Can you autorun SFX in an area without lag?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Pancaketophat, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Pancaketophat

Pancaketophat Hello! Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I tried to autorun SFX in a room for when you enter it, but that causes copious amounts of lag. I know it's the SFX because when I removed it from the scene it continued running at the normal framerate. What's another way to play the SFX in an area without lag?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean autorun. I set it to run parallel.

Edit Edit: I shouldn't have posted to the fourms so hastily I'm sorry. I solved the problem like a big dummy. If you want ambient sounds to play in the background and run parallel in an area, you HAVE to put it in the BGS folder, and not as a normal sound effect. I'm not sure why, but it lags the game a bunch.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. JayIsrael

JayIsrael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No need to apologize. By posting your problem and its solution you may likely help someone else who has this issue when they search the problem.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    and the lag wasn't caused by the sound either, it was caused by you continually running the parallel process. Just adding a wait(20) or so into the parallel process would have solved the problem as well.

I strongly suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and work through the tutorials linked there, because you're repeating known errors when doing things on your own without a guide.

caethyril likes this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One of the other reasons is BGS is for looping sounds meant to repeat, SE is really meant for one time use sound effects. Now you can use SE to repeat over and over but if you put it in a parallel process with no waits it will be trying to run it 60x a second, which was the cause of your lag.

5. Pancaketophat

Pancaketophat Hello! Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'll definitely give it a look! Thanks. I haven't been going totally solo because I feel like my brain would explode if I did. I found a youtube series spanning like 30 episodes I think?

I can't really be the judge if its a GOOD tutorial or not, me not knowing what the essentials are. I've gotten to the point where I know how to use switches, variables, and self switches.
    Still, I'll totally look through that tutorial to get better. No such thing as too much help.