Camera angle to create 2D images from 3D models

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Synx, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Synx

Synx Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I searched around a bit, but couldn't really find an answer for this question:

how do you actually set-up the camera in Blender if you created some 3d models to create the top-front view used in Rpgmaker.

I have put the camera on ortographic view, and set the camera in a 55-60 degrees angle (only angle I could find mentioned somewhere), but the result still feels off for larger assets. It's alright for something like a barrel, but I mainly made buildings, and in that case it just doesn't work.

I was thinking maybe rendering a front view and a top view separately and merging them together is a way to do it, but I doubt that will do well with more complex shapes.

Does anyone got any tips or posts to steer me into the right direction?

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I think you should learn from Jesse/PVGames, coz they make a lot of 2D assets from 3D models.

Shaz likes this.
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  4. Synx

Synx Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I looked up his assets, and it all seems in isometric view. There's a whole tutorial on how to create isometric view from a blender model, which I took my initial camera placement from. I adopted it to the basic front-top view, but it just feels a bit off.

5. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    He has top-down too, especially back on the Ace resources..

7. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the tag @Shaz :)

Just set the camera angle to 45 degrees. If you can, turn perspective mode off so that the resulting image is "flattened" and then move the camera an appropriate distance away from the model (up to you and the model to determine how far this needs to be).

Now you can freely rotate the model in whatever directions that you want them to render. 0, 90, 180, and 270 degree rotations will give you the four main cartesian directions, and 45, 135, -45, and -135 will give you the 4 diagonal directions.

Edit: Also, my stuff is not isometric, it is literally the exact same graphical projection as anything you will find around here on RPG Maker, I just tend to focus more on the diagonal graphics because I enjoy the depth they create.

Chdonga likes this.
  8. Synx

Synx Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the help. I thought there was some ratio between front-top parts, but apparently not.

It just looked like isometric, my bad.