Can any of you point out to me how autotiles in MV works in the simplest and easy-to-understand way as possible?

TenraiEmiko

Greatest Disciple of the Narukami
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While I have made some tiles for my previous game project using MV, they are not pretty good since many of the autotiles I made for that game project are pretty awkward (pretty looks like that I have used the copy / paste tool in any raster graphics editors to create looping tiles (the same with the YouTuber Thafnine pointed out about tiles in Corpse Party (original), one of the earliest RPG Maker games) (and unluckily, I also did that to my autotiles for that project)).

While I have found several analysis of how autotiles work in MV and MZ on the official RM page, it is still pretty confusing to me, albeit they stated straightforwardly that autotiles should be broken down to 24 x 24 cells instead of 48 x 48, a mistake that I have made while making autotiles for my previous project.

Can any of you give a more in-depth but easy-to-understand analysis of how autotiles work in MV? All of your help will be appreciated!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What's out-of-depth or hard to understand about Touchfuzzy's tutorials? It'll be hard to give you anything better without knowing what they failed to teach you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or to put it in another way: "simplest way" is not the same as "simple". There is a minimum complexity to autotiles that will never go away.

That said, you should consider each autotile to be a group of twenty different quartertiles of 24x24 pixels.
whenever the engine draws an autotile, it selects four of these twenty quartertiles to compose the tile it will draw from.
which of the twenty tiles it draws depends on the surrounding tiles - border tiles for those parts where there are no autotiles of the same type, inner tiles for the other places.

and because of this the quartertiles have to be drawn in a way that each of the inner borders fits to each other possible inner border that can be placed adjacent to that specific quartertile.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found this explanation + tutorial on auto-tiles by AmalgamAsh the simplest: :kaopride:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

More words of wisdom: Trying to make everyone happy will just make you miserable.
Ads: "Up to 90% off"
Reality: 9 items at 10% Off, one item at 90% off
if you were working on a rhythm-based retro fighting game, would you rather have the jumps take up two beats (one for jumping, one for landing) or just one?
Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking