Can you create an engine inside or with another engine?

CapeHeart

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had see these plugins that said "engine" in their names, and I'm just curious to know how this works.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The answer to this depends largely on how you define "engine" but the basic answer is "kinda".

Since RPG Maker XP, the game engine has largely been driven by scripts in Ruby or Javascript, and one defining feature of those scripts is that any part of them can be rewritten or replaced. Therefore, it's possible to write scripts that replace the engine with an entirely different one, and from that perspective I guess you are sort of making an engine in an engine. But it would be more accurate to say you're replacing one engine with a different one.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To me, an 'Engine' is a collective of systems that intentionally rely on, or compliment one another. Its normal that plugin developers would ensure compatibility at least with their own systems, some of them would likely fully replace existing features, where other plugins might only further enhance the default engines behaviour.

IMO, an 'Engine' has to contain a significant number of systems. Like, having a 'battle engine' or something with only small changes to the battle system is silly; however, having a collection of large systems that fully overwrite every possible aspect of battles, and give you more control over how they function and flow ~ thats a different story..

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The coders who said the engine mean they put a lot of work like Yanfly Core Engine (YEP). Therefore, the plugin modified or extended many functions in the main code itself. "Engine is made for RPG Maker MV. This plugin functions primarily to fix bugs and to allow the user more control over RPG Maker MV's various features, such as the screen resolution, font, window colors, and more."

I say depends as you are aware some plugins do not get a long because it might not recognize each others, working different methods, or other headaches that the programmers will find when they are coding in general lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am thinking about redoing my portfolio video...
Degica has great discounts now on Steam too. MV & MV DLCs, VX Ace & VX Ace DLCs, and some DLC for MZ with a 10% discount. So if you are missing something, you can catch up now.
I'm streaming @jasonzeno 's game called Moonfall
I've been trying out Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, and it has an interesting approach to consumable items - you get a limited inventory that is automatically refreshed to max limits (1 or 2 each, craft to expand + improve effect) at the start of each combat. It's a mechanic that goes against the common urge to hoard consumables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KelvynVem