Button Press during Message Box? [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by McTricky, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello all!

I'm trying to do something similar to the Phoenix Wright games where the player is able to press a button during someone's line of dialogue and press them for more information (or in RPG Maker's case, activate a different event).

I kind of have the logistics of how to do it event-wise, however the main roadblock I have is that whenever there is an active message/dialogue/text box on screen, you literally cannot do anything until it's gone.

I want to be able to activate another event (via a conditional branched button press that's parallel processed) during a message box. Any ideas on how I could go about doing this?

So I had additionally put this out on Twitter as well, and I managed to get a solution from Rachael on Twitter!

Using a parallel processed event was just one way I had thought of attempting what I did, but Rachael's code snippet re-defines what happens when you press a text-advance key (by default it's B or C, or the Menu/Confirm buttons). Now, you can turn on a switch that will define the next set of text-boxes to be able to interrupted by the player, until the switch is turned off. In the code, it will check if the switch is ON and then if the player interruption (defined by pressing the L button) has happened. If all this is TRUE then it will turn on another switch which can be called through a conditional branch, and from there you can event whatever it is you wanted the interruption to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 2:38 AM
  2. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    anything related to messages is handled by the message window, updated by the engine.
    you won't be able to have an event interrupt that unless you make the interruption at window level, or run the message at event level.

despite the events being labelled "parallel", nothing is "parallel", everything is "sequential", only *executed considerably faster so that the waiting time between processing tasks tends to 0*
    updating the message window is it's own process, separate from updating the map and the game itself.

3. Blue001

Blue001 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    EDIT

OH sorry, you are on ACE.. nvm
    I had provided an MV solution. XD

This attempt by Galv lends me to believe it may be difficult to do.

4. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I had additionally put this out on Twitter as well, and I managed to get a solution from Rachael on Twitter!

Using a parallel processed event was just one way I had thought of attempting what I did, but Rachael's code snippet re-defines what happens when you press a text-advance key (by default it's B or C, or the Menu/Confirm buttons). Now, you can turn on a switch that will define the next set of text-boxes to be able to interrupted by the player, until the switch is turned off. In the code, it will check if the switch is ON and then if the player interruption (defined by pressing the L button) has happened. If all this is TRUE then it will turn on another switch which can be called through a conditional branch, and from there you can event whatever it is you wanted the interruption to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.