[Bug] Game Freeze on Scene_Item

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by andai, Sep 23, 2017.

1. andai

andai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    User: anDai
    Bug: The game freezes when player enter Scene_Item, and quickly spam Z and X (Confirm and Cancel) to exit the scene and go back in.
    How to Replicate the Bug:
    • Go into Scene_Item
    • Spam Z and X (Confirm and Cancel)
    • After awhile, the game will crash.
    • This bug can be replicated on any project that utilizes the default Scene_Item, including a fresh project.
    • If a project is required, then this Tiny MV Project made by SumRndmDde will work. Link to Project.
    Other: Here is a video of the bug in action.

Thank you.

Archeia likes this.
  2. Oscar92player

Oscar92player Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tried your sample project with your instructions to replicate the issue, but I cannot make the Scene_Item freezes, but having some lag in the process.

I noticed that there are horrible frame drops too, when opening and closing the menu spamming the Z and X keys, and maybe that is the cause that the project freezes in your computer. This process also increases the RAM consumption by the game, so maybe it's related too.

In this other thread I've reported those frame drops when changing scenes to the devs, and if for some reason they are the main cause of your problem, then we have another reason to get rid of that bug, and we must report it as many times as necessary until the devs fix it.

3. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can replicate this issue in a fresh project (tested in both MV 1.5.0 and 1.5.1).
    I use Windows 10, Geforce 1080, 32GB ram running from an SSD.

It seems that it doesn't technically 'crash' the program, but the item scene's _categoryWindow and _itemWindow both become not active and the scene does not go back to the menu. This should not be possible as then the user can not do anything if this happens.

Using the console I could manually activate the _categoryWindow again and the scene proceeded as normal.

4. waynee95

waynee95 Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just tested this as well.
    When going really fast the frames droppped down to 9fps, when going normal they did drop down to 30fps at max.
    But it never freezed for me. I tested it on 1.5.1 and 1.5.0
    I use Win10, RX 470, 16GB ram, Samsung SS 960EVO.

EDIT: The ram usage did rise a bit but it dropped down after a few seconds, so it never built up.

5. Oscar92player

Oscar92player Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, both of you have a GeForce GPU (NVidia, I suppose), and you can replicate the bug...

... you have a RX (AMD), but suffers the frame drop without freezing the Item menu...

... and I have an AMD Radeon HD GPU, I can't replicate the bug, and I suffer the frame drops too.

Do you think it's related somehow to the GPU? We don't have so many clues about it, but seeing your comments and your computer specs, the significant difference between all of us are the GPU we have in our computers.

6. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi,

I don't know what would drive someone to want to do this as it took me 10mins of rapidly pressing X+Z to make this bug occur. However, I'll try to fix it none the less.

Side note: I don't look forward to testing fixes for this, my hands hurt already :(.

- Liquidize

Shaz, Galv and Oscar92player like this.
  7. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can replicate it in a few seconds - seems like maybe it has to do somehow with pressing cancel as soon as it is possible once the scene is started, but not sure

8. andai

andai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hm, yes I can also replicate within 30 seconds usually, but I am more than glad to help test any fixes if you'd like!

9. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello again,

This has been fixed (pending QA) for 1.6.0. The scene will now check if any of its subwindows are active, and if not then activate the category window as it should.

Side note: Ended up just making a macro to do it and test with :p.

Thanks,
    - Liquidize

Galv and waynee95 like this.
  10. andai

andai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks a bunch! You da best! :D