Not open for further replies.

NewDayS

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, I hope you take the time to read my request.

I'm currently trying to build a game and I have a very specific type of combat music I'd like to achieve. That system is the same system that a game called "The Caligula Effect" uses. When walking normally through a dungeon, an instrumental version of a song will play, but if you run into an enemy and combat begins the song changes to the lyrics version seamlessly and once combat is finished it returns to the instrumental version seamlessly. Here is a video of that system in action:

Skip to the 57 minute mark, should be a perfect example.

Now, I should let you all know that I have searched far and wide to make sure that this sort of idea hadn't already been completed and I found various things that in the end never ended up satisfying my needs.

To make this work, I tried having the lyric music be played as the BGM but almost muted so that you can't hear it and then have the instrumental track play as BGS at full volume. I have it set so that when you press the action key on an enemy it practically mutes the BGS and turns up the volume for the BGM, making it so the lyrical version is heard in combat [But the bgs is still playing so that I can resume it out of battle]. I used the https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/no-battle-bgm.47548/ plugin so that BGM carries over seamlessly.

Here's where things start to go wrong, after you win the battle and return to the map I have a parallel process set to reverse the volumes again making the BGM almost muted and the BGS louder it's revealed to me that the bgs is not continuing seamlessly but rather as if it was paused and then played again after returning from combat. I then did some searching in regards to this and found out that a few things in the rpg make code, more specifically this code in particular:

a5ITJI7

7FKhdSU

So naturally I carefully removed EVERYTHING that could potentially stop it from stopping the BGS while in combat but to no avail, no matter what I do it acts as though the BGS is being paused and then resumed once I exit combat, but as a result of this the lyrical and instrumental are no longer synced up and the results are not to be desired. I should also note that I've made sure both versions of the songs match up naturally so that isn't the problem either.

I apologize for the wall of text, but I'm dying for a plugin to allow me to do this. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm using RPG Maker MV for this.

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your images don't appear to have loaded so I don't know what you've already tried to know if my solution would be any different.

EDIT: Images not loading is my bad, working now.

You're editing the base code that handles the BGS, which the plugin you're using already aliases. If you edit the "no battle bgm" plugin and remove line 30 "AudioManager.stopBgs();" that should solve your problem.

Code:
BattleManager.playBattleBgm = function() {
    if($gameSystem._battleBgmEnabled) {
      AudioManager.playBgm($gameSystem.battleBgm());
  }
  AudioManager.stopBgs(); //remove this line
};

Last edited:

NewDayS

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your images don't appear to have loaded so I don't know what you've already tried to know if my solution would be any different.

EDIT: Images not loading is my bad, working now.

You're editing the base code that handles the BGS, which the plugin you're using already aliases. If you edit the "no battle bgm" plugin and remove line 30 "AudioManager.stopBgs();" that should solve your problem.

Code:
BattleManager.playBattleBgm = function() {
    if($gameSystem._battleBgmEnabled) {
      AudioManager.playBgm($gameSystem.battleBgm());
  }
  AudioManager.stopBgs(); //remove this line
};

Unbelievable, how did I miss that? That did it, thank you so much.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Riding thru a slump and not sure how to drag myself out of it. Hate it when these moods take me. Trying to focus on my art but hit a wall with that(TT)
Trying to come up with an idea for a game, so far nothing.
I had one goal when I set out to make my Game Jam game. It didn't have to be super good and the game didn't have to have the best writing - it just had to NOT CRASH.

So yeah, someone was streaming it and it crashed.
Add Special Effects on Map with Tilesets | RPG Maker News #105

Excited to see all the entries for the 2021 Touch the Stars Gamejam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gio908w