[Bug] Map Scroll Type causes fixed Parallax Background to Move

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by CriticalGames, Mar 21, 2017.

1. CriticalGames

CriticalGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I posted about this issue in the RPG Maker MV section in April last year, and then on the old RPG Maker MV Improvement board back in June...just before that section got taken down. As it still hasn't been fixed, I wanted to bring it up again here. For a detailed run down of my experiments in trying to get this to work, you can check out my original topic here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ype-causes-parallax-background-to-move.60949/

After all this time, I've been left to conclude that it is definitely a bug.

User: CriticalGames

Bug: If you are using a fixed Parallax Background (one with an exclamation mark in front of it's filename, so that it doesn't scroll with the map), and you then set the Scroll Type on the Map Properties page to Loop Both, the Parallax will start moving around as if there was no exclamation mark in front of its filename. So the Scroll Type setting makes a Fixed Parallax background scroll, overriding the exclamation mark setting.

How to Replicate the Bug:
    • Create a Map (it helps to draw a few ground tiles to give you a reference point for whether the background is moving or not).
    • Right click on the Map name in the bottom left corner of the screen and select 'Edit'. This brings up the Map Properties window.
    • Under Scroll Type, select 'Loop Both'.
    • Under Parallax Background, you'll find 'Image:'. Set the image to a parallax background with an exclamation mark in front of the filename. For example, '!Water 1.png'. This makes the parallax background fixed in place.
    • Load the map and start walking around. You'll see that the Parallax begins scrolling with the player as you walk around.
    • Go back to the Map Properties window and turn 'Scroll Type' to 'No Loop'.
    • If you test the map again, you will see that now the Parallax background remains fixed in place.

Other: The reason I discovered this bug is because I'm trying to set up water on my World Map. Because the auto-tile system in RPG Maker MV is so limited, I had to find a way around this for my water animation. To do so, I used a Fixed Parallax background (meaning that it doesn't scroll with the map).

Being a World Map, I also need the edges of the map to loop (like the player is circling a real globe), so that the player doesn't run up against the edge of the screen. To achieve this, I used the Scroll Type map setting and set it to Loop Both. This does work very well - the map loops correctly when I cross over the edge of the screen. However, as explained above, this setting also makes my Parallax background start scrolling with the player's movement - which naturally doesn't look right at all.

So this is a very serious bug for my project.

Thank you for reading!

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Please give us an example project :)

3. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't checked the poroject (can't download it at the moment), but one question comes to mind: are you sure that the parallax and the map have the same size? Because that sounds to me as if the size of the looping is wrong...

5. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Hi Andar! You actually wrote the exact same thing in my topic last year haha. I've tested it with both a parallax background which is exactly the same size as the map, and parallax backgrounds that are not - it's the same result either way, sadly.

6. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Well, I noticed that the topic was moved to a slightly different spot on the forum, but there's still no response. I don't mean to be impatient, but my topics last year never got an answer either, so I want to make sure that this one gets properly addressed. Did the example project help explain the issue @Archeia? Is there anything else I can provide which would help?

7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Hi there, yes I have submitted it to backlog and we're looking into it. Unfortunately, things like this goes through a lot of processes to get fixed. So please just keep your project in dropbox so the respective programmer can access it once they're ready :)

8. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Hi Archeia,

That's fantastic to hear - thank you very much! I'll be sure to keep the link active. It should be fine, but if it stops working for any reason, please just let me know =) Thanks again!

9. csevans84

csevans84 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Try reinstalling I am using the "!" and it's not going wrong for me

10. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the response. Just to confirm - so you're using a Parallax Background with the "!" in front of it, on a map which has its Scroll Type set to Loop Both? If it's that simple, it'd be nice =)

11. csevans84

First Language:
    english
    no type set to anything just the "!" makes it work for me

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You misunderstood the problem - without loop of course it works that way, but the OP needs it to work when the map itself is set to scroll type looping.

And it appears that the second you set the map itself to looping, the parallax movement which should be disabled by the ! is enabled again.

13. csevans84

First Language:
    english
    What version of the maker are you running?

14. CriticalGames

First Language:
    English
    Ah, sorry - as Andar said, I don't think you quite understood the problem. Thanks anyway, though =)

Oh, and I'm running the latest version (1.5.0).