Can People Make Paid Online Tutorials...?

Fubukio

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure how strict RPG Maker policy is right now. I'm wondering if people can make paid online tutorials on how to use RPG Maker MV, like on sites like Udemy...

I'm not making any, but I'm hoping for someone to make one someday if possible...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We're in the process of making some, but they will be free.

I expect there may be terms-of-use issues with paid tutorials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you do, they'll have to be significantly better than all the 'free' ones that will inevitably come out in the next few months. That's the major hurdle I see for something like this - I'm not 'philosophically' opposed to the idea at all, some high budget tutorials would be great. Also consider though - people are only spending $80 for the engine itself. How much more are they going to be willing to spend for something to teach them how to use it? Raise the total cost of ownership enough and suddenly other engines start looking very inviting.

jet_black

Hopeless & Hardboiled
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I don´t think there may be terms-of-use issues with paid tutorials.

You can offer paid courses for everything and every software. Adobe Software, Unity, Construct 2, etc.

Why should people spend money on paid courses? Thats easy. Because you have lots of different lessons gathered into one course. I have seen loooots of tutorials that were really good, but they annoyed me, because they had many split parts and were not well presented. It either lacked audio, or the voice was recorded via headset with a 6-year old Counterstrike gaming-kiddy as speaker. 

On Udemy, you can have it well and nicely collected and you really have different chapters with different lessons. It´s videos with subtitles which you can also download. You can watch, listen and try for yourself. Often the teachers also provide working material. Selfmade lesson summaries, charts, project files and stuff like that. If you have problems, you can post in the course dashboard and you´ll get a reply from the teacher very fast.

There are also lessons added, after you joined.

I did lots of courses on Udemy (also on topics where you could find several free tutorials) and really think that is the best way to learn (besides Video-Trainings in your native language). I used makers since the maker 2003, right now I am learning JavaScript and for the future, I am planning on doing a RPG Maker Udemy course.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There MAY be issues with paid tutorials.  The RMMV terms of use allow using the resources to make a game.  You are allowed to sell that game.

The same terms of use do NOT allow you to use those resources for any other purpose.

I'm not saying you CAN'T use them - I'm saying to CHECK if you CAN, especially if you're going to be making money on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A wave of cold air has hit Canada... I know it's "always cold", but this one is especially cold... I'm freezing to death lol.
Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VampKiryu