Busts on Opposite Sides?

noctilucan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone! It's my first time posting here so let me know if I've done anything wrong (・∀・;)

So, I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the positioning of character busts. (The busts would be dynamic and not just the face would change, of course :9 I know that tends to annoy people.) For my game, I was thinking of a slightly different format, but I'd like people's opinions first.

What if the protagonist's bust was on the left side facing right like this...

(from Galv's Message Script)

And every other character who would talk would be on the right side facing left like this?

(from Misao by Sen)

The busts wouldn't show when the other person is talking, so it wouldn't be like this.

(from Fantasy Pack example)

The busts would only show up one at a time, and would switch as each new person talked, as usual. The difference would be that the protagonist's bust is on the left, while everyone else is on the right.

The only reason I'm really thinking about this is because one of my main characters has his right eye covered, so it'd cover up most of his face on the right (*´-`*) So he'd look a bit weird if he was on the left side.

Does that make sense? Is that style appealing to you all, or should I do it a different way, for example like the third picture? Please give me your opinions ヽ(;・∀・)ノ

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Personally I am not picky

What I do is have the bust on top of the word bubble with their name card their  below is fine too both look good.

Left or right or both doesnt matter to me it all looks good, but.... doing two busts is a pain and takes up space so you will have to work with that

Actually if there isnt enough room to fit a 1 bust I alternate them to the left side for just that scene so you can see characters moving and stuff

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Stylistically I think it's a nice idea.

Personally though I would not have both on screen at the same time. I'd rather just have whoever is talking on screen, and then have it switch when the dialog changes...

noctilucan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
doing two busts is a pain and takes up space so you will have to work with that
You know, I somehow didn't think about how it would take up so much room. I'll have to play around with how it looks in action and see how I like it, maybe post some examples when I get it going.

Personally though I would not have both on screen at the same time. I'd rather just have whoever is talking on screen, and then have it switch when the dialog changes...
I wasn't going to have them both on at the same time, they'd switch when the dialogue came up. It's just that the protag's would be on the left and everyone else would be on the right ^-^ 

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's name in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr