Monke

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im not that good at laws or the legality of this at all, but would it be possible for me to buy a license from someone who bought the license for his plugins originally and just never ended up using it? Again I don't know much about the legality of this, but I will pay for a license.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Quick answer - no. The other person does not have the right to sell on the license as it is granted to the original purchaser only. That is because you do not 'own' the software, you only 'own' the license - in the same way as you don't 'own' Windows or iOS. And what you don't own, you cannot sell.

EDIT
But wait. You spoke about plugins, but you are posting in scripts. Which is it? The reason being that if you are using scripts, therefore VX Ace, there is no issue.

In the header for the main Ultra Lighting script you have this:

Code:
# 2. You can use the script for free in both non-commercial and commercial
#    projects;

In which case, just go ahead. If, on the other hand, you are using plugins then you are in the wrong forum and what I wrote in my first paragraph stands.

Please clarify what you are using.

Last edited:

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick answer - no. The other person does not have the right to sell on the license as it is granted to the original purchaser only. That is because you do not 'own' the software, you only 'own' the license - in the same way as you don't 'own' Windows or iOS. And what you don't own, you cannot sell.

Software licenses are commonly considered to be covered under the First Sale Doctrine - in the same way that you can resell a Harry Potter book, or a Pokemon Red cartridge, or a Hunt for Red October DVD, you can resell your old windows 95 install CD, as long as you remove the program from your computers.

See this ruling from 2012, where the court holds that the right of software developers to control distribution of a piece of software - whether stored physically or digitally - is lost once the developer has been paid for it. This means that developers lose the ability to prohibit any second-hand sale.

Which is why Valve lost a court case in France and was ordered to allow people to resell games on Steam

As for a specific plugin's license, whether or not it's transferable or nontransferable is going to vary depending on the specific jurisdiction and terms it was licensed under - it's a thornier problem because it involves sublicense rights to let your customers have a copy of the plugin (rather than just permitting you to use it yourself)

Last edited:

Monke

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm talking about his mv plugins to clarify

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Does the word "research" imply that you're searching for something that had been found before?
So Dad broke the blinds two days ago and he finally decided to try to fix them. I doubt he'll do very well without some help. And I can't help him myself--I don't know how the stink to fix those blinds. My knowledge is just plushies, mascots, computers, animation, and video game design. And also, I've had to stop family and friends from downloading viruses too many times to count.
IlluminaughtyStore.jpg
:kaojoy:
Welcome to the Illuminaughty store.
Yes... they are "wearing Illuminati branded everything, reclining on huge Illuminati body pillows. Occasionally they'll "teehee" at each other and have pillow fights with Illuminati branded pillows full of hundred dollar bills."
BCj
Working on Escalia again, feels good. Have this overwhelming urge to map as well, but need to get some extra tiles commissioned first :D
Lee Sang wrote on Bandito's profile.
Hi, I've just tried your plugin "Game is Active" and when I tested it on Android, it gave me an error, something about "Cannot read property 'underfined' of underfined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuidadoDoyJuegos