KamiSawZe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Backstory that's not important to the question, but I feel like venting:

So I've put my fantasy dungeon crawler on the back burner since it was a larger undertaking than I intended for a "first published" project.  I love map building because I enjoy exploring, but I'm not a huge fan of RPG combat so when it comes to balancing fights I feel like I need to call in my dungeon master friends.  So this new project is fairly small, and it's more of an adventure game so it's about exploring and finding items and will have zero combat.  It all takes place in one building, and uses the Pop! Horror City DLC and I'm trying my best to use no custom graphics.  I'll probably just end up doing my own music and making a splash screen.  When the game is complete I'd like to release it for free on PC/OSX, maybe release it for 99¢ on iOS and Android if the reception is good.

Here's a little taste:

gn1.png

I own RMMV and the Pop! Horror City DLC through Steam.  I am currently using the Steam workshop (but with hidden privacy) to back up my work and so I can work on it from my laptop, my wife's laptop, and my work computer (on breaks of course) without transferring files to a flash drive.  I know that the DLC EULA requires that the resources be encrypted.  If I understand EULA and how the workshop works, then I'm not allowed to share this game publicly unless I deploy and encrypt the game so the PHC resources are hidden, correct?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is correct.

KamiSawZe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you @ksjp17.  Really unfortunate that there isn't a way to set "required DLC" on a project so it can be shared with at least people who have that DLC. Means I'll have to deploy any time I want to share with testers. Oh well. 

EDIT

I discovered there is a way to set "Required DLC" in the Steam Workshop.  However, I don't know if this means people who have RMMV but not the DLC can't subscribe to the game, or if it will let them download anyway with a note that it requires the DLC...  It would be great if it restricts it to people who own the DLC because I think that would legally allow me publish it through the workshop publicly...  Unfortunately I can't test it since I own the DLC.  Anyone want to add me on Steam who doesn't have the mod for testing purposes?  I suppose I could make it legally "kosher" by buying the DLC for that person afterwards so they aren't breaking the rules by "pirating" the DLC through the subscription.

Last edited by a moderator:

KamiSawZe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
BUMP?

I guess I'm allowed to bump?  I didn't see anything about it in the rules, and the forum layout confuses me a little.  I didn't see this question float to the top after the edit, so I'm thinking that it only goes to the recently updated listing if there's a new post...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, you can bump if more than 72 hours have passed since the last post.

and that is a question that only Degica can answer, so @Lunarea?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
EULA states that the project must be encrypted. :)

Thank you for reporting the possibility with the "required DLC". We will look into it in the future. If it is a viable solution, the EULA/rules will be amended to add that in.

In the meantime, please do follow the EULA and do not share any un-encrypted projects through the workshop.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With a "required DLC" though, wouldn't the person testing/playing the game have to import the DLC to be able to play? Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but I'm not going to want to do that to play or test a game. Also, a lot of people rearrange or edit tilesets. I know I would not be able to have others do that because I move things in the tileset or edit them to my needs. So my POP! tileset would not be the same as it is sold, therefore maps and such would be messed up for the player.

KamiSawZe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you @Lunarea, my goal is definitely to follow the EULA.  I think it would be cool to use that DLC option to allow more sharing in the community while protecting artists' rights.

@mlogan, I see what you're getting at.  My thought for the "required DLC" was that it would still use the same upload/download of resources that the workshop does anyway, but it would restrict it to players who own the DLC so they already own a license to use Pop! stuff. 

KamiSawZe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a related question, or possibly a glitch report... I deployed an encrypted package of my game for some friends to test. In OSX, you can easily dive into programs by right-clicking and "Show Package Contents". I noticed that the font, loading image, and window graphics were not encrypted, but all other system graphics were (and all faces/tiles/etc. were encrypted too). I figured that the font and loading image (which isn't even a Pop! resource) needed to be left unencrypted so they work before the unencryption code kicks in, but with window.png and the font so easy to access, isn't it breaking the EULA to use RMMV's standard encryption?

KamiSawZe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump for legal advice.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
New question, new thread. It isn't helpful for anyone to bundle different questions together.
Please start a new thread - which would allow you to have a topic title that describes your current query. As your original question has been answered, I'm going to close this

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Helldivers is so much fun!
Suitemate: "Do you have detergent"
Me: "Ya, the spray kind"
Me: *realizes he said detergent, not deodorant*
Me: "Guess I'll die!"
If there's one thing I hate about myself, it's that I procrastinate. Ever since I started looking stuff up on how to properly balance and create armour, weapons and skills; I've let myself down in progress.
So I was at the dentist yesterday and she said,"I'm gonna propose to Dr. Anderson...(Then she paused as she thought what to say). And I said,"I think he is a little old for you." She laughed good naturedly. Then she jabbed sharp things in my mouth for the next 3 hours.
Update on my experiment with uploading my Android games to the Amazon app store: made about $45 in 2 months, but 0 sales for the past 3 weeks. Not sure its worth the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunairesol