Can I use my own rpg game on a website?

Danitsu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Hi,

Im new on this, and I want to know if I create my own rpg game it could be posible to add this game on a website?.

Thanks!

Hope I write this post in a correct part.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, that is what the HTML5 export is about.

However, you need access to a website to put it up there, which usually requires monthly payments to keep the website.

And you have to watch the traffic cost unless you're using one of the more expensive sites with unlimited traffic.

Free webhosting usually has limits that will shut down your game if they're exceeded...

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes you can. I suggest when it comes to that you place all the assets into a protected read only folder :D

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes you can. I suggest when it comes to that you place all the assets into a protected read only folder :D
Without server-side scripting, there's no way to write to a web folder anyway. What would protecting the folder by setting it to read only do?

DarknessFalls

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Without server-side scripting, there's no way to write to a web folder anyway. What would protecting the folder by setting it to read only do?

now now ... You don't need server side scripting silly. set the permissions such that its only readable. Also place a blank index.html file in the folder as it will show nothing should the user manager to view it silly goose.

Danitsu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Thank you !

I have another question, sorry for making so much.

In a battle system i can create my own questions and when someone answer it correctly they can get a power to hit the opponent?

Thanks so much !

DarknessFalls

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you !

I have another question, sorry for making so much.

In a battle system i can create my own questions and when someone answer it correctly they can get a power to hit the opponent?

Thanks so much !
That might require some scripting or eventing  (not sure which it sounds like you could do it with events) on a specific enemy.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
now now ... You don't need server side scripting silly. set the permissions such that its only readable. Also place a blank index.html file in the folder as it will show nothing should the user manager to view it silly goose.
could you explain that more...? If the game is HTML5, thus I need to point my web browser to a URL, how would I be able to upload a file to the folder without a server accepting and saving that file?

DarknessFalls

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
could you explain that more...? If the game is HTML5, thus I need to point my web browser to a URL, how would I be able to upload a file to the folder without a server accepting and saving that file?

your initial comment stated nothing about that :p  FTP to upload.

Heres the app structure once you have uploaded all your jazz:

html file // users navigates here assets folder (permissions, something like 644 or something will do)  blank index.html any assets the html file above will useas for uploading, you should be able to upload via FTP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
your initial comment stated nothing about that :p  FTP to upload.

Heres the app structure once you have uploaded all your jazz:

html file // users navigates here assets folder (permissions, something like 644 or something will do)  blank index.html any assets the html file above will useas for uploading, you should be able to upload via FTP.
...well the simple solution would be to not allow anonymous FTP connections. Require authentication for it.

I understand the structure of the game, I've been playing with it for a while now, but I'm still generally confused as to why you said they should put their game in a read-only folder. There would be extremely little point in the developer allowing general users access to the website via FTP. The OP was asking if they could put their website on a website, I'm assuming much like the demo is, and your first comment mentioned a read-only folder, so I was confused as to where that came from. Uploading the game to a website, in my opinion, implies that the end-user doesn't have write-access to the server's files.

DarknessFalls

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
...well the simple solution would be to not allow anonymous FTP connections. Require authentication for it.
no one but you should have access to ftp ...

Any ways this whole convo is really off topic. I think the OP questions have been answered if not feel free to comment OP. Ill do my best to help you out :DDDDDD

Danitsu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Thanks so much everyone, Darkness i will like to know if there is some tutorial or something where i can read about what you told me. I will send you a message. 

Thanks !

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Bluh... glad this present heatwave is coming to a close...
Look what I found, it was my first ABS.

This project was never completed because I had lost the computer where it was stored.
Character Creator for RPGM 2000, VX, XP, & LPC Style Sprites | RPG Maker News #72

Is there any way to get more than 8 enemies in a troop in RMMV or is that limit pretty much hardcoded into the engine?
Stream will be live shortly with some game development! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yorshka