Can a RPGMaker game be good without custom resources?

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Oh dear. Conflating, deflating, what's an aged rpg maker to do?

The fact is that there are incredible books written with themes, tropes, common elements, whatever, and still they are incredible. The Harry Potter stuff comes to mind.

But go ahead, be an RTP snob. Granny will go on enjoying Ralph and all the others. (Although Ralph did take awhile, name-wise.)

I agree that lighting and such add tons, but perhaps that isn't technically "just" the RTP, and neither would "clumping" edits and such.

But if a great story can get past strings holding up the legs of the spider in an old horror movie, black and white film, stages with curtains in the background, puppets whose faces never change, marionettes with jointed limbs, and so many other creative outlets, certainly a well crafted digital story can get past some familiarity.

Plus, recolors.

Amy Pond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
I think the answer as with many things is that it's in the eye of the beholder. It's pointless asking if, on average, a game is good with just the RTP because there are too many variables, but just as many of those variables lie in the player themself.

Because they might know what the RTP is and never play a game with it. They might know the RTP and love it and only play games with it. They might not know nor care, but think it looks rubbish, or they might not know or care but think it really nostalgic.

Maybe they grew up with Final Fantasy VI. Maybe they grew up with Halo 3. It's subjective.

Judging a game as "good" or "bad" needs a judge, and if the scores they give games in magazines are anything to go by, those scores are hugely subjective. I find myself rarely agreeing with them!

I really enjoyed Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on Playstation. Nowadays it is remarked as one of the worst games ever made for graphics, gameplay, sound and just general bugs. But me and my friends played the heck out of this game. Try telling us while we were on heat that that was a bad game.

Subjectively and knowledgefully I see a lot of glaring "errors" in RPG Maker games that make me want to cry. But that's just based on my own learning and my own practices. Never put trees together in a line. Never have empty, square paths. Wait a second. How many people played the Pokemon games again? Exactly. The very things I find atrocious are present in some of the "best games" ever made and nobody bats an eyelid.

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aaaaalthough, the early Pokemon games have some of the laziest mapping ever... not to be taken as good mapping examples. That said, the maps weren't the point of 'em - they had a brilliant, totally new mechanic and that was what drove the game to its incredible success. Nobody batted an eyelid because the rest of the game was extremely awesome...

I'm of the same opinion as most others. Can you make a great RTP-only game? Absolutely. Will it kill your chances of sales? Absolutely. That said, I've played heavy-RTP games that I would say are really well done, even ones using almost exclusively the demo maps. If all the rest of it - the plot, the dialogue, the music, the delivery, the balance - is gripping enough, I'll absolutely forgive RTP stuff.

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say no. There are so many free resources to use you can have endless custom possibilities without any work. Assuming you follow the terms of the editors/creators as some don't want there resources in commercial games and such.

velan235

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
using RTP could be great , but the real problem with games created with RTP that I met is that it is coupled with bad mapping , weird dialogue, and 100% default of what RPGMAKER has to offer.

even at RM2K / 2K3 era , people still tried to add like custom menu / minigames / feature via eventing, but with RM VXA / MV take popularity , most of games with default RTP seems just insert original name and dialogue for the game, they didn't even bother to touch formula / class / exp curve / monster stats / add something new outside of what RM trailer shown

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it really depends on how the rtp is used. Rtp can be great if the game is put together well.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You would receive a lot of critique here, because everyone is jaded to the RTP graphics and style of gameplay, etc. However to an average person who probably has never seen the RTP it is totally fine. The question is more about your design and creativity more than the graphics at that point.

For the longest time I did not want to break out of the RTP and made really high quality maps with creative use of what was available. It is possible.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good games are good games. RTP looks great, and I'm far more interested in how you use it in a good way than "settling" for custom resources that make your game look much worse just for the sake of being custom. Heck, I'd much rather play a good classic RPG Maker game with even the RTP heroes like Harold than a fully custom one that isn't good.

I'm not saying custom resources are bad inherently, but there are many bad custom resources compared to how good the RTP is, and there's too much negative stigma around the RTP in this community. If the RTP fits your goals and helps you achieve making good games, then use it. Be creative with what you have. That's the essence of good game design.

Frozen_Phoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good? Yes.

It will be harder to sell, though.

If your goal is to make money, then investing in custom resources is a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i deleted anime only family guy from now on
I've discovered Stardew Valley and now I'm an addict. To think that one person designed this...
There a thread out there that tells us the best way to open an RPG that isn't 'the protag gets out of bed'?
Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosephTucker