Can we get a tutorial request subforum?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Tea's Jams, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm a youtuber and am always looking for new idea's for Rpg Maker related content. It would be fabulous to know what tutorials people still need. I'm sure it would be useful to a lot of content creators and just the folks who like to help each other out on this forum as well! :D

starlight dream likes this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd just look through the support forums and see what people are asking for. Something that gets requested often is a good candidate for a tutorial.

A lot of people are not going to know what needs a tutorial and what needs a one-line answer. So they'll post in tutorial requests because they want someone to show them how to do something, rather than a few basic instructions on what they need to do, which they then have to interpret (ie "think about").

Tea's Jams likes this.
  3. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to be active enough on this forum to do that, but now that I'm working on one or two youtube videos a day, I can't keep current here. I pop in from time to time though, and I know at least one other Rpg Maker youtuber does. I just thought it might be useful for that purpose.

4. inazumathelightning

inazumathelightning The Pixel prince Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Why not teach people some more advanced stuff like making custom menus with srd's plugins, working in dragonbones for animations, and some of the stuff others really don't go deep into. If you are really good at it you could even teach how balancing works for stats in rpg maker with stats and stuff. A lot of stuff that others don't really cover.

5. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Hi, @just1witness

I have to admit, I agree it is good to know what people want to know about, but I think you are not going about it in the best way, if you don't mind me saying so. What you want to do is become good at something yourself, then break it down into bits that are important for others to know. Then check and see if there is a need for a better video tut on the subject.

For example, there are tuts on minigames - a wide variety of quality and style and application involved there. But how will you know how to be the best one out there? Well, by doing them all! And that will probably mean that you would be active here or somewhere else. So I recommend that you keep that great heart to help, and fine tune it with more behind the scenes prep. In the end you will make a name for yourself that way.

6. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @inazumathelightning Thank you for the excellent suggestions! :D

@GrandmaDeb Thank you for the input. I actually do mostly First Impressions at this point, but I work with someone who has done almost 300 Rpg Maker MV tutorials and is looking for idea's for more (which kinda makes me want to get back into them a little too) I think you are talking about the tutorial making process, which I agree takes research. I am trying to get to know what people want and need so days of research to make a tutorial doesn't get wasted on a subject that people really don't need to know about. To begin the process and remain effective knowing what people are currently looking to do with the engine and not finding enough information on would be invaluable.

7. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @just1witness, congrats on the partnership with the other YouTuber, love his stuff, it helped me immensely. Having played your IGMC entry, I was thinking maybe your tutorials could focus on story and writing, because your game did that very well and it seems a lot of RPGM devs think they're great writers but they aren't. (No offense to anyone). Also puzzles and puzzle mechanics might be a good place to start as well and see where it goes. Anyway, keep up the good work and good luck.

starlight dream and Tea's Jams like this.
  8. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you, it's so much fun working with him, he's even more brilliant at Rpg Maker mechanics than I previously realized. He has a truly astounding talent for game play development.

I love your suggestion for writing based videos! I already have an idea on how to implement an audience interactive script writing series. You rock! :D

OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  9. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @just1witness Subs!
    Don't be like me. I made videos unscripted.