Can I turn older Version game into a project.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey people,

Firstly, I want everything to stay legal. So if I'm doing or did something illegal already I would be happy about a heads up and I also don't want illegal solutions.
what my problem is: I want to take over the development of a game and different issues with different cases.
I have an older version of a game and a newer version as a project, but I don't like some changes in the newer version. So I formatted the older folder into project form1594762115488.png.
I replaced the package.json file with one of a newly created project.
When I open the project now with the editor nothing can be seen image and sound wise but I can playtest it.
Case 1: Can I do something to turn this into a project? I could also try to contact the developer of the older version, which proved to be difficult in the past.

When I replace the crypted files with decrypted ones and open it, I can access everything in the editor, but if I want to playtest it the first thing it tells me is this:
1594762855728.png
If I add the crypted file into that folder, it just moves on to the next file which is Baloon.png.
Case 2: Do I have to replace a specific file maybe? Or does anybody has a solution?

When I add the decrypted files (audio and img) and open it, I can access everything and playtest it, too.
Case 3: Can anybody tell me if I can move on with this folder, without hitting some obvious problems like for example "I'm not able to deploy" or "The deployed folder is gigantic" or something.

I'm also thinking about starting a new project, copying the maps into that and building the working system up, which I had planned anyways but by replacing it bit by bit. If I have to do this I'll have to build the system first, before I can show anything. Otherwise I could've put in a bit of content and still could work on replacing the system.

Thanks in beforehand

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) if the project was done by someone else, you'll need the explicit written permission from that someone before you can legally edit it in any way.

2) from your description I assume that the older version is an encrypted one. you cannot break that encryption yourself without becoming illegal, but you can send the encrypted version with proof of your permissions or ownership to Degica (more precisely to Archeia) to have it unencrypted for you.

EDIT:
3) If the project uses any shop resource and was not done by yourself, you'll need to purchase those shop resources for yourself to be able to use them.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: Forgot the most important. Thank you for the answer :)

1.1) Is that still true if the game turned into an open source thing at some point, but project version got not updated?
1.2) What is an explicit written permission? Is it a mail, a message in a forum where it is distributed by the developer or does it have to be a letter with all the trimmings?
1.3) Who and how can I or anybody check who is allowed to give that permission?
1.4) What happens in the case of an illegally (without that e.w.p.) further developed version? Do I have to ignore that it exists?

2) Ok. Nice. But I need the e.w.p. for that, right? I'll keep this in mind

3) Thought so. But I got curious though. If a group of developers develops a game they all need to buy the used ressources? If somebody thinks my curiousity could turn into more than just a answer pm me, open another thread while linking me or ignore pls.

4) I'm pretty sure that I have at least the permission to work on it not on a legal basis (if a forum post is enough I could maybe find it somewhere). So if the owner doesn't complain, could I get a problem? This might be a question for a lawyer maybe but asking doesnt hurt.

4.1) Another question which doesn't hurt to ask. If I build a new game with the same name and maybe has here and there some similarities would that also be a problem?

Dororo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
4.1) Another question which doesn't hurt to ask. If I build a new game with the same name and maybe has here and there some similarities would that also be a problem?
"Hey, look, my SUPER MARIO BROS GAME got pink pants for Mario, is not the same game, you will not pursue me, right?"

They can pursue you even if it doesn't share any similarity, just 'cause is a videogame and have the same name.
Obviously the more the company is aggressive, the more the chance of being pursued rise (anyway, if you call your game the same as a running game with a follow, the chance your mod will be found online by any player is TOTALLY ZERO - the original game have preminence, so why do it?!).

Last edited:

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My question is more like is that seen as a decryption attempt or not from degicas side or not?

To get to your comment. There are some differences
Your example is a trademark while mine is the name of a hobby developer, who also let alone being similar doesn't care what happens to his actual original game.
I said that I don't fear the developers for pursuing because they don't actually care but other people or degica.
The game in question is dead and I want to take it over not make a mod of it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nothing like that matters.

for a legal continuation you'll need an official licence from the original creator to continue.
and Degica will only help with decrypting if you have legal access.

If you can't get the original developer to give you that licence then you cannot legally take over.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nothing like that matters.
Is this an answer to this
My question is more like is that seen as a decryption attempt or not from degicas side or not?

To get to your comment. There are some differences
Your example is a trademark while mine is the name of a hobby developer, who also let alone being similar doesn't care what happens to his actual original game.
I said that I don't fear the developers for pursuing because they don't actually care but other people or degica.
The game in question is dead and I want to take it over not make a mod of it.
or this

EDIT: Forgot the most important. Thank you for the answer :)

1.1) Is that still true if the game turned into an open source thing at some point, but project version got not updated?
1.2) What is an explicit written permission? Is it a mail, a message in a forum where it is distributed by the developer or does it have to be a letter with all the trimmings?
1.3) Who and how can I or anybody check who is allowed to give that permission?
1.4) What happens in the case of an illegally (without that e.w.p.) further developed version? Do I have to ignore that it exists?

2) Ok. Nice. But I need the e.w.p. for that, right? I'll keep this in mind

3) Thought so. But I got curious though. If a group of developers develops a game they all need to buy the used ressources? If somebody thinks my curiousity could turn into more than just a answer pm me, open another thread while linking me or ignore pls.

4) I'm pretty sure that I have at least the permission to work on it not on a legal basis (if a forum post is enough I could maybe find it somewhere). So if the owner doesn't complain, could I get a problem? This might be a question for a lawyer maybe but asking doesnt hurt.

for a legal continuation you'll need an official licence from the original creator to continue.
and Degica will only help with decrypting if you have legal access.

If you can't get the original developer to give you that licence then you cannot legally take over.
Does this mean Degica doesn't care as long as you don't ask them to decrypt something?
How does anybody control who the original developer is? Myself to know who to ask and degica to check the authenticity.
What kinda info do you need so it's sufficient as a license? Is it a forum post, some kinda personal message, a mail or something else?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The thing is, only the original owner can give permission to have a game decrypted. What you want to do with that does not matter at all. If you make an unauthorized edit to it, they can DMCA you and you can be fined (depending on what country you live in). Just because some people do it elsewhere doesn't make it legal.

Since we are a corporate forum Degica has to follow all corporate laws and that includes copywrite law, which means no, they cannot help you decrypt it, period. To do so would violate copywrite law.

Also even if the game is dead, that means nothing with copywrite law. There was a Kings Quest fan game that got struck by the law when the IP changed hands and the new holders didn't want the fan game out there anymore. So the author could decide later they want it removed, or they could sell it to someone else who no longer wants the fan game.

Basically you need to talk to the original dev. Nothing else will make your attempts legal or valid. And we cannot support any attempts to do it any other way.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not asking to support me in my attempts but for knowledge.
Maybe I should've also updated my situation. Just recently (after opening this post) I got a folder, which never got encrypted in the first place, from the former developer who got a project folder of an older version from the original developer. So decryption is not really a problem anymore.
I know what the 2nd devs opinion is (and could get maybe something from them) but I don't have anything from the original developer except for what the 2nd dev said they said.

I know things commonly known and some things not so commonly known, but I almost have no knowledge about software and licensing. So

In my knowledge they both want the game to be further developed by anybody who's up to the task, but what kinda approval (forum post? Personal message? Mail? something else?) do I need so that I have legally the permission?

And let's say the dev I think is the original is just dev #2. How can I check that he is the original?
I don't want to work my hind of to be at the end at point zero again.

Also can only the owner DMCA me?
Let's say I breach the copywrite law. Can anybody sue me or still only the owner/s?

I have further questions but I'll skip those or I fear this won't end in the near future and I don't want to further burden anyone else with this.

By the way thank you all for taking your time and answering my questions.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the original dev wants someone to continue with the game, just get them to send you an email saying they are the original dev and they are happy for you to continue working on it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What Shaz said. Just get it in writing. That will cover you then.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So an email from a maybe random guy saying "I'm the original developer and I give my permission" is enough?
I'm not asking because I'm planing something like that but this getting an email thing sounds strange but if that is how things work OK.
Like this I can work on it while trying to contact the original dev because it looks like he disappeared or something.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So an email from a maybe random guy saying "I'm the original developer and I give my permission" is enough?
it cannot be from a random guy, it has to be from the original developer.
That is a legal distinction, and the only one that is important here.

Which means the project needs to have some way to identify the original developer (usually the name) and it has to be provable that the person who gives the email is indeed that original developer and not someone who stole or ripped the data.

If the project doesn't have any name in it as to who the original developer was and there are no remaining traces for it on the internet, then you basically cannot legally continue it.
And you should not trust a random guy who claims that because if that claim is wrong you have no guarantee that the person claiming it even knows if the project has used only legal resources.

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say this thread got a little bit out of topic. I think I'll open another thread where I ask the following, too:

I got into contact with the original developer who made the game from zero on a forum and asked him in a pm for permission and got it. Also I found the forum post where the game got distributed the very first time. This developer handed the game over to another developer who I contacted at discord and asked for permission, which I got including a project folder.
So would that be enough as a permission or do I have to do something else, too?

Thank you all ;D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that would be enough permission, but I strongly suggest you save the messages somewhere.
If they get accidentally deleted you would not be able to provide proof of permission later.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yeah I would make sure to get things on paper if possible at the very least Saved copies(and maybe give a copy of those copies to someone you trust?)

Last thing you want is a 'he said, she said, they said, who can say' argument/claim to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhengdddddd