Blackxwolf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do you want a fancy windowskin for your game, but you don't have the time or talent to make one? Here's the solution for you! To use the Build-A-Windowskin all you need is:

- A program that can open .psd files, such as Photoshop, GIMP (freeware), or Paint.NET
- The ability to click on stuff

How does it work? I've categorized the different parts that make up a windowskin like this:
MKDHlmT.png

Each part is grouped in a folder and color-coded in the PSD, with different layers for each part. By hiding or unhiding a part, you can build a windowskin. You're free to edit the parts, for example to change the hue (color) and the opacity. I would advise you to either set a background layer with a color, or change the background color of your canvas so you can see the low opacity parts more clearly. Be sure to remove the background layer you've created before saving your work, though! Once you've put together the windowskin you'd like, you can save it as a .png and put it in your game's folder.

Example. Here are two windowskins I've put together in like 2 minutes with build-a-windowskin:
DNbmQZs.png

Please note you can't save and use these directly. If you like these, you can remake them in the psd.

Part count. As of now there are over 49 million different windowskins you could create:
Backgrounds: 7
Back Patterns: 51
Frames: 40
Choice Highlights: 14
Arrows: 13
Talking Animation: 19
If you're an artist and have some parts you'd like to add, feel free to message me. I'll include them in the file and make sure they are properly attributed to you. Please let me know what your terms of use are.

Terms. As of now, I've used 3 sources: the RTP, Pixabay (mostly for frames), and my own creations. Pixabay is a site that offers images that are royalty free, and can be used for both commercial and non-commercial use, requiring no attribution. If you'd like to read the full license, it's available on their site. Windowskins you make with this are to be used in RPG Maker MV only. Giving credit to me and/or Pixabay is optional. In short, windowskins you create with this can be used for both commercial and non-commercial games, and credit is liked, but not required.

Download. You may dowload the psd here (mediafire): LINK. The file is under 2 MB.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FYI this is a great idea! I'm a little Extra and not planning to use the presets you've defined, but this is a great way to get a quick feel for how the windowskin file actually works...

VitaliaDi

Jedi Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What an awesome idea, thank you for sharing! This makes updating the windowskin so much faster and simpler. I'll be sure to credit you :)

RivalRamen_Games

Dimensional Drifter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
:MV1: Wow! This is really great!! Helps me understand how the assets work now! Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NODIE_2389948289021842323