Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently realized that, since my game has a semi-emphasis on weapons, I should probably revamp the "Bleed" mechanic, preferably from the ground up. Some possible effects I've brainstormed in the last few mins:
  • Physical DoT (duh)
  • TP DoT (lose TP over time (TP = Focus for my game)
    • I was thinking the chronic pain from the wound would make them lose Focus.
  • Halt/reduce TP generation (same reasoning as above, different method)
  • Reduce healing received
  • Stackable Bleeds
Any other ideas? You can describe how Bleeds work in your project or makeup something completely new/different if you wish.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
DoT damage + Take more damage when being attacked by slash damage.
I don't need anything fancy. It just works like this and I'm fine.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't know if I could implement it, and I don't know if it'd be too much. But, when someone is bleeding and are poisoned, perhaps bleeding could be turned to "infected wounds". Increase TP, HP and or MP degrading.

I think this could be achieved with some of Yanfly's plugins.
--
My own bleeding is simple HP loss that can fixed with bandages. It's very simple. I think your ideas are a neat way of making it more interesting.

JMsoup

New guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
Stat bleed! As you lose blood your body starts getting weaker, so maybe every alternate turn or so might reduce some stats, like MHP and Atk, and these don't recover until resting at an inn, eating high-protein foods or going to a hospital or something.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what if we wanted to build a combat system around Bleeds? Especially involving physical DPS characters. Like if the core mechanic of a certain class were Bleeds. Or let's say one of the main bread 'n butter moves could extend the Bleed duration by 1 turn.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know why it needs to be "more interesting". There's the saying of if it ain't broke, don't fix it; Bleeds already do exactly what they need to do, and they're easy to understand as they are.
For a class inflicting a bleed effect, I'd just go with additional skill effects triggering, if the target is affected by that bleed.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know why it needs to be "more interesting".
Well, my project has a Discipline (sorta like a class, but w/o restrictions) that specializes in Blood Magic. And another "class" that fights w/ claws, perfect for inflicting Bleeds. So I naturally want them to synergize (players can mix 'n match up to 3 Disciplines). Since blood is the common denominator between the two, making Bleeds more "interesting" was my go-to approach for going about this.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So what if we wanted to build a combat system around Bleeds?
Open Wounds (can be perk or skill)
> perk: every attack has a chance to add bleed
> skill: deals more damage and add bleed

Deep Cut (perk)
> Bleed is stackable
OR
> Bleed deals more dot damage

Salted Wound
> Increase critical rate/damage when bleeds
OR
> increase damage taken when bleeds

Everlasting Scar
> Bleed last longer (+2 turns for example)

Blood Surges
> Killing bleeding enemy recovers some HP/MP/TP or all of them
OR
> Deal damage to bleeding enemy recovers HP

Crippling Wound (perk)
> Also reduce the attack stats

(Idk what to name this)
> Killing bleeding enemy deals damage to surrounding enemy

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Blood Siphon)
> Drains target's HP w/ +10% effectiveness per turn remaining of target's Bleed.
>> e.g. If the target has 4 turns left on its Bleed debuff, the Lifesteal component is 140% effective.

(combine w/ Everlasting Scar for greater effect)

Last edited:

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I make bleeds increase the target (the one who is afflicted by the bleed) Ice damage taken, and then my warrior character gains an increase to his bleed damage done via a unique stat called Special. The Special stat varies, it does different things for each character, but for him, it increases bleed damage.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you guys make armor reduce the chance or effect of the bleeds?
That's a good (and realistic) idea!

I make bleeds increase the target (the one who is afflicted by the bleed) Ice damage taken
Curious as to why you chose Ice damage to be affected... I can think of a few reasonings, but they don't feel significant enough. Love to hear your logic behind this, thx.

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
blood is a liquid, of which water is included within it's composition. one could say that if you are wet, you could take increased damage from cold, yes? granted, you wouldn't necessarily be soaked in blood if you are bleeding, but.... yeah. and I do agree it doesn't feel overly substantial, but it isn't supposed to. bleeds are but one type of debuff in my game.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The blood mage adds a neat wrinkle into the potential combo possibilities.

It'd take some work to code, but what if the blood mage has a status ailment it can cast like "burning blood". If a target with "burning blood" also receives "bleed" it takes bleed DoT and the enemy troop takes fire damage equal to the DoT.

Or maybe flip it around. Maybe the blood mage has skills that can only target a bleeding enemy.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game has an emphasis on pretty much everything being deadly. You need to cure states because they can't be ignored.

To that end, my "Bleeds" do as much damage as an enemy hitting you does. This exists in order to force players to CURE the bleed. Otherwise, like most RPG's, the players will ignore it.

I can't count the number of RPG's I've played and beaten without ever using a "Cure X State" consumable, in battle, or otherwise. Poison? Ignore it. Doesn't do enough damage to warrant curing, and I'll win the next attack anyway. Blind? Ignore it, I'll just cast magic until it wears off. Silence? Ignore it, and I'll just physically attack instead.

Only truly detrimental states have I ever bothered to cure. One of the Final Fantasy games had a state that made the XP you earned be 0 at the end of each fight. I cured that one as quickly as possible.

Anyway, I have several bleeds.

Can Be Inflicted on Player or Monsters
Poison - Basic DOT. Does nothing special except bleed your HP. 2%, 5%, 10%, or 20%, depending on severity of Poison state. Lasts 3-5, 5-8, 8-12, or 12-15 turns (depending on severity).
Burn - Situational DOT. Lowers HP and Defense by 3%, 5%, 10%, or 20%. Depends on severity of Burn state. Lasts 3-5, 3-6, 3-7, or 3-10 turns (depending on severity).

Can Be Inflicted on Only Monsters
Bleed - Powerful DOT. One Tier. Drains HP and MP by 12% each tick. Cures in 3 turns.
Hellfire - Overpowered DOT. One Tier. Drains 25% of HP each tick. Cures in 1-4 turns.
Sap Potential - MP DOT. One Tier. 5% MP drained every turn. Cures in 3 turns.

Anyway, the idea is that the player wants to cure the first two as quickly as possible and inflict the others as often as possible. MP is a reasonable resource to drain from my enemies or bosses in my game, so inflicting MP damage is a viable strategy to shutting down their stronger attacks. Hellfire, in particular is only inflicted through a "Limit Break", so it's a Risk/Reward type deal. It may kill an enemy in 4 turns. Or, it may just deal a ton of damage for 1 turn or a few turns.

The player should want to cure Poison because it hits as hard as the enemies do. The player should want to inflict/cure Burn because it actively increases the amount of damage that can be dealt to the target.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just realised that the reason behind me not being able to make a game may be the lack of my original resources. I just dont like the look of MV faces and sprites, lol. Guess I will have make my own art.
I'm posting a commission art soon! :kaoswt2:
So here's a fun/tragic fact about me: I have an awful memory. But to be correct, I have memory "leaks". My memory is actually amazing, my issue is I can't keep memories for long, in fact, I once forgot my name. :kaoswt2:
The neighbourhood cats brought me a kitten today. They sat him on the step and semi-circled him. He's adorable, but now I gotta find somewhere for him.
So basically, I added strings to my musics and BAM, it doesn't sound empty anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r042896