Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm building a dialogue based game. All battle mechanics have been replaced with different phrases and words that the enemies react to based on attack type and such, but I would really love to change the battle look to use busts instead of sprites.

I'd like to have the party layered over each other, basically displaying the front of their face one in front of the other, and when you're choosing an attack for a certain party member, their face comes forward and changes to a grin or alternate face of my choosing. The enemy(ies) would also have to be busts on the other side so it appears to be more of a rhetoric squabble verses a battle of swords and such. I dont' want a front facing combat that makes it first person, I want the profiles of the players and enemies on each side so they can "Have a conversation" (Battle). Similar to the promotional material of Captain America: Civil War.

Does anyone know of a plugin or plugin combo that would allow me to replace sprites with the busts of the characters for combat? I feel my game hinges it's unique style of combat on this and maybe I'm just missing something simple.

Attachments

• civilwar_1.jpg
    civilwar_1.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 5

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[move]Plugin Requests[/move]
It was a generalized question on if there is a method/plugin/possibility to perform this function. I do not know where to post it since I have never actually in my life posted on a forum before lol Sorry if I did something incorrectly.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Plugin Releases (where you had posted before) is for sharing a plugin you had made, not for asking questions. If you're not sure where to post, I'd suggest reading the Rules of the section you're in to see if your post would fit there. :)

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
LOL wtf I thought I was on the general page. My work's Web Proxy displays this site's pages weird so I guess I was in the wrong section entirely. So sorry!

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Finnuval I'll gladly be eaten alive by them once or twice if it means I can get some help in figuring this out. lol! I pretty much have every mod/plugin/guide I need for this project and this is kinda the last wall I'm up against X_X

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've read what you wanted, and I kept coming up with the same answer, event based conflict. With what you want to do, you could totally remove the battle system itself. Just set up a few common events to give different music scores and background pictures. Then, show your busts, and have each dialogue option result in damage for the 'enemy' or damage to the player. A side benefit of this is you would reduce the size of your game.

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've read what you wanted, and I kept coming up with the same answer, event based conflict. With what you want to do, you could totally remove the battle system itself. Just set up a few common events to give different music scores and background pictures. Then, show your busts, and have each dialogue option result in damage for the 'enemy' or damage to the player. A side benefit of this is you would reduce the size of your game.
I've thought about this deeply before posting because I wanted to find a way to avoid that. Since I have things like Quills, inkwells, classes like Rhetorician, Poet, Author, and we balanced out which literature based concept is weak to which. So I still wanted people to have the choice of building their literature class.

If I don't get any hits or ideas on how to make the bust battle system work, I'll def be considering doing event based combat and ignoring the concept of battle altogether. It'll just mean re-working our entire process of and a bit of the story/concepts. Since battles unlock who you can add to your party and allow party building based on your favorite characters like Octopath.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, as far as I can remember, you can use Yanfly's Action Sequence plugin to launch Common Events inside of a battle. I'm not sure how much this would affect the flow of battle - but you can certainly use those to show images, play sounds, and, most importantly, run dialogue. You can then tie those common events to skills, like, for instance "Verbal Rebuttal."

Below is a video showing this concept in action, minus the dialogue:

Ghost, meet the fireball! Anyway, as you can see this is a bust sliding in and the fireball itself is an image that was animated using the rotation and the move picture events.

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, this would be a decent fallback if I can't do it the way I'd like to do it. I didn't know that Yanfly's action sequence added the bust use which is kind nice. I'm still gonna hold off until I know for sure we can't do the bust option the way I want to.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've not tried it, but I would think from a common event you could call Galv's Busts plugin. (I'm not sure about Irina's, but I'm willing to bet a doughnut that it would work too.) This would give you the control over the bust images to move them in front, dim them, change expressions. The common event itself could also do your dialogue choices and deliver damage. Anyway, that's the best answers I could come up with :)

Well, I hope I've helped at least some :)

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've not tried it, but I would think from a common event you could call Galv's Busts plugin. (I'm not sure about Irina's, but I'm willing to bet a doughnut that it would work too.) This would give you the control over the bust images to move them in front, dim them, change expressions. The common event itself could also do your dialogue choices and deliver damage. Anyway, that's the best answers I could come up with :) Well, I hope I've helped at least some :)

You've definitely given me a direction to go if-in I'm unable to find the exact method I wanted! So you were very helpful, thank you :)

Cherbie517

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For anyone interested, I've created a video of what I'm looking to do. I've even posted in the request section to see if someone can make this plugin for me:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Last monday Hawkzombie played ATV.

Here are the videos:

Yes, I'm alive. No the semester didn't kill me. Though there are days I feel like I am dead.
In the review stages for Pixacrea to be put up on Steam :) Coming Soon page... hopefully coming soon ;)
since all my maps are hand drawn... I admit, I super envy those who can make the tileset's work. I'm garbage at mapping, but slightly less bad at just drawing my own areas. plus it's easier to draw my own sprites than edit others to look like my characters.
Guys, I made a trailer! And, I also launched the Steam page! If you would like to support the game, please Wishlist it :ahappy: ->

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jadened