Call all Foodies and Lovers of Food!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Ms Littlefish, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You work at a cheese cakery? Yay!!!
    It almost sounds so good and tasty at first , then when you hear factory it is all like machine sounding and hateful, then you think about cheesecake again then it's like a friendly machine that makes cakes. Cheese cakes. So then it becomes a cheese cakery. I could see everyone being super happy too. And if a cake gets messed up they can eat it and every one gets happier. How could anyone not love a job a like that.

I don't know if I could eat a whole tray all at once but I could eat a few. I don't know what it is, I can resist them if I see them at the store but.. I can't hardly help myself when they are baking in the oven.. then they come out smelling all tasty and undulating with various delicious smells, then that icing gets slathered on and its all melty and gooey... Meow.

So it has sauteed onions and takes a quarter of a day to prepare? How can it take so long and be so tasty sounding at the same time? After that rice got made and some meat was cooked I'd be eating it.. I might try roasting an egg too. Because that sounds fun.. you just toss that egg in the oven at 400 degrees and dance around waiting for it?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To clarify, I do not work at any cheese cake bakery.

It was just there was a restaurant called "The Cheesecake Factory" where I probably ate my first cheesecake and inspired me to bake cheesecakes.

3. Sauteed_Onion

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ooooo.. so you are like solo cheese caker Baker. This is pretty cool.

Guiguimu likes this.
  4. Harrumi

Harrumi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm a college trained cook, but in all honestly I just like to create my own things. I have several clients I make candy for; my recipe uses coconut oil for the benefits.

If you wanted to try to make some...

1. c sugar.
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1 dram/ 1 tsp oil flavoring (lorann is a good one)

Mix first 3 ingredients in small sauce pan, you're going to need a candy thermometer and a whisk. Insert candy thermometer into the sauce pan, making sure that the thermometer doesn't touch the bottom of the pan. Turn your heat onto medium high, you can stir/mix your sugar mix up until it starts to boil!... it boils, you don't touch anymore...

boil mixture until it's reached slightly under 300oF, then once it's reach this temperature remove from heat and rapidly stir in flavor oil. REMEMBER this mixture will be molten hot!!! DO NOT TOUCH IT!

pour mixture into heat appropriate molds, or pour on tinfoil until set. There you go, yummy candy.

5. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Croissant pockets stuffed with diced apple. Will be served with nuts and powdered sugar!

6. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KanaX That is pretty darn near the perfect dessert. Tons of textures and different flavors in each nook and cranny. Mmmmm!

Here are a few things I've made to get back on track this week. I spent the weekend at a b'nai mitzvah, so that means twice the cakes and twice the sweets were served, haha! I have some coconut flour pancakes, raspberry chia jam, cocoa nibs, pineapple + spinach smoothie for breakfast. For dinner, I have salmon burgers, roasted sweet potatoes, and farro salad. That should calm down the jumpy stomach.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Guiguimu

Guiguimu The best revenge is massive success Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @evmaster your photos are a temptation...
    To all lactose intolerants out there, there is hope! Lately, when baking something that requires some sort of milk product, I just use the lactose free option and it works! I mean, probably you guys know all about this, but for those who don't, use a normal recipe and lactose-free ingredients!
    @KanaX that looks delicious! I love desserts that utilize apples on the recipe and those look really yummy. You have an autumn feel on your photo that warms the belly of those who see it!
    @Harrumi going to give it a try soon! Thank you for sharing!
    @Ms Littlefish Again, such delicious photos, you really know how to plate up! I need to try to cook sweet potatoes like that, they look tasty!

Here is my try with hubby, we did a cake from... Our imagination!
    Mixing ingredients like crazy and it actually work xD
    Purple Cake!
    [​IMG]

Unlike @Ms Littlefish I can't plate, so...
    But it has an heart on it! And it was really yummy, didn't last more than a couple of hours xD

Attached Files:

8. evmaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guiguimu Hehe, sorry about that. :kaoswt:

Also your cake is really cute! You put that heart shape on really well.

Sauteed_Onion and Guiguimu like this.
  9. Guiguimu

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @evmaster don't worry! Like my mom used to say, we also eat with our eyes!
    Thank you! I tried my best >.<

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  10. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guiguimu D'aww. Thanks! I think the trick to plating is using the right one. Put something on the wrong size plate and it will never look nice! I think your cake looks fine! Sweets are pretty appealing all by itself! :p

I've also found that plant-based milk works in baked goods just fine. I think milk is used mostly for moisture and richness and isn't undergoing as many chemical reactions as say the salt and baking soda. Even egg and wheat flour have many viable replacements now! Those of course aren't the concerns of lactose intolerants but I really enjoy making low allergy sweets so almost everyone can enjoy them without worrying if it suits their allergies. I use canned coconut milk in a lot of soups/bisque in place of half-and-half. It works pretty well most of the time! There are a few times it doesn't pair well but for most vegetable soups I enjoy it.

11. Guiguimu

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ms Littlefish thank you too! ^^ Ahah yep, everything that has sugar on it looks good to me xD

I never used coconut oil before, only learned about it a couple of months ago but already heard it does wonders... On soup it sounds actually fun! Nowadays, with the amount of healthy replacements there is, we can really enjoy those forbidden desserts with almost no worries. Even for sugar, we can now replace it for stevia, which apparently is more healthy (gotta give it a try)...

Sauteed_Onion and Ms Littlefish like this.
  12. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guiguimu I use stevia a lot, but a lot of people have trouble with the aftertaste. The aftertaste is a bit bitter, so a little bit of honey or maple syrup can help take the edge of it off. Those two are still added sugars, but replacing even part of the sugar in a recipe with stevia lowers the overall sugar content, of course. A sweetener is still a sweetener, so sweets in moderation still! At least, that's how I feel. Though, it definitely is nice that we can make them a bit bitter for us now. Also, coconut milk for soup, not oil! Though, coconut oil is great for many things as well! That would be a very oily soup, lol.

13. Guiguimu

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ms Littlefish read it well, on my head I said milk, dunno why I wrote oil :yswt: Well, sometimes people use oil in soups, like olive oil. Don't know if it would work, tho xD
    Exactly, every type of sweetener should be consumed with caution, I agree with you. Using fruit, like apples or strawberries in desserts also helps to lower down the sugar in recipes, it's also a more healthier option when possible. I only use fruit when these are starting to get... Spoiled? so nothing gets thrown away.

14. Harrumi

Harrumi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    attached are a few things I've done.. the top is the top tear to the wedding cake I made with my mom, there's a whoopie pie, the hard candy I've done, lasagna rolls for quick meals, and chili.

Edit: added cupcake recipe for st patties day. Maybe you can understand it, my creations writing is rather unique... And by unique I mean messy af.

P_20180316_185813.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  15. Guiguimu

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi all and Happy Easter!
    So, wanted to show you guys my Charlotte Cake! Made with red fruits and lactose free!
    [​IMG]
    It was a pink dream to me ahah

Attached Files:

16. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Whites-only omelette with cheese, tomatoes, bell pepper and mushrooms.

17. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KanaX , that looks lovely! I love an omellete with fresh veggies.

I had this tonight. Fish tacos with a sauce, a tiny bit of cheese, fresh pico and avocado on jicama "tortillas":

tacos.jpg

Sorry the pic is blurry. I was in a hurry to eat. :p

18. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @evmaster "demanded" food pictures, lol. :p

[​IMG]
    A breakfast of fried eggs, roasted potatoes, sauteed garlic, mushrooms, and spinach, and fresh sliced tomatoes.

[​IMG]

A lentil stew of leek, fennel, carrot, garlic, red bell pepper, spinach, basil, and tomato. Topped with boiled egg.

Guiguimu, Sauteed_Onion and evmaster like this.
  19. evmaster

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OHMYGOSH

You are so good at taking food pictures. Your presentations are always impressive!

Thank you! =D

20. Sauteed_Onion

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was surfing a website I hadn't been to in a long time, and found an image of some general tso's I cooked a long time ago. Meow.
    [​IMG]

I watched this video to make it.. but added more veggies I think.

Guiguimu likes this.