Can a game like this be made with rpg maker?

WetRat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Here’s my idea:

One of those anime gacha games with a pretty boy/cute girl idol theme. It presents itself like a normal online game, however it’s really a completely offline visual novel. There’s a music themed mini game you play where you earn points to level up, coins for upgrading cards, and gems for the gacha. As you level up, you unlock more of the main story. There are zero micro transactions, meaning you entirely earn gems for the gacha just by playing the game normally.

There is an “event” system, however you unlock these events as if they are just side quests. You play the mini game and do missions to earn tokens specific to each event, and once you have enough tokens, you’ll unlock another chapter of the event. After you finish the event story, you are taken to a gacha banner that’s themed for that event, all the tokens you managed to earn are converted into gems and you play the gacha hoping to get the featured rare cards on the event banner. Then the next event unlocks and you do that loop all over again.

After you are done, that entire banner gets dropped into the gacha pool (meaning via some sort of standard banner, you still have a chance to do gacha pulls for those cards after the event is over, however now they are in a huge pool of other cards from past events)

The gacha rates will be reasonable and there will be a pity system. There’s no reason to have low rates because you aren’t trying to convince the player to spend money as there is no way to spend money.

I understand that an insane amount of time and money would have to be put into this. I would have to commission artists to help me with animations, creating cards and outfits for the characters, and music. It would be a lot of money to put into a game that’ll be completely free to play. However I think it would be fun to make my own gacha game, so I’ll do it anyways. I might go to Kickstarter to get funding if I have to.

I’m just wondering if something like this could all be achieved via Rpg maker or if I’ll have to get another engine. I’d have to track down or commission a bunch of plug ins to get stuff to work the way I want it to. And I don’t fully know how exactly I’d be able to get the whole interface of the game down where pressing different buttons will take you to either the page for the gacha, event, main story, etc

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The gacha rates will be reasonable and there will be a pity system. There’s no reason to have low rates because you aren’t trying to convince the player to spend money as there is no way to spend money.
One of the biggest ways you can make things reasonable is by making it impossible to get something you already have. You can still have a rarity system and guarantee the player will get everything. There's a gacha-like system in a Zelda game (Minish Cap?) where if you spend enough of a resource, you are guaranteed to get something you haven't already pulled. It's starts off extremely low and goes up very slowly (and I still think it's a bit much).

As for "can this be made in rpg maker?", the answer is always yes*, where the asterisk is "sometimes it's much harder and there might be a better system out there for this". However, this doesn't sound much different from a regular rpg with the gimmick of a gacha built in, so really the hardest part will likely be the art.

WetRat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One of the biggest ways you can make things reasonable is by making it impossible to get something you already have. You can still have a rarity system and guarantee the player will get everything. There's a gacha-like system in a Zelda game (Minish Cap?) where if you spend enough of a resource, you are guaranteed to get something you haven't already pulled. It's starts off extremely low and goes up very slowly (and I still think it's a bit much).

As for "can this be made in rpg maker?", the answer is always yes*, where the asterisk is "sometimes it's much harder and there might be a better system out there for this". However, this doesn't sound much different from a regular rpg with the gimmick of a gacha built in, so really the hardest part will likely be the art.
For the art, I know I can make all the basic assests myself, but I’m definitely gonna need to commission some artists for the cards as I’m not that great with detailed pieces of art. For each event I can commission one artist to make me three cards in their artstyle for the featured characters. I think it would be pretty nice having different artstyles represented in the game.
But that would cost me an insane amount of money, so I’m hoping to put together a proof of concept and then set up a Kickstarter just to cover the costs of the art

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
For each event I can commission one artist to make me three cards in their artstyle for the featured characters.
But that would cost me an insane amount of money, so I’m hoping to put together a proof of concept and then set up a Kickstarter just to cover the costs of the art
Yeah, that's actually one of the biggest for gachas because they want really high quality artists and art for the characters because the characters are what really sell the game.

For the art, I know I can make all the basic assests myself
I’m hoping to put together a proof of concept and then set up a Kickstarter just to cover the costs of the art
For now, I would suggest doing that, making the assets yourself. You don't need great art for your game (you can likely just use some RTP busts for now) and once the game is finished outside of character art, then that product can draw in potential artists and kickstarters. Plus, once the game is in a finished state gameplay-wise, you'll have a hard number for how much art you need.

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
leaving all the artwork stuff aside
(you already know, that it will take a massive ammount of time and/or cash)

there are already a couple of offline games,
that try to "mimic" a real onlinegame

and while it can work, they all share one and the same "problem" in my opinion:
if i play an online game and the other person tells me "hello, nice day" ... each and every single time i talk with her the exact same "story" ... it would get kinda boring and you would stop talking with her, right?

so to "mimic" a onlinegame feeling,
you would need to have lots and lots of characters with lots and lots of (different and logical) dialog ... and that is quite a massive undertaking

that problem aside, i'd say everything else is 100% doable with the maker and already existing (picture / party / shop / minigame) plugins

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

oneOfUs.jpg
Streaming more Poppet Quest game even in about 12 minutes.
Some dog owners really impress me. I'm pushing 2-3 metric tons of garbage containers that destroy everything they hit. What do you think is going to happen to your tiny dog when I run it over? And why are you crossing my path to argue with me? Have you never been hit by 200kgs of garbage?

Lesson for you folks. Never mess with an angry garbage container. Or its driver.
I didn't dispose of a file properly and now my whole game won't start: I get a script error in the Scene Manager stage of game launch. What to do? Transfer it all to a new project? That's going to be tedious. Fortunately I am only nine workdays into it.
>< IMGUR!!!! *clenches fist*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gem1win