Can I use Gimp to transform images into usable tiles in MZ?

Nereid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
none
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How, if so? Something to do with the grid?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
any image program can be used to create tiles.
the difference is just how much experience you have with using the program and what tiles you want to create.

The grid itself is a tool that can help with positioning tiles into a tilesheet. It will not help you draw them unless you know exactly what you're doing.
That means it will help enormously if you already have existing tiles, but not if the tiles are not yet there.

for more detailed answers we would need more info on what tiles you want to create.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes. Just need to set your grid to the tile size used in MZ, which is 48x48, I believe. There's also a correct layout for tiles, so probably best to take a sheet from the default assets, load it up in GIMP, clear it, and use that as your base. You'll know if you've screwed up because things won't be laid out correctly in the editor, and stuff you place won't appear when you playtest; at least that's what I've experienced in the past.

Autotiles and what not have their own rules which I'm not sure about.

Lunesis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How, if so? Something to do with the grid?
Tiles are 48x48, and each 'character' takes up a 3x4 spot (3 frames x 4 directions), with 8 total spots. Standard spite sheet is 576x384. In GIMP you go into Image > Configure Grid and set it to 48 x 48. Then in the View menu enable Show Grid and Snap to Grid.

But it depends what you're talking about. Mapping tilesets and battler images are setup up differently.

Attachments

• Monster.png
    Monster.png
    49 KB · Views: 5

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tiles are 48x48, and each 'character' takes up a 3x4 spot (3 frames x 4 directions), with 8 total spots.
you've mistaken tiles for sprites, those are completely different things.

the grid is 48x48
tiles can be between 48x48 and up to 96x144 for regular autotiles and are organisted in tilesheets with up to hundreds of tiles.
sprites have no fixed size (just look at the bigmonster or bigdoor sprites) and are organised in 3x4 or 12x8 cells.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am working a lot with Gimp for image transformation and changing tiles, icons, whatever.
If you specify a bit more in details what kind of tiles you want to create I could provide more info.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
I recommend you to read this tutorial. This will work with anything concerning autotiling and if you don't know what that is, this is a perfect chance to learn what it is and how to make it work.

Autotile tutorial

@Shaz: I completely forgot to add it :aswt:

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Thank you.

@Bandito should there be a link in that post?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember when people had the ability to have meaningful conversations on platforms like twitter or facebook? Good times... Nowadays is absolute crap.
All aboard the Advent calendar train, riding Avery's coattails as an excuse to make more sprites. ;)
Advent2021-01.gif

Get 'em in my thread in General Resources.
I had a dream where it was Friday, and what happened in the dream was irrelevant, because I woke up and it's not Friday, so I'm sad.
edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojojojojkk