RMMV Can I give Window_Help a different skin in-battle than it has in menus?

caseorogue

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been using SmRndmDude's Individual Skins for Windows plugin, and it's quite nice, but there is a problem that I just don't know how to get around: the same help window is shared between the main menu and battles. As such, I can't really split the window design between battle and menus without Window_Help clashing with one or the other.

If possible, is there some way I can give the window a different skin depending on whether a battle is in progress or not? Or, if that's not possible, is there some workaround that could achieve a similar effect?

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've been using SmRndmDude's Individual Skins for Windows plugin, and it's quite nice, but there is a problem that I just don't know how to get around: the same help window is shared between the main menu and battles. As such, I can't really split the window design between battle and menus without Window_Help clashing with one or the other.

If possible, is there some way I can give the window a different skin depending on whether a battle is in progress or not? Or, if that's not possible, is there some workaround that could achieve a similar effect?

Mine does this :)

1652935483301.png

Last edited:

caseorogue

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, thanks! This is just what I needed.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, thanks! This is just what I needed.
No prob. Glad to help out :cutesmile:

Hope it works exactly as you need. :cutesmile:
It's been a while since I used it myself, can't really remember too much about that one anymore lol

caseorogue

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No prob. Glad to help out :cutesmile:

Hope it works exactly as you need. :cutesmile:
It's been a while since I used it myself, can't really remember too much about that one anymore lol
Ah, unfortunately, no matter how much I try to get it working, the plugin doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried both the parameters route and the script route listed in the help file.
My last guess is maybe that the image file is formatted incorrectly, but considering it's just a clone of the original "window" file with a different border texture, I'm not sure what else I'd try.

Drakkonis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Short answer is, yes it's possible. Each scene contains its own instances of windows. Long answer is... you'd need a plugin. It sounds like SmRndmDude's plugin alters the help window prototype, and only the prototype, with no customization available for specific instances of that window. It's the simplest method, and generally sufficient.

As far as your issue with the plugin ct_bolt mentioned... if I recall correctly, the window skin doesn't really care much about the image itself, so long as it's a png and the right size. If you have the layout wrong, the game won't notice, but it will look REALLY weird.

Start with the obvious troubleshooting questions. Is the new plugin turned on? Did you try turning the old one off? (since both plugins seem to do the same thing, there may be overwrite conflicts) Have you tried the image in question with the old, for-sure working plugin? If it works there, the problem is not the image.

caseorogue

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Short answer is, yes it's possible. Each scene contains its own instances of windows. Long answer is... you'd need a plugin. It sounds like SmRndmDude's plugin alters the help window prototype, and only the prototype, with no customization available for specific instances of that window. It's the simplest method, and generally sufficient.

As far as your issue with the plugin ct_bolt mentioned... if I recall correctly, the window skin doesn't really care much about the image itself, so long as it's a png and the right size. If you have the layout wrong, the game won't notice, but it will look REALLY weird.

Start with the obvious troubleshooting questions. Is the new plugin turned on? Did you try turning the old one off? (since both plugins seem to do the same thing, there may be overwrite conflicts) Have you tried the image in question with the old, for-sure working plugin? If it works there, the problem is not the image.
Going down the list:
I've ensured the plugin is turned on, and made sure SmRndmDude's plugin is off to avoid conflicts. I've also tried moving Bolt's plugin to the top of the plugin list to see if that helped. No effect in any case. Window_Help continues to show the global windowskin.

The windowskin I'm trying to apply worked fine when used with SmRndmDude's plugin, so there doesn't seem to be any kind of inherent issue with the image.

I've also tried applying multiple different windowskins using Bolt's plugin, and to multiple different windows, but none of these attempts worked, either. And, as I said above, I also tried using scripts to change the windowskins in-game as detailed in the help file, but this didn't work either.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, unfortunately, no matter how much I try to get it working, the plugin doesn't seem to do anything.

Woops I left a flaw in the design that caused the plugin not to work at all. :blush:
It's not really an "error" but still... I have now fixed it.

Basically if all the parameters were not set the plugin just didn't work.

Like all the settings (font, tone, arrows, ex) needed to be at least set or clicked on, even if left at defaults.

Sorry about that... should be fixed now ;)

PS. Sorry for the delay (I wasn't notified further to posts on this thread)
Redownload and see if that works for ya.

Last edited:

caseorogue

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh my I left a flaw in the design that caused the plugin not to work at all.
It's not really an "error" but still... I have now fixed it.

Basically if all the parameters were not set the plugin just didn't work.

Like all the settings (font, tone, arrows, ex) needed to be at least set or clicked on, even if left at defaults.

Sorry about that... should be fixed now ;)

PS. Sorry for the delay (I wasn't notified further to posts on this thread)
Redownload and see if that works for ya.
This version worked perfectly! Thanks a ton for taking the time to patch it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After a little test with the parallax mapping, found it lags like a cat on a leash. Instead of the original idea to parallax map the entirety of the ship, I guess I'll settle for editing the tilesets. Probably should have done that first. :kaosigh:
So I kinda came back and learned how to mod other RPG Maker games so... Hello everyone!
Captura-de-pantalla-475.png
Version 1.0.1 done! Now finally free time... oh
Capture.PNG
I'm Really proud of how my game over screen looks!
UldJFr1.png
I felt inspired by a piece of art I saw. So I made this.

Wanderer Doge.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brideinmydreams