[Bug] Message Window Preview Not Updating?

Marrend

Bludgeon of Inspiration
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm on Day 2 of the MZ Trial, version 1.0.1. First thing I do is make a map that's basically a dinky little island called "Alpha Island" to test and debug stuff. Make a simple-stupid Show Message of "Yo!". I use the preview. I didn't think something like that would cause a text cut-off, but, still, I wanted to see what the window and font would look like. Go off to do other things, then change the message to something else... only for the preview to still say "Yo"?

This was more than a little confusing, but, I went ahead and made a more serious attempt at gammak with MZ. Fast forward to today. I've run across this problem a non-zero number times, and took a screenshot of the latest instance of this phenomenon here. It was suggested to me that I update to version 1.0.2. That apparently didn't help. Is anybody else getting this, or am I just horribly unlucky?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Regarding the first screenshot, you're supposed to make sure your text fits in the window. Like this:
1600794136141.png
You need to make sure the text doesn't run past the first vertical line.

Not sure why preview isn't working in the second screenshot though.

Marrend

Bludgeon of Inspiration
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The vertical line is a pretty good indicator of where a line should stop, I'll grant that. There's sometimes a bit of text cut-off, depending on the exact text I'm trying to display.

For what it's worth, I've been getting by with using the event preview that can be accessed via the right-click context menu in the event-editor, itself. It's a little slower than the regular text preview, but, it's been more consistent so far.

rpg_el

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Did you try opening the broken preview and then just waiting for a bit? Like a literal minute or two? From my experience I suspect there is some issue where it takes a while to load properly, which is very annoying. And maybe there is some relation here to what you're seeing. (Or not, but might be worth trying!)

Marrend

Bludgeon of Inspiration
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just wish I understood how the heck I keep triggering this, because I'm not sure if I'm noticing any constancy. Like, the text preview I just did was, pretty sure, my first one in that particular session of MZ. The preview window came up blank. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that it's showing blank because I moved to a different map? Sorry, this whole thing is just... baffling to me.

So, yes, letting the preview it sit for 2 minutes (maybe a touch longer?) didn't seen to do anything. However, at that point, it would be faster to use Conrtol-R, or use the the context menu, to do a short test-play!

*Edit: To be fair, I'm glad the test play feature exists in the event editor. I would probably be a lot more frustrated if the only way I would know for sure if the line breaks where they should was to test-play it in a "live" situation. Or, I guess I put the messages on Alpha Island?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Where do i have to play Heisei Pistol Show the same creator that made Re: Kinder Parun
I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatisGachi