Danitinkis

Deadly and sexy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I let my friend play my game's demo and crashed while trying to entering a village. Here is the log:
IMG_20211020_000755.jpg

I don't have the F8 one bc she was playing a deployed version.

Also, this bug does not occur normally. After the crash, she loaded the game and entered the village without any complications.

Any ideas?

PS: Idk if this is the right place to post the thread, sorry in advance

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Failing to allocate a buffer sounds like an out of RAM problem. Does your friend's computers meet the specs for MV? Do you use a lot of or large parallax maps?

Has she experienced any problems playing other games or doing other things? There's always the possibility of a physical problem when you're looking at RAM.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) what failed is basically a memory allocation - either because there was not enough RAM left or because a calculation at what RAM to allocate failed.
The first case has nothing to do with your game other than the computer in question is too old or too low-spec to run the game in a stable form. Only in the second case you would have to find a bug in your project.

2) can you give a screenshot of your projects plugin manager with all your plugins and their order?
there is a small chance that it is caused by incompatible or wrongly ordered plugins.

Danitinkis

Deadly and sexy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Failing to allocate a buffer sounds like an out of RAM problem. Does your friend's computers meet the specs for MV? Do you use a lot of or large parallax maps?

Has she experienced any problems playing other games or doing other things? There's always the possibility of a physical problem when you're looking at RAM.
Her computer can even run GTAV, so RAM it's not the problem. I normally don't use parallax so that's not the issue neither

1) what failed is basically a memory allocation - either because there was not enough RAM left or because a calculation at what RAM to allocate failed.
The first case has nothing to do with your game other than the computer in question is too old or too low-spec to run the game in a stable form. Only in the second case you would have to find a bug in your project.

2) can you give a screenshot of your projects plugin manager with all your plugins and their order?
there is a small chance that it is caused by incompatible or wrongly ordered plugins.
Like I said to @ATT_Turan , RAM is not the problem. Here are all my plugins:
1635144330995.png1635144377936.png1635144420410.png1635144534482.png1635144568667.png

Some plugins aren't on the deployed version (idk which but for example YEP_EventSpriteOffset is recently added to my project)

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Given the error is a failure to allocate memory, I would also guess it's related to RAM: insufficient RAM is being made available to the application. It's possible there is a security restriction (OS or third-party) or hardware fault somewhere, but I think it's more likely to be some other cause. :kaoswt:

RMMV's executable is 32-bit, so if your game happens to require more than 2~3 GB RAM, that might be causing the problem? (Especially since you'd need a lot of stuff to fill a modern system's RAM + page file.)

Check background app RAM usage (e.g. Task Manager). Also check RAM use every now and then when you are playing, and suggest to your friend that they do so too.

Also, note that it's trivial to write code to fill RAM with pointless data. This can happen accidentally, too, as in a memory leak. If one or more of your plugins has a memory leak, or is just badly-written or not being used correctly, your game could easily "need" more RAM than a big, polished game like GTA.

I'm not familiar enough with the plugins you're using to say for sure,
but you might want to check how you're using SRD_PreloaderCore.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, I overlooked that one in my first check but I have to agree with @caethyril
The problem is most likely the preloader plugin, the one that makes your statement
so RAM it's not the problem.
into absolute nonsense.

In case you didnt know:
The primary function of any preloader is to create memory leaks, and that means no one has ever enough RAM whenever a preloader is involved, especially if the developer doesn't know what he/she does with the preloader.

In the regular case, a browser loads files as late as possible, and after that the garbage collector is supposed to remove the file from memory after it is no longer used (that means not accessed for a given amount of time). This has the advantage of keeping RAM as clear as possible, but with the disadvantage of loading delays when a file is needed.

A preloader is used to tell the engine ahead of time "you will need this file later, start loading it so it is available without loading time later - and keep it in memory until it has finished using/until I tell you it is no longer needed"
That costs more RAM than any regular case, especially if the files are loaded too earlier and block their RAM for a time - and especially if the preloader tells the garbage collector to never remove the file.

That is a memory leak by design, and unless the developer knows exactly when to load a file and when to release it AND TELLS the preloader to do so, any unscroupolous use of a preloader will use up any and all RAM any computer has.

So - did you plan the file usage ahead and programmed the engine with the preloader when to remove the files you preloaded?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Her computer can even run GTAV, so RAM it's not the problem.
Yeah, that doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. There are many ways that RAM interacts with specific applications. The fact that you can run a given program isn't relevant.
And when you're talking about the possibility of a physical error, it would only trigger when a program tried to use that specific byte, perhaps, on the chip, which would mean errors wouldn't happen for all programs or always in the same way. (I'm not saying that's what this is, as I think that would make the system crash rather than pop an error, but it's the fact that memory issues can be difficult to reproduce and diagnose)

As several people have said, RAM is the problem, in some way.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember when people had the ability to have meaningful conversations on platforms like twitter or facebook? Good times... Nowadays is absolute crap.
All aboard the Advent calendar train, riding Avery's coattails as an excuse to make more sprites. ;)
Advent2021-01.gif

Get 'em in my thread in General Resources.
I had a dream where it was Friday, and what happened in the dream was irrelevant, because I woke up and it's not Friday, so I'm sad.
edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pazzow