Buy on Steam RPG MV or MZ

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. My RPG Maker MZ trail has expired. So I went on steam to buy it. But when I see a price I thought its actually a serious decision.

Now I have some experiance with MV so I guess it's not point to consider any other versions. So I can limit my choice between MV and MZ. Now I read some reviews. Overall conclusion is:
"if you have a lot of experiance with MV and mods then just stay MV"
"If you are not veteran of MV you should/could go on MZ"

One more downside I think is that most of tutorials which i belive i will be using all the time are based on MV. They should be valid for MZ but it might be a bit confusing.

Thats one thing

Second questions I have is about Steam itself. I'm playing MMO on steam, and I play like whole day. I mean like all day online. Problem is steam disallow me to turn any other game/software in same time on same account. Now Question. If I buy download and install on steam. Can I turn offline mode and use RPG Maker? Or it needs online connection with each start up. If so That would be annoying a lot and I would need to buy for other account. But then again It would be annoying because I would need relog accounts to turn game on and then software and if I get DC then again -_-. You know

Kartoff

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think an advantage MV has over MZ is the number of plugins MV already has, including Yanfly's plugins (though MZ plugins e.g., VisuStella have been ramping up in production as well, I heard). I haven't really made the switch to MZ, so I can't provide any more input than that.

As for running two programs on Steam at the same time, I can run RPG Maker MV and multiplayer CIV 6 (both on Steam) at the same time perfectly fine. I'm not sure how that would translate to an MMO (maybe depends on the MMO, I would be more afraid of the lag spikes. Though MV doesn't seem to affect my ping when I play games like Overwatch with MV open).

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Plugins for MV also work for MZ I'm right?

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Sapphire Sodium
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some might. But most will not work because MZ's core scripts are written differently from MV.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would go with MZ, but if you want MV, then I think it's better to wait for a sale. MV goes down in price drastically during those times on Steam.

Also, while some MV Plugins work on MZ, you are much better off assuming that they don't. Anything with Plugin Commands from MV is most likely incompatible with MZ.

On the other hand, a lot of the MV script calls seem to be the same in MZ.

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea I think. Its better MV because of more Plugins and more tutorial. Better to wait for MZ get more support. MZ seems to have just few life improval features. But nothing big really.

I might add I'm working on story game using Parallax Mapping. With very little RPG element. So mostly Parallax and Events. That's all I need. Don't need big maps and there is little combat if I even could call that a combat.

rooge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Second questions I have is about Steam itself. I'm playing MMO on steam, and I play like whole day. I mean like all day online. Problem is steam disallow me to turn any other game/software in same time on same account. Now Question. If I buy download and install on steam. Can I turn offline mode and use RPG Maker? Or it needs online connection with each start up. If so That would be annoying a lot and I would need to buy for other account. But then again It would be annoying because I would need relog accounts to turn game on and then software and if I get DC then again -_-. You know
It should not be a problem. You can also use MZ independently of Steam. Only during installation do not use the creation of a desktop shortcut directly from Steam, but do it yourself directly from the MZ folder. Then run MZ and Steam doesn't even report that the program is running. I tried it at the same time with Resident Evil.

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you think of those Add on packs etc for steam bundle?

rooge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you think of those Add on packs etc for steam bundle?
If you decide for MV, then the offer is diverse enough that you will have something to choose from. I think here on the forum you would always find some useful information about individual DLCs.

Now I don't remember if there is any DLCs budle for MV at all in the RPG Maker store. As for the Steam store, there are some bundles. They are mostly thematic - Fantasy, Asian, Medieval, etc... They are always offered with a discount usually up to 20%.

Example: RPG MAKER MV - Modern & SF DLC BUNDLE

You can also buy items from the bundle individually if you do not have enough money for everything at once. The price of the bundle is always reduced by the purchased items and the discount is still valid and Steam encourages you and shows you how many items you are missing and how much you will still save.

But most DLC are not offered in the bundle. However, they are time to time at a discount on Steam. Then it is not a problem to get sometimes the whole bundle or DLCs even 70% or more cheaper.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does Degica offer discount or sale often? I'm holding off until Black Friday to get MZ, but not sure if it will be on sale elsewhere besides Steam, and for how much.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Does Degica offer discount or sale often? I'm holding off until Black Friday to get MZ, but not sure if it will be on sale elsewhere besides Steam, and for how much.
i think last year mv discounted at christmas... so maybe this christmas MZ might also discounted too...
the time range also fits... 3 months is enough for the Degica to consider some 'marketing' after the release hype finished. hope this help.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think giving it away with the purchase of MZ during pre-order counts as the most recent sale.

rooge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with Sharm, it is still a new product. If the MZ will be at a discount, then the discount will probably not be too big, as some expect.

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i plan to just buy MZ,not use it until i got the New Machine.

about the connection,i think you can use it in offline. you have start Steam Client first then turn it offline.

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok so I did some research. I found that plugins i need are already made for MZ. So I bought MZ. Then I made a new project in MZ and copies all files from MZ and.... all plugins I used on MV works at MZ o_O. They are all appear in Plugin manager and they are ON. I did play my game and I check all I done and its seems to work 100%. Mabye I will run at the problem somewhere at some point. But for know It seems to work. So I guess it was a good choice to go MZ.

For now I use 1.1.4 OrangeOverlay MV version If i run at the problem I will consider to buy RPGMakerMZ Plugin It looks very good but as i said for now i use free OrangeOverlay

rooge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
about the connection,i think you can use it in offline. you have start Steam Client first then turn it offline.
I also use the Steam version and I don't have to turn on Steam at all if I want to use MZ. I will use the MZ shortcut on the desktop or run the MZ directly from the project folder. Steam does not start at all. This is a change from the MV. Even if you run MZ on steam, there is no longer a Steam overlay.

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea regarding steam. I can turn MZ and game in same time. I had issue I couldnt turn both games in same times two different games completly. Dunno why but it works for MZ so im happy and wont bother dig into details why

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. My RPG Maker MZ trail has expired. So I went on steam to buy it. But when I see a price I thought its actually a serious decision.

Now I have some experiance with MV so I guess it's not point to consider any other versions. So I can limit my choice between MV and MZ. Now I read some reviews. Overall conclusion is:
"if you have a lot of experiance with MV and mods then just stay MV"
"If you are not veteran of MV you should/could go on MZ"

One more downside I think is that most of tutorials which i belive i will be using all the time are based on MV. They should be valid for MZ but it might be a bit confusing.

Thats one thing

So, If I were you, I would buy the MV version, because there a lot more of material to work with and you have an experience with it. It's good to test other game engines too or updated version, but see in the RPG Maker that you are buying if there is the aspects you are looking too: I saw some people using older version than MV and they still do great games!

Unfortunaly, for the second question, I have no idea :/

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My experiance in MV is far from being conisder any expert. So I don't lose much I guess. Game Engine already suffice most of my needs. The only one Plugin I need for certain is Parallax Mapping which is already working for MZ. I have experiance of Drawing I like it and Im quite good at it. So I just make simple game with quite simple event. Then I finish/polish game with Mappiing

I think for people who have more experiance on MZ should stay on MZ. And also people who are not sure what game they want to do. Playing around with more plugins helps to find out what they want to make.

I know what i want and what i need and those needs are quite basic and they are already meet by plugins creators. I think the more odd fancy or not common use scripts/plugins you use you should stay on MV

TrueZardrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok I found it's quite not convenient use on steam. I log to a game on my laptop. So I can monitor game and do work on PC. But this terminate MZ and I lost all progress. So yea I will just use a shortcut to program instead using steam to avoid termination. Because any login to other PC and my MZ get shutdown right away without saving

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Officially not a mod anymore. Thanks for the many years!
Thinking if i should post on the classifieds section...
Made another plugin showcase video! :kaojoy:
(Plugins and details inside the description of the YouTube video.) :LZScheeze:
Ami
Castle is my Biggest Fear :kaodes:. I just Managed make Part by Part (like the Entrance only),not the Entire Castle like in the RM Sample...
This video really speaks to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnriX