Built-In Dungeon Generator Sourcecode?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by V_Aero, May 23, 2019.

1. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey all,

I'm just curious, has somebody the Sourcecode or implementation of the RMMV dungeon generator? Doesn't matter in which programming language as I doubt it is implemented in JS anyway. Well, if not then I will look for something else.

regards
    Aero

2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Probably illegal to have it since it's part of the software and we don't have access to it. Any attempts to reverse engineer the software to get the source code would definitely be illegal. Unless they release the software's source code, which would probably never happen.

3. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh okay, I didn't know that

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The code of the engine is open, but not the code of the editor - which is why there are no ways to change the editor itself.

That said, there are several scripts for Ace and I think one plugin for MV that attempt to give dungeon randomisation to the engine itself to use in the game. You should search for them as there you can see code that does the same.

Just remember: true randomness never works with map creation, because if it is truly random which tile lands where you would get a tree growning in the middle of the ocean or a polar iglu surviving on an active volcano and so on.

5. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry, but that's not how most random map generators work. They usually let you set up anywhere from 1-3 floor tiles to select from (at different rates) & then you can set walls & ceiling tiles & then set from 1-3 obstacles to randomly scatter here & there. In all the random map generators I've messed with between Ace & MV, never have I heard of one that just randomly grabs tiles from just anywhere without restrictions.

Also: Iglu? Igloo?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know that - but that is what I wanted to point out: no random map generator ever works with true randomness. They can't, because true randomness would result in my examples.
    And that is what makes them difficult to program - exactly the fact that they aren't random but need to appear as what the player assumes is randomness. And that is even more complex if you want to allow more than just one form of wall and one form of ground.

7. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, we all know how random map generation works. This is why I collect various algorithms to generate nice-looking maps, and the one from the RMMV is not that bad actually.

8. Animebryan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, the default generator is pretty bad and by bad I mean predictable. A 100 x 100 map set to 'Rooms' with no Margins will always produce 5-7 rooms with a single linear path starting from one room & running through each one til the last. The algorithm isn't complex enough to give a better, less predictable map setup.

caethyril and V_Aero like this.
  9. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah the algorithm isn't that good in MV. If you're looking to create a random dungeon generator inside the engine (so you dungeons can be random each time you enter them), I would suggest looking else where. Perhaps someone already create one of those?

10. Animebryan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No one's made a fully functional one yet. Sanshiro made one but it had flaws that required you to rely on autotiles or else random other tiles not called for would show up. DreamX made an add-on to fix it up a bit but eventually stopped working on it & said he was just gonna make his own, which never happened (I heard from Yanfly that he 'retired' due to 'user abuse').

There's also one by Biterkid (Lantiz), but he's no longer supporting his either. Everyone who has tried has quit before finishing a perfected version.

11. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well here's your answer, OP:
    1. You can can try on one of the plugins mentioned above,
    2. Or if that doesn't work you can commission someone,
    3. Or if you know how to code, code it yourself.

12. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yup, I tried some plugins out, it's sad that they all are not supported anymore. I will now do some research about map generation algorithms and code myself.

13. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, last time I checked my plugins worked :D

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/procedural-maps-generator.83242/

SirCumferance and V_Aero like this.