Pancaketophat

Hello!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi.
Im making my first project currently, And I've included a photo of a room with a character inside.
Is there a way to make the character sprites bigger, so they arent miniature in comparison to everything else? Even things like vases are at equal height with the character.

Attachments

• Screenshot_51.png
    Screenshot_51.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 25

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There are two issues here. One is the size of the sprite. As I am an Ace user, I won't get involved in how that might be adjusted, but my own instinct is to say that as you are using custom sprites, you simply make the sprites taller. The second relates to the map itself. This is not the place to go into that in any details - we have a dedicated thread where you can get specific feedback, but I will make one general point.

One thing you need to do is to make smaller maps. Taking the standard single bed as a reference, that makes a tile 3 feet wide. Your table is therefore 24 feet long. The amount of the room that we can see is 51 feet wide. Think about that in relation to the size of your own house or apartment.

Tigerawr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a Yanfly plugin for upscaling sprites. IMO it should be solved by making bigger sprites rather than using plugins tho.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to make the character sprites bigger,
just go into an image program like GIMP or Photoshop and increase the spritesize.

There is no fixed sprite size for anything in the engine, but you need to follow the sprite structure. Each cell in the structure has to have the same size, and the number of cells has to stay the same (either 3x4 for single sprite or 12x8 for spritesheet).
But it doesn't matter to the engine if the cell size is 48x48 (default), 40x40 (smaller) or 48x96 (double height) or 200x200 (or even higher as long as it fits the screen)

Pancaketophat

Hello!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
There are two issues here. One is the size of the sprite. As I am an Ace user, I won't get involved in how that might be adjusted, but my own instinct is to say that as you are using custom sprites, you simply make the sprites taller. The second relates to the map itself. This is not the place to go into that in any details - we have a dedicated thread where you can get specific feedback, but I will make one general point.

One thing you need to do is to make smaller maps. Taking the standard single bed as a reference, that makes a tile 3 feet wide. Your table is therefore 24 feet long. The amount of the room that we can see is 51 feet wide. Think about that in relation to the size of your own house or apartment.

Thank you! I'll try making smaller environments. I didn't put thought into that. The characters do look appropriately sized on the overworld, so just making it all smaller would help. I feel like there was a Spongebob episode about this? lmao.

About the whole upscaling sprites thing, is there a tutorial explaining how to do it? I use a free program called Firealpaca for all my digital art. I used the standard walking sprite as a length/width reference and winged it from there.

Oh, also also, should I bring this to the dedicated thread you have instead? I don't use forums very often, so I'm sorry if I'm being annoying.Screenshot_53.png

Pancaketophat

Hello!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
just go into an image program like GIMP or Photoshop and increase the spritesize.

There is no fixed sprite size for anything in the engine, but you need to follow the sprite structure. Each cell in the structure has to have the same size, and the number of cells has to stay the same (either 3x4 for single sprite or 12x8 for spritesheet).
But it doesn't matter to the engine if the cell size is 48x48 (default), 40x40 (smaller) or 48x96 (double height) or 200x200 (or even higher as long as it fits the screen)

Do you know of any youtube tutorials explaining how to do this? It's not you, I'm just very dumb.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you want to reply to more than one person, use the Multiquote button, otherwise the forum software will automatically create a new post for every quote.

You are asking more than one question here, so a different answer for each one. If you want help with your sprites (because Game & Map Screenshot thread is only for that) you will need to post in Resource Support. If it's general advice you want, then post a thread. If it's feedback on a specific sprite, post in the WIP thread in that section.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Pancaketophat Open up gimp or photoshop. If you want to increase the size of the default characters, go to image --> image size and set the percentage to how much larger you want it to be and make sure nearest neighbour is set. (This is for photoshop though). If you're ysing custom sprites, sperate yiur canvas into grids. The grids should be of equal size and there must be 4 rows and 3 columns. Place your sprites into those grids and save the image as a png file. Also, there are some plugins that help the upscaling if sprites without editting. Try Yanfly's.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png
Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png
Hmm.... So I can use my quick ports of QPlugins, but QMovement breaks MZ's save system. Or I can use the Luna port of the QPlugins whose QMap breaks MZ's save system. I can't decide I want to fix one of those, or just make a new save system. The new one would look so much better.. I'm kind of tempted. :LZSexcite:
I'm very happy and I want everyone to be happy too, so I decided to share this song about the end of the world! :biggrin:
I just booked a spot for my COVID vaccine today. I am just waiting to see when they can get me in. I'll be so happy when I don't have to be paranoid about the virus anymore. I'm also thinking about moving to Atlanta, Georgia, Denver, Colorado, or Houston, Texas in the far future. Maybe once my channel gets off the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabiaryl