Bugs that randomly happen and can't be fixed

Discussion in 'RPG Maker XP' started by Abashi76, Mar 30, 2019.

?

What is the random bug?

This poll will close on Nov 30, 2019 at 3:10 AM.
  1. ....

100.0%
  2. It's you computer, that is supposed to work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. RPG Maker can only have one event autorun per map

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's a bug in the program, not your computer.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Abashi76

Abashi76 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I was trying to make an animation show on the map, which I have done many times before. This time, the battle animation won't appear on the map after my NPC walks to another spot on the map. This I have done two times before. I have tried everything, even switching to "parallel process" from "autorun" though I always use "autorun" for battle animations shown on map unless I want a ST ANIMATION. The only difference is I have a second event going off first, but that should not matter anyways. Knowing that, I tried switching back to the first event and that did not work. I even tried to transfer into a new map so the second event will show the animation, but that did not work either. And this time, I did not have any common events triggered by mistake. It's a random bug, how do I remove random bugs (my compatibility settings are already correct, for Windows 7)?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First, NO bugs are random. Computers do exactly as you tell them to no exceptions. So the error is in the set up somewhere.

Now you say you got a first event going off. Why do you even have two events? Why not use a master event which controls the flow? That way you can control exactly what happens when. See, events run in order AND in event ID order, so if you have say two autoruns set at the same time, only the lowest ID will run.

Henryetha and DerVVulfman like this.
  3. Teabone

Teabone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    As bgillisp mentioned its best to optimize your events and scripts into a controlled place. Having a bunch of different events that all do global actions (and are not interactive on the map by the player) don't really need to be separated into different map events.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I suggest you follow the link to the tutorial "bughunting" in my signature. That was written for Ace, not XP and so some details are different, but a lot of it is background info that will help you find the cause of your error.

5. Abashi76

Abashi76 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    No, all events i'm complaining about are all in different maps. The specific problem is after I have a npc walk up to another npc, no battle animation shows up and I did that part correctly.

I think I tried changing which event is "autorun" during the map to be like my others, but it still didn't work so I switched it back. That shouldn't be a limitation anyway.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If it is not showing up then you didn't do it correctly, sorry. Computers are NOT random. You'll need to post a picture of the event that is giving an issue for starters.

Also I would never switch events at random to autorun. Autorun means Always runs, and the engine will run only one autorun at a time. So if you have two autoruns set to go, then you have no control over which one takes effect. You'll need to set up your events properly so as to resolve that.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you had done everything correctly, then the animation would have shown up - so the fact that it didn't is proof that you made a mistake somewhere. Because as said above (and in my tutorial about bughunting that I referred you to) computers are NOT random. There isn't a singe random effect in any computer, even the so-called "random functions" are never random - they just use a mathematical formula that no human brain has any chance of following but put the same computer to it with the same "seed" for the random function and the results will be identical.

However, there are several non-obvious mistakes that can cause timing errors, and timing errors always seem to be random for a human player (which is why I took some time to explain them in the bughunting tutorial). But to find those errors we have to see what you have done in screenshots - there is simply too much data needed to point you into the correct direction of where you made a mistake if we don't see what you've done in your events.