Can too many Parrarel Events cause the game to freeze?

Nilom

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try another converter/site.

Sakurra

Is probably eating a brownie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know another site. :(

Nilom

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There should be pretty many sites like this. Uncle Google should be able to help you. :biggrin:

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you do still want to keep the berry growth parallel process, here's how I'd recommend setting it up:

In total, you'll need 1 common event, and as many variables as you have berry bushes.

Firstly, the bush itself. Create an event, and call it bush1. The bush event will need 2 event pages.
The first page is the harvest-able bush. Set the event to give you the berries, and set the Bush1 variable equil to 30.
For the second page, set the event condition to variable Bush1 is greater than 0. This is the empty bush.

Lastly, for the common event itself. Make the common event a parallel process. Set a wait command for 600 frames (10 seconds). After that, have all the bush variables decrease by 1.

And there you have it! Each berry bush can now be harvested 300 seconds (with at most 10 seconds of inaccuracy) after they are harvested. The wait commands in the common event aren't necessarily needed, but it keeps the parallel process from running too often.
Note: I am in the middle of making my post and accidently hit enter, I'm not done typing out
Note 2: I think I've finished my post now.

1 year later

I now understand more about Rpg Maker and this now makes sense. I'm testing this out right now but I have a question.

If the variable is set to 30 from after picking the berry bush on page 1, but on page 2 has a page condition where variable is greater than or equal to 0, doesn't page two take priority?

The event works but the berry bush never shows because page two has a condition of greater than or equal to 0. The page condition isn't greater than, it is greater than or equal too, that I've noticed.

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I now understand more about Rpg Maker and this now makes sense. I'm testing this out right now but I have a question.
Hey, and no problem. I put together a little demo to double check what I had suggested a year back, and with a slight tweak, I think I have something that should work for you.

I've left some comments in the project that should help you out, but if you're not sure about something, just let me know.

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bush event will need 2 event pages.
The first page is the harvest-able bush. Set the event to give you the berries, and set the Bush1 variable equil to 30.
For the second page, set the event condition to variable Bush1 is greater than 0. This is the empty bush.
You didn't have to go through the trouble. (But thank you) There is only one part I'm having trouble with. With this current set up you shared a year ago, page two takes priority and thus page one never shows.
I think it has to do with the second page's condition where 0 is greater than or equal to.

I'm pretty sure I have this event set up correctly, I have recently re read your post from a year ago multiple times and have doubled checked what I have set up.

Do you know a workaround so page two doesn't take priority? I have everything set up and ready to go.
This is the only part that needs fixing.

Thanks again for replying and taking the time to help me out. :)

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With this current set up you shared a year ago, page two takes priority and thus page one never shows.
I think it has to do with the second page's condition where 0 is greater than or equal to.
No problem, hope it helps!

And huh, that's odd that page 2 is causing issues. Variables are able to hold negative values, so once Berry Tree 1's variable dips below 0, it should no longer trigger page 2.
You could try changing page 2's condition to greater or equal to 1 to see if that changes anything. Otherwise though, you could post screenshots of the berry tree's 2 pages and the common event, and I'll take a look to see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem, hope it helps!

And huh, that's odd that page 2 is causing issues. Variables are able to hold negative values, so once Berry Tree 1's variable dips below 0, it should no longer trigger page 2.
You could try changing page 2's condition to greater or equal to 1 to see if that changes anything. Otherwise though, you could post screenshots of the berry tree's 2 pages and the common event, and I'll take a look to see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.
I'm confused. Your post from a year ago suggested to use greater than or equal to 0 as a page condition for page 2 of the event. If I am understanding right, the only option for variables as page conditions is the condition line where you choose a variable and a number that is greater than or equal to.

If variable starts as 0, but when plucked it is set 30, wouldn't that make page 2 the priority? (I'm only trying to understand, please correct me if I am wrong)

I'm trying out the 1 variable now. I am in play test mode and by using F9 I see that the variable is dropping from my 30 and the event started on page 1 but changed to page 2 when the berry was plucked. It seems to be working. But I'd like clarification as to why so I can fully understand.

(Thanks again!!!)

Edit 1: Setting the page condition as 1 makes the event "work". However should I be concerned if the bush variable enters the negative numbers? The parallel common event is still on going. Will that cause any lag or something that disrupts the game if there is too many of the berry bushes?

Last edited:

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If variable starts as 0, but when plucked it is set 30, wouldn't that make page 2 the priority? (I'm only trying to understand, please correct me if I am wrong)
Yep, that's correct. Once you pick the berry using the first event page, the variable is set to 30, and that will trigger the second event page.

The second page is just meant to be empty, so you aren't able to pick any more berries. Once the variable reaches below 0 again, the second page will turn off, allowing you to pick a new berry.

Edit: Just realized what you might be having problems with. Try setting the tree variables to -1 at the start of the game.

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep, that's correct. Once you pick the berry using the first event page, the variable is set to 30, and that will trigger the second event page.

The second page is just meant to be empty, so you aren't able to pick any more berries. Once the variable reaches below 0 again, the second page will turn off, allowing you to pick a new berry.

Edit: Just realized what you might be having problems with. Try setting the tree variables to -1 at the start of the game.
It actually crossed my mind if the bush needed to start at another number than 0 but I didn't think any further than that. This makes more sense now. So I just need to reset the bushes to -1 and have then set up to reset at -1 after the event plays itself?

So I could create a conditional branch in the common event that checks and resets it to -1. Right?

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It actually crossed my mind if the bush needed to start at another number than 0 but I didn't think any further than that. This makes more sense now. So I just need to reset the bushes to -1 and have then set up to reset at -1 after the event plays itself?

So I could create a conditional branch in the common event that checks and resets it to -1. Right?
With the current setup, you should only have to set the variables to -1 once, at the start of the game.

The only reason I mention setting them to -1 is because otherwise, the trees won't be ready at the start of the game until you wait 1 "wait cycle".

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With the current setup, you should only have to set the variables to -1 once, at the start of the game.

The only reason I mention setting them to -1 is because otherwise, the trees won't be ready at the start of the game until you wait 1 "wait cycle".
That's because the variable was "set" to "-1" correct? That negative 1 will remain constant. (Unless otherwise changed) Am I understanding correctly?

What about the variable counting pass negative 1? Will that cause any problems?

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's because the variable was "set" to "-1" correct? That negative 1 will remain constant. (Unless otherwise changed) Am I understanding correctly?

What about the variable counting pass negative 1? Will that cause any problems?
Yep, having the variable set to negative 1 at the start of the game allows the trees to be harvested as soon as the game starts.

Once you pick the berry, the variable is then set to 30.

Then, in the background, the paralell process common event makes the variable subtract 1 after a wait command.

After the common event makes the variable subtract 31 times, the variable is back to negative 1, and the tree can be harvested again.

There's no problem with the variable counting lower than negative 1. Since you set it back to 30 when you harvest the tree, the variable could be negative ten-thousand, and still work just fine. :)

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had everything set up, the only thing missing was setting the bush variable to -1. That was it, that one little variable.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and reply! I really appreciate it. I've learned so much. You are awesome!

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha, glad I could help! :kaothx:

Just let me know if you run into any other questions.

Sakurra

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha, glad I could help! :kaothx:

Just let me know if you run into any other questions.

Haha, I'll try to figure it out and work with it awhile before I bother you again. I wish I could help you in return with something.

But all I can offer is simple sprites or working with templates to import custom images/tilesets/charsets etc. I know it's not much but thought I throw it out there.

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am trying to get my game published with Aldorlea Games so that I make sales from their website and the game being on Steam. They have said that their published games rarely make less than a few hundred dollars.
DoubleXP wrote on Tonbi's profile.
Hello Wondering if you take commissions?
I should make an itch.io page one of these days...Maybe for my next large update.
whoops, forgot to get started with Advent posts! coming shortly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TatlTaelGamer