Wes Lesley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Hiya.

So I'm using a credits plugin that can only get images from the Title1 folder.

and as far as I know I can only show images from the Pictures folder.

and when things from plugins aren't used in the game, they don't get deployed. Like Yanfly's ATB plugin using Decision1 SE, it's nowhere else in my game so it didn't get deployed.

so what I need:

EITHER:

a way to get access to show the title cards I need for the credits so they get deployed.

OR

a way to get "deploy" working with stuff used only by the plugins.

Can anyone help me with this, please? It is a major obstacle and I need it fixed before this project gets too big. :(  

I was hoping to find a script call thing to let me summon title cards but no luck. :(  

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only solution is to not use remove unused resources, and manually remove the resources you are not using.

Wes Lesley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
You MUST be joking. the opposite would surely be less work. ... right?

but i'm looking and looking and LOOKING and there's a boss fight that used "cure4" animation. I didn't tell it to. it must be a plugin but ... where? which one? >_< this is bananas. there must be some way to include stuff in deployment. otherwise every time i deploy a test run i'm gonna have to hand-pick everything?

that's nuts. that's utter nuts. :s 

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a way for plugins to tell the engine to include the resources in a deployment.  Do you have a link to the credits plugin?

I am really confused about what the title of the thread has to do with your issue though.  I was expecting something about allowing the player to choose the gender of their PC and then having the dialogue boxes use him/her, his/hers, he/she correctly according to their choice.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The problem is remove unused resources was added partway when MV was made, and plug-ins made before then are not set up to check for it. That is the crux of the problem. Plus, it requires special code for it to work, which some writers haven't had time or resources to add in (or even know how to add in).

Wes Lesley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
The problem is remove unused resources was added partway when MV was made, and plug-ins made before then are not set up to check for it. That is the crux of the problem. Plus, it requires special code for it to work, which some writers haven't had time or resources to add in (or even know how to add in).
youch. they're the yanfly plugins, except for the credits one, that's one by galv.

any chance you could teach me the code and I'll see if it can be implemented? (hey i can ask)

and i was thinking I could call them using a script. CALL. TITLE1. ... pun.

And @bgillisp did you mean removing stuff from the project folder... and then just not have any need to exclude unused files because there are no unused files?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And @bgillisp did you mean removing stuff from the project folder... and then just not have any need to exclude unused files because there are no unused files?
Yes. That's what I mean. Much easier, and you're not at risk of a program making a mistake.

As for the code, I don't know it, sorry. I just read it can be done in some cases. Not even sure it works for all plug-ins using resources.

Wes Lesley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
if you find out anything about such code - i learned enough Oracle ApEx in a week to help out at a company. I learn quick. I'm good at frankencoding. so ... let me know! @bgillisp

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did ask you for a link to the credits plugin.  That is the one that needs to have the code added.  If you want to have a go yourself, the instructions are in the help file (F1) under Documentation > (Exclude unused files) Plugin Configuration.

The method differs depending on whether the image names are hardcoded or parameters.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't exclude unused resources, you will not get the error.  That doesn't mean the problem's fixed - it just means you've replaced one problem with a different one.

The help file tells you how to make plugins include the required resources.  Fixing a problem is better than a workaround that just leaves you with a different problem.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My method works for me, in two parts...

1 - I start my Projects completely empty (that's to say, I don't use 'New' to create a Project, but copy into a now folder a pre-prepared Empty Project which contains no resources at all...). By doing this, I can be sure that any resources needed have been put into the Project manually, by myself, as and when they are needed for the Project. There is therefore no need to 'exclude unused files', as all are used, or I wouldn't have put them there.

2 - I'm not an Oracle expert, and learn at (almost...) human speed, and managed to insert the relevant code into the few Plug-ins I use so that the System would, in fact, know that their files were required, and where they were to be found. The method was easy enough to read through in the 'Help' file, and once I found one Plug-in which worked, it was simple enough to modify others. It's not rocket surgery; most literate folks should be able to do it for most cases (and it's especially useful to know how to do if there are custom file names that the original Plug-in could not know about...).

I'm perhaps slightly spoiled in that I don't use tons of Plug-ins, and my Projects are modest, but the same principles apply to most folks wanting to 'master' their Projects, I'd have thought. It's not difficult, given a bit of willing.

Just my tuppence-worth.

Wes Lesley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
wait. I think i'm missing something since my last post.

What's this help file you're talking about? does it have the code i need to make the plugins take their resources with them when deployed?

i can has plz? :3

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is the 'code' I inserted into the Plug-in to declare its Resources...

* @requiredAssets img/system/FootStep
 * @requiredAssets img/system/FootStepChicken
 * @requiredAssets img/system/WaterSplash
 * @help  

Change, obviously, for the paths and names of your Resources. I placed these lines just before the '@help' section of the Plug-in; I've left that mention just as a reminder. I didn't use the file suffixes.

As for a 'Help' file for MV in general: I think, if you installed correctly, 'F1' should invoke it. It's well worth reading through; all of it.

Hope this helps.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wait. I think i'm missing something since my last post.

What's this help file you're talking about? does it have the code i need to make the plugins take their resources with them when deployed?

i can has plz? :3
Everyone has the helpfile, and yes it includes the code.

Just hit F1 when the editor is open, or go to "Help - Contents" in the editor menus

Ut has been that way since Windows 95 (or even earlier, can't check how Win 3.1 handled it)

Wes Lesley

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Everyone has the helpfile, and yes it includes the code.

Just hit F1 when the editor is open, or go to "Help - Contents" in the editor menus

Ut has been that way since Windows 95 (or even earlier, can't check how Win 3.1 handled it)
Ah. I know this as the documentation. You couldn't have known that. I'm used to inform 7 where there's two windows in the program and the right is either the test compile or the documentation (or whatever else you want but) so it's a bit odd to me that the documentation is ... well, not integrated like that.

ya i know i'm spoiled. I'll hit F1. With my face.

Okay I hit F1. I broke my keyboard (and my nose). (just kidding.)

yeah this is not an edit i did this before submitting. ayyy foresight.

.. aww i can't just 

* @requiredAssets img/example/image_1
* @requiredAssets img/example/image_2
* @requiredAssets img/example/image_3

in the game build? i have to alter the freaking .JS ?

dang. oh well. guess I'm learning javascript. o.o

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just create a new js file that ONLY has the list of resources needed by all the plugins.  Add it to your plugin list so it'll be recognized.  Then there's only one file - your own - that you have to modify, which can handle ALL the resources.

btw - I gave you all the details of the F1 and where to go in the documentation several posts ago.  I guess you didn't read it.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just create a new js file that ONLY has the list of resources needed by all the plugins.  Add it to your plugin list so it'll be recognized.  Then there's only one file - your own - that you have to modify, which can handle ALL the resources.

This ^^ has been added to my ever-expanding 'Snippets' file. Thanks, Shaz.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Though I have to say, I also use your approach.  I create a new project and go through ALL the folders and delete everything so there's only a shell left.  Got to add the basic UI and SE so the game can be played without crashing.  Then as I add stuff, I know that the project ONLY contains the things that will be used.  That way, there's no need to exclude unused resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Would Jump into Javascript be best off continuing to break down the MV core files, or would people prefer a quick detour to cover everything that's changed in the core from MV to MZ?
Not going to lie... PIXI Particles make fantastic graphics... But predicting the hitbox of something with a "fixed size" but whose graphics can stick out past that, is quite challenging. :kaoswt:
Would you like a glass of spiders?
Besides my Might and Magic inspired project, I have always wanted to make a Fire Emblem-like game. Time is the culprit... Between life, composing music packs, and working on a game can it be done!? The tactical plugins for MV work quite well based on what I have tested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz