Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I want to be able to controll the flow of a conversation based on what triggers have been activated.
I don't want to use a self trigger that simply repeats dialogue in order.
I want to create a sort of IF THEN structure to the text flow based on what event triggers have been activated in different locations.

Is this possible? I googles but couldn't find ant tutorials for what I wanted.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no - and it would not make any sense anyway.

what you do is control your dialoges with if/then based on switches or variables, and set those switches and variables depending on whatever you want.

EDIT: from the way you talk about triggers in different locations, you might simply have confused terminology.
triggers are what activates events, but they are never stored. if you want to remember something in a different location, you'll have that event set switches or variables instead.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yeh, I simply ment an event trigger, so yes switches in RPG maker terms. I found this under 'conditional branch'

I'm just starting with this. Is there a manual for the GUI interface, and a good introduction to what can be done with scripting?

Last edited:

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a manual?

Actually, there is. If you're just starting out, I would very strongly suggest going through the tutorial in the editor itself. It covers the use of switches, variables, conditionals, and a lot of other things you're going to need. What you're wanting to do is actually really basic, so try the tutorials and play around a little and let us know if you get stuck once you have a better grasp of the engine.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
XP doesn't have an in-editor tutorial like the later engines do--it does have a manual, but it's dry enough to make the Sahara look like a rainforest. Great for reference or looking up specific things, less great for reading straight through.

Trihan has a Slip into Ruby tutorial series, though I don't know if it's tailored more toward RGSS2/3 (VX/A) than RGSS1 (XP). There's also the RMXP Tutorial Forum, but a lot of the images in the tutorials are broken.

There are all kinds of tutorials available on the RPG Maker Web blog as well--they're written for MZ, but the concepts generally translate backward pretty well.

If you want tutorials on the very basics of RMXP, I've written (but not published) mapping and eventing tutorials. I'm happy to provide them on request, if that's what you're looking for!

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
XP doesn't have an in-editor tutorial like the later engines do--it does have a manual, but it's dry enough to make the Sahara look like a rainforest. Great for reference or looking up specific things, less great for reading straight through.
d'oh...I knew that...thanks for catching that :D

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

I got the Steam version and didn't notice a separate manual. If you are talking about the help option in the title bar this has minimal information for some things, at best, so I'm spending more time trying to scrape information from the web than I am implementing it into a 'game' test program.

Dry is normally OK if it's a compitent guide, I was a VB and C# .Net programmer for over a decade so 'Dry' dosn't even begin to cover the manuals I've read for those! It's really just what is available and where it is / what's it called that I need.

I am planning on getting into the Ruby Scripting, but I can probably learn anything I need to know about the actual syntax of Ruby fairly easily. I picked up Lua easily within a couple of days when I learned that for a couple of other makers.

I mostly just like playing around with makers to see what they can do rather than for the making of games.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RMXP is extremely old and as such missing a lot of refurbishments that have been made in the time since. I think 18 years old or so.

For a long time RMXP had been considered an alternative because of one feature that was removed by the next maker, the manual layer control. But that feater has been reintroduced by the latest maker two years ago (RMMZ), so the only reason left to stay with RMXP is either the graphics (non-chibi) or the price (especially on a sale).

you can find links to ruby tutorials in the appropiate old sections of the forum, but you should be warned that RMXP is considered very difficult to script for due to it being the first maker with RGSS and a less than distinguished script environment.

If you really need to get into learning from start, then I suggest you at least consider using RMMZ - there is a free trial to experiment and check it, it uses javascript and the entire program structure is better defined than in RMXP - not to mention better documentation and the build-in tutorial and so on.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I was referring to the Help files, yes! I believe you can press F1 to open them, or go to Help in the menu bar--I don't recall offhand what the menu calls it. I thought there was a section of those dedicated to learning Ruby, but it's been a while since I opened them, and I'm not at my computer at the moment to check.

If you're looking for information on the editor (like I thought you were from your first post?), the "What's This?" tooltips are surprisingly good. Right click almost anything to get the "What's This?" option.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thanks, I've pretty much got the hang of conditional branches with triggers and variables etc now.
I have looked at a couple of newer versions, but I like the style of the XP version, reminds me of the old RPG game I used to play way back when.

I generally like seeing what I can push out of old hardware/software more than using modern stuff. Compared to a lot of the things I work with RGP Maker XP is cutting edge :wink:

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Ruby:
class SomeClass
  def some_method(x, y, z)
    print x, y, z
  end
end

array = [1, 2, 3]
sc = SomeClass.new
sc.some_method(*array)

...and it will print the whole array as if you had passed all 3 arguments manually!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_6_24_2022_9_20_7.png
Here's Mike when you get a preemptive strike in battle. There's another one for when an enemy sneaks up on you too.
Suddenly, games mean nothing. The money spent was worth it to bring souls towards the light of life. May God bless my path forever. I pray that all are shaken for truth and poured out flat on the table of true understanding, knowledge, and wisdom. Bless you.
Finally I bought OMORI...cant wait to get traumatised!!!
Finished making this pretty ambitious forest map. Was wondering what y'all think of it! :kaopride:
1656136876015.png
All this anger everywhere,Who's happy but me?
Seems to be all the people that don't follow Jesus wholeheartedly. My smile might burn you ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dthwithdoom