Can I use RPGMaker Assets in Unity3D legally?

mwmdragon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've purchased RPGMaker VX and a bunch of asset bundles but I want to use the 2D assets in a game I'm making in Unity... can we use these assets in other engine legally?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Generally, no, but there are some exceptions, so read on ...

The assets that come bundled with RPG Maker (any version) or IG Maker or Game Character Hub can absolutely not be used in any other engine, even if they are edited, and no matter how much editing is done. They are for use in RPG Maker / IG Maker / GCH only.

SOME packs are able to be used in other engines. These are listed on the store page through Products > Resources > Non-RM. ONLY products listed on that page and purchased for the price shown there (which is higher than the price for use in RPG Maker) can be used in other engines. If it's not on that page, or it is on that page but you bought it from the other link for the lower RM-use price, you cannot use it in other engines.

Hope this clears it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

mwmdragon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But the product "Game Character Hub" is available on steam and says that it works with RPGMaker, it doesn't say "Only With" have I missed something?

EDIT: Found the answer in the description...

Game Character Hub is the ultimate program for creating and editing 2D game assets. It provides a built-in generator for character and tileset creation. While the program was made to be compatible with RPG Maker XP, VX and VX Ace, the elements found in the program should work with other 2D game engines as well. RPG Maker assets are for RPG Maker use only.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
The items GCH currently have are RPG Maker RTP which still follows the RPG Maker EULA.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The way I read that is you can use Game Character Hub to make sprites that do *not* use the RTP and use those sprites legally, but you cannot use the RTP items legally.

mwmdragon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the insight :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Besides the non-RM cathegory, there are some other store packs that can be used outside RM (because they don't use RTP and have been cleared for outside use by the artist.

See this for details:

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tips-and-tricks/what-can-i-do-with-my-dlc/

It is an older blog, for resources not listed there you better assume no outside use.

mwmdragon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow that helped a lot.. and saved the sale I was going to not make, because of usage rights. Sale Completed! Thanks.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So all the music packs are open to non-RM use?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't say that automatically - at the time the blog post was written that was true, but I can't say if that remained true for later music packs, and as Luna mentioned she's in the process of rewriting the licences into something easier to understand. That might chance the licence even for older packs.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OK. Some clarity would definitely be appreciated. :)

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On Steam they said Grafics Packs only for RPG Maker (If you didnt bought a NON RM License on the Webside).

And the Music Packs they said we can use them were we want. If that has changed or is to be changed i have fellow feeling with everyone

allready bought Music DLC for purpose of use outside of RM.

Edit: As far as i know there is only a NON RM License for Celianas Futuristic Tiles Available.I can recoment that one.

Just cost 80€.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I can see, music packs are either RM, Non-RM or both.  In the Non-RM section, there are music packs, so might wanna check that out.

I can tell you right now, the RPG Maker XP Remastered OST is NOT Non-RM.  It's tied to RM completely seeing as it uses XP music, which is also tied to any RM program (assuming to own anything other than XP) and RPG Maker 3's music is exclusive to RM, so unless it's listed in in the Non-RM section, it's pretty much RM only.

I'll see if I can get an official word from Archeia on this (pertaining to the other packs).

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Unless it's stated that it's non-rm, all resource packs are for RPG Maker Only. The EULA states it.

I do know that music packs (unless labelled as RPG Maker) are a lot less strict about it, but you might want to check with @Lunarea.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I'm assuming most of them aren't non-RM, but after that one blog post I just wanted to make sure. If they CAN be used non-RM, then I'm going to happily snap up several of them for a Unity project I'm working on (I've already paid $2000 for an OST for my RM project, I'm good there :p ).

Dillybob

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Generally, no, but there are some exceptions, so read on ...

The assets that come bundled with RPG Maker (any version) or IG Maker or Game Character Hub can absolutely not be used in any other engine, even if they are edited, and no matter how much editing is done. They are for use in RPG Maker / IG Maker / GCH only.

SOME packs are able to be used in other engines. These are listed on the store page through Products > Resources > Non-RM. ONLY products listed on that page and purchased for the price shown there (which is higher than the price for use in RPG Maker) can be used in other engines. If it's not on that page, or it is on that page but you bought it from the other link for the lower RM-use price, you cannot use it in other engines.

Hope this clears it up.
Hey, I am extremely sorry to necro this post but I have the same question as the OP.

And, the 'NON-RM' link is now gone 

And I was going to buy this pack:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/pvg-sci-fi-tiles

And want to use it within my action rpg browser based game. I looked over at the license page and couldn't find anything and I'm still worried and when I'm worried it most likely means I shouldn't :p .  So maybe you can clarify! Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay so now you can prepend a JS library to your Haxe plugin. You can also prepend your attribution information to every compiled plugin.

:3c here's a thing i made a while while while back
Tried mochi for the first time. It's quite nice. Has a pleasant smell and taste, and is nice and chewy.
made a bio for the protag in my project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperYao