Calling all 8-Bit Gamers!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by VertigoAffliction, Feb 24, 2018.

1. VertigoAffliction

VertigoAffliction I can still play these older games like a champ. Veteran

First Language:
    ESL (English)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So, I find that a lot of people are talking about 'Wow! Native 4K res!' or 'Yeah! I can connect via bluetooth!' or some other form of modernized gaming that I just don't get the hype.

But I do understand when someone talks about Super Mario, or Tetris, or Legend of Zelda...

What are some of your favorites from the 8-Bit gaming era?

Not just consoles like the Famicom, NES, or the Master System, but any 8-Bit computer that could also be used for gaming.

A few of my favorites include Mario, Tetris, LoZ, Holy Diver, Doki Doki Panic, Sonic, King's Quest, Pitfall, E.T., Q*Bert, Rad Racer, Final Fantasy, R-Type, DOOM...

2. Alexander Hawksmoor

Alexander Hawksmoor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to love a game on the atari called Henry's house, then there's Duck Tales, Castle of Illusion, all of the Zelda and Mario games, Alex the Kidd, Streets of rage, man there are too many to name!

VertigoAffliction likes this.
  3. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    played Mario at a friend's house when it was *the thing to play in a weekday afternoon*
    and I owned a Tetris handheld game, which I played every day.....

from there, up.

I can't care less about 4K or portability, it doesn't make the game.

4. Faherya

Faherya The Knight of the Sad Figure Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Despite the bad reviews, this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. In addition to it, I've always enjoyed the early versions of Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Metroid and, of course, Mario.

5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it's aesthetically pleasing and fun I don't care if it is 8bit 16bit or 4k melt out your eyeballs. Interesting enough, my 11 year old loves pixel art and low bit games.

My favorites are the Zelda games, mario, the old square soft rpgs, ninja gaiden, TMNT 2, street fighter 2, blaster master, double dragon (all of them), mega man, and contra.

6. VertigoAffliction

First Language:
    ESL (English)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Faherya The Legend of the Ghost Lion got a bad rep, much like E.T. did, and basically for the same reasons.
    I happen to love both games, and I have both games, though unfortunately, Ghost Lion has not worked properly for several years. I'm no expert in repairs, so Ghost Lion is unplayable, for the time being.

@OnslaughtSupply NINJA GAIDEN. I love that game. Unlike the AVGN (whom of which I have a fondness for), I've beaten that game, and every one in the series. I've also played and beaten every Mega Man game, short of the rom hacks like the hard mode hacks for MM2. On any given day, LoZ II is always a good throwback to just sit and play for hours. Never gets old.
    I love Duck Hunt, but until I can get another CRTV, I can't play it with the Zapper.

lol That reminds me of a Duck Hunt rom hack I did play years back called Cop Hunt. It changed basically everything, borrowing sounds from six other games, but the dog was still there on occasion (sprite glitch). The idea was basically the same, only, the 'cops' would run off the side of the screen after three misses, with any hit, anywhere resulting in a loud 'UGH!' before the sprite vanished.
    I don't often use emulators, but I had to for this rom hack. Using the mouse to replicate the light gun made this game too easy, and it would be really easy with the original hardware because the target is too large.

7. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Forgot about duck hunt.
    Legend of Zelda 2 was my least favorite and it is the only one that is just totally different with the platformer parts. Never could get very far because I didn't know where to go and some of the battles were just too hard spastic.

8. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Repton 3 for the BBC Micro :biggrin: Fantastic puzzle game with a level editor, so I spent countless hours building and playing levels. And it's been remade for PC, so I still enjoy playing it to this day.

kaukusaki and VertigoAffliction like this.
  9. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like run-and-gun games like Contra and Super C, but some games I didn’t play like Tetris, Astyanax, TMNT Tournament Fighter NES, TMNT 3, Ducktale 2, coz I was sucks and age 3-4 ..... until I watched my siblings and my mom played and end the games.

10. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Nes was my jam. Mario, Zelda, Contra, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Bionic Commando, Castlevania, Mega Man, Metroid, Blaster Master, Duck Tails, TMNT 2, Kung Fu, Mike Tyson Punch Out, Rygar, Golgo 13, Wizards and Warriors, Tecmo Bowl etc.

I also played a good number of SNES and PSX games as well but then kind of fell out of modern gaming after that.

11. JamesdomusGames

JamesdomusGames I'm an anarchist. No, really. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One of the first (that I know of) turn based strategy games came out on the NES, called Desert Commander. I loved that game. I also had a Texas Instruments PC and it had a turn based strategy games based on feudal Japan, called Sengoku Jidai. That was another old timey favorite.

12. Zealraid

Zealraid Pixel Researcher Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First series Street fighter:hhappy:

Its fun that time

VertigoAffliction and kaukusaki like this.
  13. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Gauntlet rampart galaga bionic commando castlevania phantasy star off the top of my head... That's just the NES.
    I played a lot of games and a lot of systems. So I can't quite remember them all lol
    I had no friends

14. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, Bionic Commando thanks for that reminder!^^

Duck Tales, Willow, GI Joe, frogger, Mario 3, Tetris, Mickey's Magical Kingdom, Balloon fight, Mappy, Rescue911, Kiwi Craze, Chip 'n dale, ExciteBike, Little League Baseball, and the most aggravating of all: burger Time!:)

What was forgotten shall be magically inserted via Edit powers..

15. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will also second Willow and Little League Baseball. Both great games for the NES. Chip 'n Dale was pretty good too. Also in the pretty good to great category IMO would be Double Dribble, Ring King, The Adventures of Lolo, Metal Gear, Ninja Gaiden, Kid Icarus and Crystalis.

VertigoAffliction and kaukusaki like this.
  16. starlight dream

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow The Adventures of Lolo and Kid Icarus! Had forgotten those entirely. :)

I remember playing Chip 'n Dale with my brother in 2-player-team mode.
    The characters were lifting and throwing objects at the enemies. But if the object landed on your teammate he'd lose a life heart too. o_O
    We were too young to use the controls easily so we constantly injured and killed off eachother by mistake! Ha!. :p
    That game would start great and we'd end up at each other's throat within 10 minutes.

17. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @starlight dream
    I totally forgot about 2-player mode in Chip n' Dale's: Rescue Rangers. Those kinds of games were always better because you didn't have to take turns. That's like the whole reason why Double Dragon II was so much better than the first one. I even remember Nightmare on Elm Street even though it was a terrible game. It had local multiplayer, though, which made it worth playing.

18. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah double dragon was the shiz!! My sis and I played the hell out of that one lol
    I forgot chrysalis. I played a lot on that one too. My memory isn't the best any more lol

19. starlight dream

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Double Dragon was our favourite 2-player game! It had nice moves, that series kicked butt.

The other 2-player game we loved was TMNT 3. Pizza power.

kaukusaki and VertigoAffliction like this.
  20. VertigoAffliction

First Language:
    ESL (English)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Bare Knuckles (Streets of Rage outside of Japan) was also excellent and had local Co-Op and VS. Modes.
    The original Double Dragon was hard, especially by yourself.