(Bugs and rants) Just wanted to voice some dissatisfaction =(

Imperial_Steele

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I dove into using the MV trial a couple months ago... and it was semi-enjoyable. Enough so that, when I saw MZ, the latest version, on sale on Steam a week or so ago, I was like "Okay, cool, I'll buy it, cuz, why not?" (yeah, all the RPGMakers were on sale, but mweh)

Boy, I wish I'd've bought MV.

The first thing I noticed was the new tilesets. Well, okay, I guess you gotta go out with the old and in with the new to justify an $80 price tag, but holy cow, GREEN and YELLOW rooftops? EW. My disappointment doubled when I realized that these weren't just added... they REPLACED all the older, better-looking sprites! And I use better-looking loosely because I'm not a fan of the artstyle(s) on display in general, but that's not super important, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the program. If this is supposed to supersede the older version, why don't you have the older version's assets included?

It gets worse. While y'all added Goblins as a default monster (yay!), you got rid of orcs, bats and slimes? And replaced the later two with... crows and mushroom things you're calling gnomes? The hilarious part there is that the tutorial STILL CALLS THEM BATS AND SLIMES!

And oh yeah, some of the tutorials are borked. If you ever accidentally hit enter when editing a field, it skips several steps, starts pointing at the wrong things, and won't respond and I have to start over. Kind of a pain in the butt. It was also kinda... choppy and laggy in general. Dunno what's up with that.

It's just been a bunch of these little annoyances which have been piling up, so, I guess I just needed to vent. And, you know, it's not all bad, and I'd be willing to overlook these minor annoyances (except for the lime green rooftops... Seriously, whoever made that decision needs their eyes and/or head examined), except I can't because whether I'm editing a map or testing out battles, the program keeps blue-screening my PC.

So, that's a thing. =(

On the plus side, I found an old MV project and was able to rename and import all the assets, and that seems to be working out pretty well. Still, shouldn't have had to do that. But seriously, anyone know what's going on with the bluescreens? I can run the latest AAA games on this thing with barely a sweat, but a 2-d editor brings it to its knees? o_O

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since there are many users who aren't seeing blue screen crashes with RPG Maker MZ, and you don't currently seem to have any leads on what might be causing it...

I've moved this thread to MZ Support. Thank you.

Maybe other users will have some ideas about how to figure out more precisely what's happening and/or how to fix it. :kaohi:

You could check the Windows Event Viewer (found under Administrative Tools) to see if you can find further technical info on what caused the blue screen. That kind of error is typically related to a low-level fault, e.g. maybe you have an overzealous anti-malware service that has (incorrectly) guessed MZ is malware.

Since this is an editor issue, you could also consider contacting support as detailed here:

Like you mentioned, I see a couple of small typos towards the end of tutorial 12, when describing how to create a new troop. I also see the tutorial message boxes moving at ~2 fps...I'm not sure why, but it's certainly not due to insufficient system resources.

Also:
On the plus side, I found an old MV project and was able to rename and import all the assets, and that seems to be working out pretty well.
If you don't own RPG Maker MV then you don't have permission to use the resources that ship with that application. Ripping resources is not supported on these forums, as per rule 2.3:

Imperial_Steele

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the reply! I'll check the event viewer next time I get a crash. I can't say for certain it's MZ doing it, but it just happened to be what I was using.

One thing I didn't mention was that the steam overlay ("Press Shift tab to bring up Steam") likes to appear EVERYWHERE, even on tiny sub-windows (Event viewer, text preview, tutorial boxes, the works!)! That's more of a Steam issue though, I'm looking into how to make it less intrusive.

And as for the file importing: Oh. I'll make sure I purchase MV then, as well.

Again, thanks for the help and clarifications!

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Note that you can disable the Steam overlay on a per-app basis, e.g.
  • Steam Library -> RPG Maker -> (right-click) -> Properties -> General -> Enable the Overlay
You're welcome, hopefully you find a solution!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Wheel of Attacks.png

MORE GAMBLING THEMED ATTACKS!

I AM UNABLE TO STOP!
Is it ok to repost stuff that i've posted to threads in the status feed?
If so, here's art of Shiloh, the main protagonist of the game i'm making:20220807_181702.jpg
They are meant to be ambiguous in gender, like Frisk from Undertale or Gogo from FFVI. I haven't decided what their age will be yet. Any ideas?
Please comment what you think about the art and design!
ScreenShot_8_10_2022_7_15_21.png
Looks like Mike's got a new party member in Robbi...

Calf survival story with a happy ending.
well here's that concept art!
WIN_20220812_16_53_56_Pro (2).jpg
Whaddya think? Name suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eljugador1342