Can a RPGMaker game be good without custom resources?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xenphir, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Of course you can, but as everyone else have already said, it's just more difficult to get people to give your game a chance.
    But then again, one of the most popular and most successful among commercial RPG maker games is a game called "To The Moon".
    And while I think it might be using a few edits and such (can't remember) it's mainly RTP (from the older RPGmaker XP). Crazy huh?
    Well, not really. It's not praised for it's somewhat lackluster (but I guess okey:ish) graphics. It's praised for it's story and the music.

The map you got going there looks fine to me (although I wouldn't recommend spending a whole week on a single map). Remember that the most important thing is to actually finish the game. If you never finish, "good" or "bad" doesn't matter.
    Everything will take more time in the beginning while you're still learning, of course. But if this is your first game I'd recommend that you'll try to make something small and focused, especially if you're spending more than a week on a single village map (that does not seem to be overly complex either).

I know because I used to do the same thing myself. I knew I could make close to perfect parallax maps if I just kept polishing and revising them, and so I did. I probably got a few of those maps lying around somewhere on my hard drive still. What I don't have are the finished games they were supposed to be used in - because they don't exist. :kaocry:

2. metronome

metronome Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Geez... Hydroblast is made by Scythuz? I think I should at least check how the music goes. Thanks for letting me know.

About making money on RPGMaker game, it really depends on how much money you spend to make that game in the first place....
    Let's say your RM game is made of pure RTP with 101$ budget (100$ for steam direct), and then let's say you put it on sale for 2$ per purchase. If you manage to get 102+ sales, then you are making money, no matter how small the money is....

Imagine wasting 10k$ on RM game(no RTP, pure custom graphic goodness), and then putting it on sale for 10$ per purchase and then all you get is 200 sales......it would be disaster.

That wise man had to say it because he himself had judged book by its cover when he was younger :D.

3. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph (RM Tyrant - Overlord of Memes)™

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Archeia, Xenphir and MMMm like this.
  4. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    But you guys actually put EFFORT into that. There was probably more work put into those posts just now than most of the games I was talking about.

6. Xenphir

Xenphir Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    True true. My current goal is to make what I can make custom, edit parallax, and whatever I simply cannot do (Or would be an utter bollocks amount of time to put in for my first game) I will fill in with RTP. But I will still put forth effort and use RTP in a way I want, not just slap a square house or two in some grass xD. I am hoping to make at least my own grass/ground textures as they seem the easiest bit. Houses and my own objects though... I'll have to get those somewhere in RTP or from a lovely creator on these forums that let us use them for free @o@

(My game's credits gonna be so long already haa xD)

7. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think you are confusing a good game with a commercially successful game. The two concepts are not always in line with each other. Quite actually, I've seen commercially successful games that are absolutely awful. I've also seen games that are massively underrated and did not sell as well as they really deserved to. Even among the games that did sell really well for their time, there are underappreciated games, such as Perfect Dark on N64 (there is a VERY good reason this is metacritic's highest rated FPS).

8. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I sure hope so! I have little desire to spend days or weeks working on a map and custom character portraits and all that. I just want to make games that people can play and go, "That was really fun. I'm glad I checked that out". I grew up playing Dragon Warrior and FF1 and still go back and play those so RTP graphics are fantastic as far as I'm concerned. While beautiful custom graphics can certainly enhance a game, the only thing I really care about is whether I'm having fun playing it. And when I'm making a game, that's the main thing on my mind. "Is this fun? Will others think this is fun?".

Now it's just all about trying to build a reputation in the community where people will see a game from me and think, "Frogboy made this. I need to check it out". I haven't quite got there yet but I have faith. One day...

OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Actually, no, I'm not confusing the two. I was replying to a post which made the opposite claim
    My argument was that this was to conflate two quite separate things, and that a good game might not be well known. You acknowledge this is true in your next sentence.

I completely agree with this.

10. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I wasnt replying to you when I said the part about confusing twp ideas. Sorry for any confusion.

11. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Responsible for Kitten Mita development

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No. I'm trying to re-write the meaning of what Good Games Nowadays.
    If you ask me what is a good food, I won't say it need to be tasty, or appealing, or healthy. It just need to satisfy your hunger. Otherwise, you are just being subjective.
    Good game need to be fun back then. Because that is their basic function. But nowadays, it only need to be well-known. Other aspect is just extra. I won't be surprised if in the far future, the standard of a good game will become "a game that's completed". That is my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kuro DCupu I am tempted to do a detailed rebuttal, but that would be to derail the thread, so I shall just leave it with the statement that I disagree, and that "good" has always had a subjective element - nothing new there.

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  13. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, you can eat from trash to get sustinance if you're desperate but by that logic, garbage bins are source for good food. Good food generally has flavor, appealing and yes, it can be healthy too. Usually it's any combination of these things.

Same with games, you don't just play games just for sake of game itself or else we'd still be playing text based adventure games or games that look like this.

Also this game sold decently because of the cover alone.

legend-of-the-amazon-women.jpg

Does this make it a good game by your logic, because it had sales and technically made proffit?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  14. CavaliereHoScudo

CavaliereHoScudo Villager

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As one of those people who tends to use the RTP files without much custom content (if at all), I think the post quoted below best describes what I think about the subject.

If I wanted to create a game that's well received by at least a minor part of gamers, I would consider a drastic makeover in favour of custom resources, or at least limit the usage of base RTP files for "practice purpose", which IMHO it's absolutely fine.
    On the other hand, if you're doing this just for fun (which is essentially what I'm doing), and not for something more serious, then I think you will be fine with whatever floats your boat.

Now, for the quoted post:

15. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wait, Scythuz named their first game after skin lotion?

16. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Responsible for Kitten Mita development

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ... You do know that eating from trash will definitely causes you to vomit, which won't be satisfying, right? Also when you are in such condition, to eat from trash means to eat to survive. Not to feel satisfied.

It's called "good" because it fulfills its function, depend on situation and condition you are in. The same goes for everything, including games. Look at the situation and condition nowadays : Games are easier to make. Games are everywhere. Internet exist and easier to access. Lotsa people think that games are just tool to kill times. Lotsa think that games is another world to dwelve in. Lotsa think of it as product for business. This put the standard of what a good games to simply to be well known, both in good way or in bad way to become a meme.

Anyway, I don't even know that game. But, ain't the data already proved it?

By the way, we are derailing from topic here. If anybody have a say regarding my opinion, feel free to PM me. I'm busy till next year, so I might answer few days later.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Here's an extra reply for the topic.

Don't bind your way of thinking into making an RPG or "just a game" just because you are using RPG Maker. Especially when you are planning to not use any custom resources. I've heard an RM game called "Why I hate RPG Maker" ... or something like that (haven't found it), which the title alone made me interested. It's like the game is not a game, but a message.

17. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I actually saw a documentary about these weird hippies who were making their food literally from trash.

18. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With a bit of effort you can make rtp look fantastic. You don't need custom resources you just need inagination and creativity, and of course learn a few extra skillss from programs like Photoshop or gimp.

This small Map took about 10-20 minutes of MV map editor time and about an hour(more or less) of Photoshop time. It's not amazing but it makes RTP way better.
    DD2pdCMVoAETSY-.jpg

dreamfall887, djDarkX, Sharm and 2 others like this.
  19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kuro DCupu and @Tuomo L I utterly fail to see what eating food from trash cans has to do with the OP's topic. Please do not derail the thread.

20. SJWebster

SJWebster Grumpy Old Git

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm in agreement with most people here. You can make a good game using the RTP, but by using the RTP you immediately reduce your chances of people playing it significantly.

I'll admit to being one of those snobs. I go into a project's thread or Steam page and if I see RTP in the screenshots, it immediately turns me off.

As mentioned, RPG Maker undeservedly has a bad reputation. RTP immediately identifies a project as an RPG Maker game and there goes the external audience. Those who hang out within the RPG Maker circles might be more lenient, but we still have our snobs.

For me, it implies a lack of effort. Dangerous statement to make, how very dare I, I get it. If you don't want to learn to do the artwork, get someone else in to help you. To give an example, in my own opinion I excel at artwork and mapping, however I have no musical ability and my JavaScript is very rusty. I've selectively bought appropriate music packs for my current project and I use scripts by Yanfly, Moghunter, SmRndmDde, and the other usual suspects to account for those shortcomings. I'll likely be paying someone to implement Steam achievements and the like further down the line.

Very few people can perform every role that game development requires of you, that's why people come together in the first place.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.