many AAA games hide those behind loading screens and capping your game at the max you can run. Which might be why you can run those other games well, but not MV. And, honestly? Most AAA games I play have an FPS drop when I open the menu, and this is due to them having to freeze the scene (if opening the menu pauses the game), then load all the graphics. So is it really an issue? I don't see anyone complaining about it on games like say Mass Effect or XCom. So why single out MV?

Edit: I just went back and played Wing Commander 3, a game from 1994. It had FPS drops when it opened the options menu (and when it exited), and some noticeable lag changing scenes. And everyone let it go. So again, why is this an issue for MV to have it, and other AAA games get away with it, and have for over 20 years?

Last edited:

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no thoughts on the FPS issues though, except to say that many AAA games hide those behind loading screens and capping your game at the max you can run. Which might be why you can run those other games well, but not MV. And, honestly? Most AAA games I play have an FPS drop when I open the menu, and this is due to them having to freeze the scene (if opening the menu pauses the game), then load all the graphics. So is it really an issue? I don't see anyone complaining about it on games like say Mass Effect or XCom. So why single out MV?
Well, now that you mention the fact that some menus can cause a frame drop, you would like to see if this plugin works for you. The plugin makes the same fade effect VX and VX Ace made when you open or close the main menu. Why am I telling you this? Because this plugin does not work completely, because the frame drop breaks the fade effect when opening the menu (but strangely not when you close it, maybe because the frame drop is smaller). The only way, in theory, to fix that, is to make a fade effect highter than 20 frames, end even with that, you can note the screen tearing at the beginning of the fade effect.

And about menus in other games, you've given me an idea. I remember that Kingdom Hearts 2, when you open the main menu, takes one second since you push the START button, until the menu opens. All objects and maps are paused, and then the menu opens with a fade effect. Could it be possible to do the same in MV, so the projects can load the menus properly? Personally, I don't know if it's possible, but it can be a solution for that plugin made by Galv.

But back to the FPS problem, it's not only a problem when loading menus. I said it before, the problem happens when you change from one map to another, when (for example), you use a plugin to change the Window graphic, when using an animation, a sound effect...

The FPS drops on menus are a minor problem compared to other things that are more serious. For example, those frame drops related to the new PIXI version that comes with 1.5.0, and the Change Tileset issue that was solved with 1.3.3. If it was fixed in previous versions of PIXI and MV, I would like to hear from a dev why the problem comes again with a new version too.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right, that was what I was getting at, as I can't think of a game I've played in any recent time that didn't have a little FPS drop when opening the menu. I recently played Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, and the first time you loaded the map in that game it would hang up for 5 - 10 seconds! So it does seem to be a widespread issue with games these days. Maybe someone will come up with a better solution? Who knows.

But as to the rest, I think it is again because what they fixed in 1.5 broke something by accident and they had no way of knowing until it was released. Even testing won't find every bug. So maybe it's in the works for 1.6?

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Right, that was what I was getting at, as I can't think of a game I've played in any recent time that didn't have a little FPS drop when opening the menu. I recently played Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, and the first time you loaded the map in that game it would hang up for 5 - 10 seconds! So it does seem to be a widespread issue with games these days. Maybe someone will come up with a better solution? Who knows.

But as to the rest, I think it is again because what they fixed in 1.5 broke something by accident and they had no way of knowing until it was released. Even testing won't find every bug. So maybe it's in the works for 1.6?
Let's hope the devs are aware of the problems I reported, and see if they can give us an answer or a solution in future updates. Personally, I hope they can fix them, because I'm tired of issues like this one, the music delay or the Change Tileset option. I like RPG Maker too much, but things like this breaks all the experience when making a game, and I've though more than once about leaving the projects I have with MV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I don't like hard boiled eggs...
it's weird to eat something that crunchy outside soft inside. And after chewing it for a while it started to spill red sauces that taste like iron.
Latest member to OcRam -plugin suite: OcRam_Layers! Optimized parallax layers (for parallax mapping?) + dynamic layers which can be used in title-, battle and map scenes!
People convinced me to use my old graphics for this new project, i guess i can't run away from blender just yet. https://gyazo.com/2a105847c042bb78c6d4919ec1308660
10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GameVenture