[Bug] [INCORRECT/not a bug/can be closed] Active time battle actually waits/freezes with item and skill selection

Do you think the ATB should by default continue even with Item or Skill selection window open?

• Yes, that seems like the most consistent / I find it ok to change it with plugins if I don't like it

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, I like that the item/skill windows still freeze the battle and it should stay the default

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I think it really doesn't matter either way

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpg_el

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For the most part, MZ's active time battle continues no matter what the user does, including when the enemy selection prompt is opened. This is also what I expected from the "Time Progress (active)" variant which appears to intend to not leave open any pause to keep things exciting.

However, I noticed the active battle does freeze when either the skill selection window, or the item selection window are open - but only if no skill/item has been selected yet which would cause the enemy selection to be overlayed on top, which makes things continue again.

This can be exploited by players once they realize, giving them infinite waiting time again. This seems like a bug, or at best weirdly inconsistent to me. I get that the description texts might take a bit to read, but it also kind of sabotages the whole idea of putting the player under pressure. After chat discussions, I realize now it's not about cutting down on any thinking time for pressure, but rather making it feel more dynamic while leaving item/skill choice still usable with larger lists, and therefore intentional.

Last edited:

rpg_el

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It was pointed out to me that this is likely intentional, and here is the code that deals with it:

JavaScript:
Scene_Battle.prototype.isTimeActive = function() {
    if (BattleManager.isActiveTpb()) {
        return !this._skillWindow.active && !this._itemWindow.active;
    } else {
        return !this.isAnyInputWindowActive();
    }
};
So this can be closed since it's likely not a bug as I thought. However, I do find it quite unfortunate that the enemy target window (Window_BattleEnemy) isn't somehow "floaty" in that case to indicate that it's meant to be non-blocking while the chunky/screen-wide item/skill select aren't - that would both give a way better UI hint on what blocks, and keep the status faces visible during enemy select which right now they are not. But that seems more like an unfortunate UI layout issue rather than a bug, so this thread can be closed in any case.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@rpg_el If you want your thread closed just Report your opening post and ask for it to be closed. Mods might not see a post or a change in title, but they will see a Report.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Idk where this post would go, so how do you change the font of the choice selection window? I have a different font for the game so it looks a little odd could someone tell me where this would go on the forum?
RPG Maker MZ demo -project with some new features:
I don't really have a use for this guy, I just wanted to build a plague doctor.

Join us for a session of the new update starting at 3PM EST! There will be a Steam code giveaway! Click here!
Aerosys wrote on ASUG0's profile.
I'm glad you like my Avatar!

I made it with VX Ace like 7 years ago :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshmellowfellow