Can we change the font?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker 2000/2003' started by XNam360, Oct 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. XNam360

XNam360 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Do we have the ability to customize the font in this version of RPG Maker 2003?

Here's what the official RM2k3 English "Changelog" says about the fonts:

Editor and engine
    • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]New fonts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]MS Gothic/MS Mincho as bitmap fonts (“RPG2000”/”RPG2000G”).[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The fonts are now packaged with the software (both editor and runtime) itself and can be used while the software is running, without permanent installation to the Windows “Fonts” folder. This means that players also don’t have to install any additional fonts anymore.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]___________________________________________________________________[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]I guess not having to worry about the changing anything in the Windows fonts folder may be a convenience. But this concerns me, because in the "unofficial" version of RPG Maker 2003, it was easy to change the font by simply renaming a custom font into "RM2000.fon" and then pasting that into the Windows font folder. However, if fonts are no longer handled by the Windows font folder, then does that mean we are no longer able to customize the fonts like that? Are we stuck with using only the MS Gothic & MS Mincho fonts? I really hope that's not the case, because custom fonts can be very important to a game.[/SIZE]

2. Kamillo

Kamillo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    polish
    You can open RPG_RT.exe in hex editor, find RPG2000 and RPG2000G names and change for your fonts names, because is patch eula.
    And in this moment you must paste fonts for windows/fonts that work in game.

Your old way is bad, because this not should change fonts names in font only change fonts names in RPG_RT.exe, because in first way all your games have not standard font and in second way only you game have not standard font!

Unfortunately in RM2000 not have patch eula so change font is broke license.

3. Cherry

Cherry RM2k(3) Developer (English Version) Developer

First Language:
    German
    For 2k3 (since there is a patch EULA): You could replace the two font resources inside the ultimate_rt_eb.dll, but you would have to edit the fonts so their name is "RPG2000" and "RPG2000G" or alternatively change the name using a font changer utility (e.g. Hyper Patcher 2).

And yes, the old way is not a good way because it would affect all the RM games on the computer.

(There might be a way to customize the font in a future update, but I wouldn't count on it.)

DeadElf79 likes this.
  4. XNam360

XNam360 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the quick replies, but I'm a bit confused. :(

Can you please clarify this?: "You could replace the two font resources inside the ultimate_rt_eb.dll"

You mean I'd have to edit the dll file? I'm not so sure I understand how to do that. Can you please describe a bit more? Does everyone who plays my game have to do the same thing if I want all players to see my custom font? Or does this alter my game so that the custom font will show up for anyone who plays it?

I understand that my old way changes the font for all the RM games on the computer and it requires everyone who plays my game to mess with the Windows font folder, but it was also pretty easy to revert back to the original font by simply pasting the original font back into the Windows font folder again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  5. Cherry

First Language:
    German
    It would alter your game. You would have to use a resource editor such as Resource Hacker and replace the RCDATA resources with IDs 100 and 101 with the new font files. Note that the engine would still look for "RPG2000" and "RPG2000G" so the names must match, unless you change the names as well using a tool like Hyper Patcher 2 (not sure if it works with the official version correctly, though, make sure you make a backup).

6. XNam360

XNam360 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I will try to figure out what you said to do with the Resource Hacker. But I'm still kinda confused by something. If my new font doesn't go in the Windows font folder, then where am I supposed to move the new font file? Which folder do I put it in? Does that matter?

7. Cherry

First Language:
    German
    Into the DLL, as I just explained :) So it's residing there instead of residing in a folder.

8. XNam360

XNam360 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    All right, it's been over a year, but I finally bought the official RPG Maker 2003.

My question of how to change the font was honestly the only thing keeping me from buying it earlier. If I had gotten clear instructions, I would have bought it right away. But I never actually got a clear answer to my question, which is why I was reluctant to buy it. However I finally went ahead and bought it anyway, so now I'd like to figure this out.

I appreciate the answers by Cherry... but frankly though, I don't really understand what he's talking about - and can you really blame me? Simply telling me to use Resource Hacker & Hyper Patcher to do it is not helpful to me, because, quite simply, I don't know how to use Resource Hacker & Hyper Patcher. About as much as I can do is download and open Resource Hacker & Hyper Patcher, but that's it. I don't know how to use these things. Sorry, but I need step by step instructions on how to do it.

Looks like what I need to do is 1) "use a resource editor such as Resource Hacker and replace the RCDATA resources with IDs 100 and 101 with the new font files," and 2) "change the names of the fonts to "RPG2000" and "RPG2000G" so the names match, using a tool like Hyper Patcher 2"

I'd be surprised if anyone actually bothers to take any time to explain this to me, but I'd really quite like to know how to do this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2016
  9. Kamillo

Kamillo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    polish