Buying a game you don't like on purpose

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Windows i7, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anyone else ever do it? If I know a game is something I won't really like but has a ton of modding potential, I sometimes still buy it anyways for the sake of modding it into something I do like (i.e. with Bethesda games).

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've bought games that are not my type of game if there is something the game implements that I want to see in action, or if I want to see what they do with an unusual story idea. Though I usually get the game 2 - 3 years after release at like 90% off original price at that point. Occasionally I still have fun with them, though most times I just breeze through on the easiest difficulty to see how they execute things and move on, as it does indeed end up not being my type of game.

3. readydotexe

readydotexe Low class wizard Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sometimes I do it just for the sake of having a little variety, for example I don't personally like the FPS genre, but Bioshock has manage to have a special place in my heart.

4. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Buying a game you don't like on purpose.
    That sounds like stupidity XD.

barnzie8 and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  5. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did this with mass effect Andromeda, knew I'd hate it from everything I'd heard about it (and the fact I hated da:I)

I told myself on release I'd never buy it, two months later it's in GameStop for 15 bucks (which is just another red flag) and I'm like "but the trilogy was awesome, surely Eaware learned their lesson when they destroyed dragon age, right?" No, no they didn't and I knew that, but I gave them money anyway, if not as much as they'd have wanted.

@Gallia yes it is, but whatever gave you the impression that humans were smart?

6. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's not necessarily stupid; there are valid reasons. I'm doing a Let's Play series of the Sonic games, and I know some of my friends are looking forward to watching, so I bought both episodes of Sonic 4 so I could include it. Watching an LP of a bad game can be very entertaining :)

Rehjul likes this.
  7. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I did bought Devil Daggers knowing perfectly that wasn't my type of game and I would never get far on it... :kaoswt: but it looks so cool that I wanted to support the dev. Any player that can play for more than 5 minutes straight have my most utmost respect. :kaohi:

8. Gallia

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just saying that buying a game you don't like is not smart, except you don't regret the purchase, otherwise its a waste of time (you hate the game) and a waste of money (i can't say where or how someone should spend their money.)

9. Gallia

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have fun with Sonic Genesis for GBA, Sonic 06 , Sonic Boom and Sonic Riders Kinect.... all considered bad sonic games.

1 Valid reason to buy bad games is you are a fan, i mean if you a hardcore Sonic fan i can understand you're getting the bad ones too.

I imagine the worst someone can do is getting Ride of Hell Retribution or other near-unplayable games, as i mentioned in above, it will be a waste of your time OR a waste of money

The best option is to torrent the games, give it a spin, if you get sick of it then uninstall... no harm XD

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

@Gallia You appear to be encouraging piracy, contrary to #2 of our Forum Rules which you can read here. Be aware that repetition of this will lead to a ban.

11. Requiem

Requiem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    steam sales

12. SpunkyWunky

SpunkyWunky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've bought a game that I wouldn't be good enough to play just because it has god mode. Does that count? :LZSevil:

13. xdan

xdan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I do this sometimes. I follow closely games discussion, so, when a game causes discussion, I want to experience it myself to understand what everyone is talking about, even if it's not something I'm otherwise interested in. You may call this academic curiosity.

14. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some games have a few unique mechanics but overall terrible execution. If the game is easy, I may finish it to learn how the mechanic can be improved. My current project incorporates mechanics from an RPG that had great ideas on the foundational level but was boring/easy due to flawed damage formulas. I figure writing better damage formulas can turn the whole thing around.