Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

About Buzzy:
In a world of chaos, mystery, and uncertainty, where gratuitous word limits are imposed on all, one heroic Bee, Buzzy, stands in the way of total disaster for all life. Using his mighty wings and pure determination, he fights not only against his own limits, but also against the limits of Mother Nature's mighty gusts, gravity itself, and the harsh terrain that he calls home in order to collect enough honey stars to survive the season.

Failure is not an option here! If Buzzy fails to collect enough stars before the seasons change, not only will he himself perish - his entire hive, the only hive remaining, will perish alongside him!!

You, controlling Buzzy, must do whatever it takes protect his hive, protect the world, and most of all, protect his one true love - the hive queen from certain destruction....

Your Goal:
Guide Buzzy through the treacherous maze of ups and downs in this totally original and one of a kind tap tap minigame!! Collect as many honey stars as you can to ensure his, and his hives survival.

Gameplay & Features:
  • Simple tap and click mechanics. The key to Buzzy's survival, use either your keyboard, mouse, or finger to make him flap his wings and avoid obstacles. The more you tap, the higher he goes!
  • Easy to understand collection based scoring system. The more honey stars you add to your collection, the more your score will grow.
  • 1280x720p HD Resolution
  • Keyboard/Gamepad Support (space/ok)
  • Animated Loading Screen
  • Asset Preloading for smooth gameplay
  • Improved Collision Detection
  • Quick Jump Boost (double taps = high jumps)
  • Personal Highscore Record
  • Online Highscore Records

The Making Of:
This game is just a little something I randomly decided to make this morning. Its currently in beta because of this, but I do feel that it has all the features I'd like to add at this time. If you have any suggestions for improvements, or a bug to report, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

The Making Of II:
I have spent the past few days tightening the game mechanics, clicking my mouse, upscaling the resolution, tapping my phone screen, adding personal records, clicking mouse again, loading screens, redoing almost all assets, and of course, clicking my mouse some more!!

Hoping to have an android version ready for download soon. Need to add an asset preloader next I think... On mobile there is a noticeable delay when a new level loads for the first time. I'm guessing folks with slow web connections will suffer the same fate on the web hosted version...

The Making Of III:
Spend the past week writing and rewriting a node.js backend api to manage highscores. This has now been fully implemented in Buzzy. I also spent far too long scrolling through different fonts to choose one for the highscore list, redesigned the game title and end scenes to accommodate highscores and a shiny name input box. Asset preloading is now also a thing (at least for the heavier images)

All thats really left is mobile. An android port might be released at some point, but tbh, im sick of this game now. I've spent almost two weeks constantly clicking my damn mouse (my personal best is now 207 - I haven't posted any scores on the highscore list since it went live to give people a chance to get good) :D

Gameplay Footage:

Play Here:
https://dekitarpg.com/games/buzzy

Pro Tips:
  • To enter fullscreen, click the game window and press F4. (or use site button)
  • Press the print screen key to automatically download a png of your game screen. (or site button)
  • Look out for the ultra rare honey hue! Make sure to collect it to quickly build your score!!

Credits:
Programming: DekitaRPG
Graphics: Akashics & Craftpix
Engine: RPG Maker MZ
Additional: @Amysaurus and @Galenmereth for help with lore creation for this description!!

Additional Challenge:
What's the highest score you can get to?? I can barely get past 50!!
Be sure to share your highest score screenshots below!!

My highest score is now 207, can you do better?
Buzzy now has an online highscore list, so no need to post your screenshots!!

Last edited:

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Additional Challenge:
What's the highest score you can get to?? I can barely get past 50!!
Be sure to share your highest score screenshots below!!
It's a neat minigame. The collision detection is a bit unforgiving, tho. I feel like if even a single pixel of the bee's wing touches an obstacle, you're immediately dead.

Here's my score after I finally found out how to play this. :LZSjoy:

screenshot_1600281852444.png

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!! Thanks for trying it out <3

I know its just a silly little game, quite different from the typical rpg that gets posted in these forums, so I wasn't sure anyone would actually bother lol.

Yea, I agree the collision needs to be a bit better. Its because there is a few empty pixels on the wall objects, and at the edges of the bee sprite that still get counted for the collision. I've tried to counter it with a simple offset in the detection, but it needs to be better!!

I tested a port of this on mobile today, and while it works fairly well, there are a few random bugs that I need to fix before I can release a mobile port. (better collision being one of them - its way more noticeable on mobile for me lol) I also want to add an online highscore system. I have no idea what my best score is now, and it'd be nice to keep a record of that for each player. :)

Thanks again for your feedback <3

Edit: Just updated op with video of my high score ;)

Last edited:

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks again for your feedback <3
No prob, mate. I like simple and cute games like this. Nice to spend some time on if you don't have time to play a large rpg or so.

I'll beat your highscore the next days. :LZSwink:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've already rekt that highscore ;)

I've been working on resizing everything for 720p resolution (for better look on mobile), and yes, porting for android. Also completely redone the collision mechanics (see spoiler).. I'm currently adding a few little touches that make things just feel smoother and nicer :)

Also gonna try squeeze in a 'personal best' record keeper type deal :p

Let me know what the next score you get is! :)

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This Minigame has just been updated with the following features:
  • 1280x720p HD Resolution
  • Image Sizes Changed (to support 720p)
  • Keyboard/Gamepad Support (space/ok)
  • Animated Loading Screen
  • Improved Collision Detection
  • Quick Jump Boost (double taps = high jumps)
  • Personal Highscore Record
The update is already live.

Hope you enjoy!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even though I have rubbish reflexes, I thought I would give it a go. It seemed a bit laggy, and then totally froze on me, at this point.

1600544072937.png

I don't know if you can identify the spot from this, but it's not very far in.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes ha omg wth... yea it must be lagging. because the objects spawn based on time, and they are normally much further apart. So your game isnt updating enough frames before the spawn to get the spacing done lmao

The spacing is normally like:
1600544917814.png
that far apart :D

If you replay the level is it smoother, or it constantly having lag issues?

F2 works btw for showing the fps's :)

I think the game may have frozen due to not having any area that it could spawn a reward star thing.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Had several more goes. It's either laggy or buzzy plunges straight to the ground without ever moving forwards. Froze again only once, at this point, maybe 2-3 seconds in, max.
1600545634312.png

Sounds still playing, even though the graphics have stopped.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok, gonna need some more info I think..

Are you playing in the small game window on my site? have you tried going into fullscreen mode? (F4)

Is the game auto stretching to fit your window? your pics dont seem to be the full screen size somehow.. Whats your screen/monitor resolution? (F3 to test)

When playing, before the crashes, are the backgrounds or other images stuttering?

What FPS are you getting when playing? (F2)

Has there been a single time you have been able to pass one of the 'walls'? :(

Oh, and what Browser, OS, and CPU are you using?

I have a feeling you are using firefox... Could you do me a favour if you have chrome installed and run it there. I get super bad performance on firefox too. Probably something to do with the entire project being obfuscated af :D

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you playing in the small game window on my site? have you tried going into fullscreen mode? (F4)
Yes, playing that small window on your site. Just tried F4, and that froze as well. Once I got this error message, but that be because I started clicking too quickly, in an effort to avoid the frequent case of buzzy going vertically down before I even get a chance to click once.
1600547133388.png

Is the game auto stretching to fit your window? your pics dont seem to be the full screen size somehow.. Whats your screen/monitor resolution? (F3 to test)
The screen shots weren't full screen size, but the small game window on your site. F3 on my laptop just brings up the 'Search' function for the page (i.e. = Ctrl+F)
The resolution, though, is 1920 x 1080.

When playing, before the crashes, are the backgrounds or other images stuttering?
Not noticeably. But as it is usually only about 2 seconds or so before it freezes, there isn't much chance to notice things.

What FPS are you getting when playing? (F2)
Highly variable, but mostly between 30 and 50. The lowest I've noticed is 23, the highest 57. Sometimes it freezes before I get the chance to hit F2, but when I have had it at the time of the freeze it's been between 28 -33.

Has there been a single time you have been able to pass one of the 'walls'? :(
Nope, not once. I have got over a wall, but never where there is a wall originating at the top of the screen, especially when it is like this (froze at this point, so I had the chance to capture it.) Being solid, I couldn't see how to get past it.
1600547443208.png

[/QUOTE]Oh, and what Browser, OS, and CPU are you using?
[/QUOTE]
Browser is Firefox
OS Windows 10
fuller specs:
1600547557862.png

I have a SSD laptop, not one with a HD, if that makes any difference.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes Yea, firefox... Theres something in the obfuscation I used (super heavy obfuscation) that firefox seems to be having issues with. I tested myself there and it acts the same as you are reporting. But runs totally fine on chrome! :(

I'm gonna have to fiddle with my obfuscator tool to maybe dial back the aggressiveness. But that may take some time to get right! :(

I have a strong feeling its something to do with the fact that each plugin has its own debug protection running :D

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Updated the game to v1.0.3.

New features include:
  • Preloader updated to support assets
  • Improved Level Particles
  • Added helpful fullscreen/toggle FPS buttons to site
  • Firefox users should now have stable FPS
  • Various Bug Fixes/Improvements

Side note:
Yes, the reason the game wasnt running well was because of the debug protection that was constantly checking to ensure that 'the hakkarz' werent trying to get at the code. I have dialed back that part a little and its running at a stable FPS on my machine....

However, The game still runs much smoother on Chrome.

I have tested the game with no and lots of obfuscation on both firefox and chrome. Even the 'vanilla' game doesnt run very smoothly on firefox. Its all just smoother on chrome.

I'm guessing this was never noticed/considered an issue by the RM devs because nwjs uses chromium under the hood, so they likely have much less time testing in a firefox environment.

Anyway, game is now 'stable' on firefox, but if you want the best experience, just use chrome. There is no jerkiness between frames at all on chrome. :D

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Finally, I have updated the game to v1.0.4.

Changelog:
  • Online Highscores Added (name entry before play)
  • Buttons added to game page for easy fullscreen/fps/more
  • Minor performance improvements
  • Minor Graphical Improvements
Pretty sure I'm actually finished now lol

Happy highscoring :*

Attachments

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I cannot get a proper score with this version of the game. I can barely get past 10, because the spaces to fly through are way too small now. However, I bet they're pretty much random-generated and I was just very unlucky a couple of times in a row.

screenshot_1602291304072.png

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Tw0Face hmm.. the wall spawns are based on time (how things should be done), but everything moves based on frame updates (as per rm standards, cause I cant be bothered rewriting the graphics core), if there isnt enough space (which those do look a bit close together) then the game wont be running at a smooth 60 fps. The game page has some buttons appear when the game loads for displaying the fps etc. If your not getting 59+ average fps, the game seems to spawn everrything much closer than it should.

Are you using chrome or firefox? I had some similar issues with firefox back when I was doing really strong obfuscation, but I changed how it was doing it, and havent had any issues since then.

also, what kind of specs does your computer have? if you care to share :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've got my hero designs pretty much finialised ( still got some tweaks. ) In the end it'll be the four outfit colour variants with four different skintones.

I'm a bit conflicted. One the one hand, it's quite visually cool to make bodies of water that the player can interact with by going into it. However obscuring the player character from a gameplay perspective is pretty bad. Hmm... There's the option to make the area around the player visible, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of submerging them. :unsure:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Another two plugins done! One being an on map grid inventory.
busy with my newborn child, can't even touch pc at all ;_;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
napax